Questions on Capra 4WS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA0701

RCTalk Basher
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all! I just received my new Capra 4WS, have a lot of plans for the future of this rig, so far I am really impressed by it. One of the first things I would like to do is to use my RC8X, so that I may be able to take full advantage of the 4WS and dig options. I was told I would need a new motor/ESC, if I plan on using this radio, since the ESC in the Capra is combined with the receiver, is this true?

I also have some questions on the dig as well, as I purchased an AGFRC 7.5KG micro servo and the metal horn for it, for the dig. I was also told that in order to use this servo (apparently it is exactly the same servo as the Reef's 99), I'll also need a BEC, if this is the case, any recommendations on the best BEC for this application?

I already have some 1.9 RC4WD beadlocks, and a set of Hyrax tires, that I originally bought for the TRX4. Since that truck has evolved over the years, and no longer resembles something I would consider a crawler, I figure these tires are perfect for the new rig, though I may likely end up putting some pins on it. I also have some Desert Lizard 90mm shocks, which I plan on installing in a droop configuration, to try and keep the top of this rig as low as I can, while still trying to have plenty of flex for the narly stuff. A lot of learning and experimentation to do with this rig, so like everything we do, nothing is etched in stone, those 1.9s may become 2.2s at some point, and I will be going brushless in it at some point. My wife used to tell me I spend too much time on Dluxfab oggling their creations, and they have lots for the Capras, for sure, so this will likely evolve of the years as well.

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance and assistance any of you might be able to provide. I am for sure open to any and all suggestions, many of you have years of experience with the Capra, there is no need to recreate the wheel.

Yes to new esc.not sure on the motor(what type of motor is in unit ? )

It has a brushed 35T Axial motor installed. If I can get away with simply buying a new ESC for now, than that will work, as my plans are to eventually drop an Axe R2 540 either 2100 or 2800kv motor/esc set into it.

Thank you for your help!

The installed motor will work with a new esc.no issues there.
big difference from a 35t brushed to a 2100kv+ brushless(way faster top end from brushless.)
Id go down in kv then you will have the torque you had with the 35T

Last edited:
The Castle 10A BEC is what I would get for it. You will also need the Castle Link programmer to adjust it.

I would just leave it stock until you are ready to upgrade the motor. You might consider the QuicRun Fusion Pro FOC 2-in-1 motor/ESC. I hear a lot of people bragging about how good that setup is.

Last edited:
The installed motor will work with a new esc.no issues there.
big difference from a 35t brushed to a 2100kv+ brushless(way faster top end from brushless.)
Id go down in kv then you will have the torque you had with the 35T
I have an 1800KV Axe system, the one from the Gen8 Axe I have, that thing really rips, smokes my TRX4, it was my wife's favorite rig and she was all about the speed. With what I am trying to do with this truck, making a monster climber, torque will be more valuable, so definitely don't want to lose torque for gaining wheel speed. Thank you, very much!

The Castle 10A BEC is what I would get for it. You will also need the Castle Link programmer to adjust it.

I would just leave it stock until you are ready to upgrade the motor. You might consider the QuicRun Fusion Pro FOC 2-in-1 motor/ESC. I hear a lot of people bragging about how good that setup is.
Thank you for the BEC recommendation, that really helps! I was hoping to get the most out of the 4WS, right away, as the stock 4WS is only in 50% increments. Better than not having any at all, and clearly the dig isn't going to happen right away either, as I'll need that BEC, so once again, I think I have been steered correct here, running it as is, until I get everything together all at once is the right path I think.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Fusion Pro system, I know that Francis at RC Review loves it, not to mention the space savings on a rig like this. From what I have read, I won't need a new skid to fit the Fusion Pro under there, either, so it is a win-win. Thank you, again, very much!

**Edit**
I was wrong, the Fusion Pro has a BEC output of 7.4V, and the servo in question is 8.4V. So, I'll need that BEC regardless. Thank you again!

Last edited:
I have an 1800KV Axe system, the one from the Gen8 Axe I have, that thing really rips, smokes my TRX4, it was my wife's favorite rig and she was all about the speed. With what I am trying to do with this truck, making a monster climber, torque will be more valuable, so definitely don't want to lose torque for gaining wheel speed. Thank you, very much!

Thank you for the BEC recommendation, that really helps! I was hoping to get the most out of the 4WS, right away, as the stock 4WS is only in 50% increments. Better than not having any at all, and clearly the dig isn't going to happen right away either, as I'll need that BEC, so once again, I think I have been steered correct here, running it as is, until I get everything together all at once is the right path I think.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Fusion Pro system, I know that Francis at RC Review loves it, not to mention the space savings on a rig like this. From what I have read, I won't need a new skid to fit the Fusion Pro under there, either, so it is a win-win. Thank you, again, very much!

**Edit**
I was wrong, the Fusion Pro has a BEC output of 7.4V, and the servo in question is 8.4V. So, I'll need that BEC regardless. Thank you again!
Sounds like a good plan. That's the way I would go with it.

I don't know how the micro servos are setup in the Capra, but I know on our Ryft build, using any other servo besides the seriously crappy Spektrum one created a lot of difficulties trying to find a servo saver setup. I ended up having to design and print my own adapter to make it work because Spektrum uses their own proprietary gear spline on their servos because they are complete idiots over there.

Let me know how yours goes setting up the dig. I want to grab a Capra, so it would be nice to know what to expect.

Sounds like a good plan. That's the way I would go with it.

I don't know how the micro servos are setup in the Capra, but I know on our Ryft build, using any other servo besides the seriously crappy Spektrum one created a lot of difficulties trying to find a servo saver setup. I ended up having to design and print my own adapter to make it work because Spektrum uses their own proprietary gear spline on their servos because they are complete idiots over there.

Let me know how yours goes setting up the dig. I want to grab a Capra, so it would be nice to know what to expect.
I most certainly will do. I have seen a few videos and forum comments regarding the servos, and there is a really good video from a guy explaining his process on using the Reef's 99, which is the same as the AGFRC I am using. In his video, and a few others I have seen, they merely used a servo horn, foregoing the servo saver. In this case the Reefs/AGFRC servo horn, which apparently requires one of the holes to be drilled a little bigger to fit the dig screw that connects the transmission. Due to the Spektrum servo problems, the list is too long to count, a lot of people have started looking for a different solution. I am not sure what the rules are for posting videos, or links to them, here. But, I will gladly share the video I am referring to here, if it is permissible.

Fusion Pro is smooth, really like mine a lot. :thumbs-up:
I, literally, have not heard a single negative comment about that motor/esc, but a whole lot of positive. Not to mention, it is my understanding that the Fusion Pro will fit in the Capra with no mods, or new skids, required. Nothing but upsides for that rig, as far as I can see. Being a crawler, modulation is really important, and as I understand it the Fusion Pro is really smooth and responsive, and at very slow speeds.

I most certainly will do. I have seen a few videos and forum comments regarding the servos, and there is a really good video from a guy explaining his process on using the Reef's 99, which is the same as the AGFRC I am using. In his video, and a few others I have seen, they merely used a servo horn, foregoing the servo saver. In this case the Reefs/AGFRC servo horn, which apparently requires one of the holes to be drilled a little bigger to fit the dig screw that connects the transmission. Due to the Spektrum servo problems, the list is too long to count, a lot of people have started looking for a different solution. I am not sure what the rules are for posting videos, or links to them, here. But, I will gladly share the video I am referring to here, if it is permissible.

I, literally, have not heard a single negative comment about that motor/esc, but a whole lot of positive. Not to mention, it is my understanding that the Fusion Pro will fit in the Capra with no mods, or new skids, required. Nothing but upsides for that rig, as far as I can see. Being a crawler, modulation is really important, and as I understand it the Fusion Pro is really smooth and responsive, and at very slow speeds.
You can share videos here. Just post the link and it will embed the video into your post.

That Fusion Pro has the FOC technology built into it. I have read about it, but didn't really understand it til I watched this.

You can share videos here. Just post the link and it will embed the video into your post.

That Fusion Pro has the FOC technology built into it. I have read about it, but didn't really understand it til I watched this.
That is fantastic, and very helpful, both on the FOC information, and on the posting of videos. Thank you, very much, for the assist.

This is the video I was referring to. This is not the only one, on the topic, but one of the better ones. I have seen a few videos of guys running their dig servos without a servo saver, and even during repeated engagements, the servo doesn't get hot. The strength of the servo helps in this regard as well, it seems, with dig being enabled/disabled on the fly, and very quickly.

Yeah, we like pics 😁
20220322_003102.jpg

man i read thru all that and not one single pic of your capra.... i feel so cheated. lemme seeeeee it
I am sorry, how negligent of me. I have some body panels to put on today, and likely the shocks and rims and tires, I will get some pics uploaded just as soon as that is done. Thanks!

*EDIT*
Actually, I will get some pics up in the next little bit, of the stock rig, so we can then see the changes as they happen. Hopefully, even better. Cheers!

Last edited:
Looks really nice! How do you like the Ryft?
I built that from the kit, which sadly the morons at Horizon discontinued along with the kit version of the Capra, which I had intended to build next. The Ryft kit is one of the best kits I have ever assembled. It doesn't do well driving around on flat terrain. It loves to flip over. We don't have anywhere here to run it, so it has been more of a shelf queen.

I built that from the kit, which sadly the morons at Horizon discontinued along with the kit version of the Capra, which I had intended to build next. The Ryft kit is one of the best kits I have ever assembled. It doesn't do well driving around on flat terrain. It loves to flip over. We don't have anywhere here to run it, so it has been more of a shelf queen.
Are those rear links stock, maybe something specific to that kit? Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention, but they certainly stick out to me now. Awesome looking rig! I have seen a ton of videos on them, and with some added power they seem very capable at what they were built to do, rock hopping. I know Kevin Talbot is building a beast of a Ryft, can't wait to see that when he's done.

It's all stock chassis. I went with the Tekin RX4 ESC along with their ROC 412HD motor and a Tekin high torque servo. It is a beast.

It's all stock chassis. I went with the Tekin RX4 ESC along with their ROC 412HD motor and a Tekin high torque servo. It is a beast.
Man, I hope you can get it out bouncing some rocks soon. I know how that would be eating at me, all those goodies, just sitting on the shelf growling at everything that walks by.