Racing Tips?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I just sign up with the local racing club, and just received my RC8T RTR. The next races are not until the end of the month so I am getting ready now. I have seen in pics in magazines that some people but some type of dirt or mud gaurds on the rear arms of their truggies. Do these serve their purpose? Are they necessary? I've been searching on the forums and haven't seen much info on these. If anybody can help, or put their input I am all ears.

If you are talking about the guards that attatch to the rear A Arms yes they serve there purpose well. Keeps alots of the grime off your shocks and drive area. They are not nessisary by no means but they will help keep things cleaner and from being gummed up. I made a set for my Jammin(RIP) out of some old clear plastic totes that I was forgeting to throw away but was told that Losi makes a set but couldn't find them. I did find these however and I'm sure they may fit most 1/8th scales with some modding.
http://www.deracing.net/products_mudguards.htm
hope this helps. :)

Good Luck on your first race! You will be hooked for sure...

As far as the guards, they pretty much do what you would expect them to do...keep dirt and grime off your rig ;-) Not needed, but you will thank them at cleanup time for sure...especially on the rear exhaust side of a Nitro Rig. That typically gets covered with sticky unburnt goo....depending on how lean/rich your engine is running.

thanks guys for the input. I've got some old lexan bodies that I think I will use to make some of those gaurds. How do I mount them on the A arms? Do I just drill holes in the A arms to attach the mud gaurds and use screws with nuts? I haven't checked my truggy but I don't think it already has screw holes. Just during break in, the rear side of the exhaust is already covered with junk. Thanks again.

Most arms already have screws in them for sway bars and/or shocks and possible hinge pins. I just re-used 2 existing screw locations for mine. If you drill, just pick areas that won't need the extra support you are taking out.

Just drill a small hole and use a small screw. They save the driveshafts and bearings from a lot of excess wear. These parts will last 3 times longer easy with mud guards installed.
Racing tips, slow and consistent is fast. Find out what tires everybody prefers at your track and buy a set. Soft compounds almost always are the way too go.
VP Pro makes excellent tires, They are all I run ATM. I am curious about some of the new J Concepts tires though. AKA I Beams and CityBlocks are also a good all around choice.
Speaking of tires, balance them with some modeling clay. A tire balancer is a good investment. Same principle as balncing your 1:1 tires. Tests have shown that balanced tires shave a full second or more off laptimes vs. non balanced tires.

Back