Motor for Capra?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarfnort

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I got a new Capra 4WS last week. Some idiot on the FB Capra group recommended the Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300kv for it. Well, turns out it doesn't fit. It looks like the Hobbywing Axe 540 2300kv will fit, just barely... but I wanted to ask and see if anybody knows for sure. Or if not this motor, what do you suggest?

Meanwhile, I have this new Fusion Pro with nothing to do. I doubt AMain will take it back since it's been opened. I have a Ryft that I was going to turn into a crawler, but then somebody said that motor isn't enough for a Ryft. Does anybody agree (or disagree) with this? And like with above, if not this motor, what would you suggest for a crawler motor? The 550 perhaps? It's 3300kv.

Thanks.

I'm running the Castle Creations Copperhead combo in mine. 3200KV I believe. Plenty of power and runs very cool, very smooth.

That being said, I like the Hobbywing Axe system better. The 'auto load response ' of the axe system is great!

They both are bluetooth compatable although I believe you have to buy the module separately with the castle system and its built in to the hobbywing. Both have easy to use apps for apple and android.

I will admit I'm a bit of an amateur crawler and only recently got into this part of the hobby. I usually just jump and crash and brake stuff so take my opinion for what its worth. I know most hard core crawler guys seem to be on the brushed side of the fence.

Last edited:
Hmm. I have the Castle Copperhead X combo in my other Ryft, the 2400kv model. The Castle website shows it being about 70mm long, which is way too long. 50mm appears to be the limit, which the 550 is.

Edit: Ahh, you have the 1406 motor which is right at 50mm. Mine is the 1415 which is 70mm.

Last edited:
That is correct. I just happen to have it in pieces right now and I just measured, 50mm. Its a tight fit too.
I have the Axe system in a Trx4. This is the Capra undergoing some surgery.

Attachments

• 20220830_211959.jpg
    20220830_211959.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have a Vader skidplate coming on Friday... hoping that'll open up a touch of space, but from what I hear, if it does, it's not much.

I just ordered the AXE 540L-2300kv combo; it'll be here Saturday, and I've emailed AMain to see if they'll take back the opened Fusion Pro.

Blarfnort
You will have to trim the top of the upper link mount to make the Fusion motor to work, might also think about dropping down to a 11thooth pinion ( I think that's right.. I'd have to check when I get home)... The new 2300kv pro is shorter (37x58) than the Fusion 1800kv(36x64) that I'm running in two different Capra's , both with Vader skidplates. One has stock pinion, other has the 11thooth. I'll try to get pictures after work if you want. if you can't get it to fit and Amain wont take it back I might be able to take it off you hands, got a new build and it might just work out for what I'm planning...
also..... welcome to the forum

Thanks @cdstatz... I do have an 11T on order, and I also ordered the AXE 540L (due Saturday). If AMain won't take the other motor back I'll let you know, thanks there too. I'm sooooo freakin' broke from ordering parts and buying cars, I've finally had to make myself STOP. :)

Okay while I'm at it, I'm gonna complain... my new Outcast was supposed to be here Friday. Well, Fedex being the crappy company that they are has it marked "delayed" and now it'll be Tuesday. So much for bashing this weekend. Sigh. I'll work on the Capra and get it ready to go and take it and my Ryft out someplace to play,.

Hey, new question... I'm reassembling the Capra with the stock motor to use it until the new motor arrives. But I see there's a capacitor attached under the cage that I know plugged into the receiver... problem is I don't remember which port. Help please? :)

Hey, new question... I'm reassembling the Capra with the stock motor to use it until the new motor arrives. But I see there's a capacitor attached under the cage that I know plugged into the receiver... problem is I don't remember which port. Help please? :)

any port after your first 3 should work

Thanks for the quick reply! It's back together and running. While I had it apart I went ahead and changed the servos. Reefs 444 up front and one of those Amazon 35kg's in the back. Got the endpoints set. Now I really need a place to go use the thing. I have a big pile of rocks that it makes quick work of (my 1/24's can't touch it, and only my TRX-6 can make it up on one particular line). The Ryft... well, it's not that it goes up it, more like it jumps OVER it. And the last time I did that, it ended up in the creek. D'oh. Poor placement of that pile.. .but when I made the pile, I didn't have a Ryft. :)

What exactly is that capacitor for anyway? Do I want to keep it when I change motors?

Capacitors used in that respect are typically filters to remove unwanted RFI. I'm not sure about the Capra specifically. I bought mine as a kit with no electronics. Didn't know they put one in there on the RTR's.