Vanquish VS4-10 kit build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I bought a VS4-10 kit a few months back and I'll be starting assembly soon. I wanted to get some input from the group here on what electronics to use. The kit I purchased has selectable overdrive and dig. I'll be pairing it to an FS GT5 and 6 channel rx that I've had laying around for a while.

I have several TRX 4's and an Axial Capra but am fairly new to the crawler game. I have a castle copperhead system in my Capra and a Hobbywing Axe system in one of the TRX 4's. The rest are still factory brushed systems. Of the two I mentioned, I like the HW Axe better due to the auto load sensing but I thought I'd get some opinions from some more experienced guys. More concerned with quality over cost so the options are plentiful. I'm not doing any competitions really, just with the wife.

Any upgrades I should do right away? Tires and wheels? All opinions welcome.

I have built the VS-410 phoenix straight axle and portal version. In the straight axle I put a Castle Micro x2 paired with a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540 2200kv motor. It is so smooth and has plenty of power with a 3s battery. I put method 105 wheels with the Falken Wildpeak tires from Vanquish. I also set it up for selectable dig and overdrive.

I went a different route with my portal build. I put a hobbywing 1080 paired with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Expert 16t motor. I put method 105 wheels paired with some proline BF Goodrich tires and CI foams.

Both trucks work pretty well. I don't do any hardcore crawling so I can't speak to that aspect. The reason I go with castle for brushless setups is because I love that I can switch between crawler and rock racer mode with the push of a button. Crawler mod with full drag break, but then if I am just messing around I put it in rock racer mode which disables the drag break.
I did not do any upgrades on mine except for wheels/tires. (I did put the steel driveshafts on the straight axle version, but I don't think it was necessary at all) The tires that come with the truck are pretty narrow. It is a pretty solid truck right out of the box.

I forgot to mention that mine is the portal version, not that it would make a difference to the electronics. Will a 550 can fit in this platform? I assume so but all the builds I've read about used a 540 so I was curious.

Did you know that the Hobbywing axe system has bluetooth built in so that you can make adjustments on the fly with your phone, such as drag brake and throttle curve? You can do the same with Castle systems but you have to buy the bluetooth adapter separate.

I forgot to mention that mine is the portal version, not that it would make a difference to the electronics. Will a 550 can fit in this platform? I assume so but all the builds I've read about used a 540 so I was curious.

Did you know that the Hobbywing axe system has bluetooth built in so that you can make adjustments on the fly with your phone, such as drag brake and throttle curve? You can do the same with Castle systems but you have to buy the bluetooth adapter separate.
I have not tried to fit a 550 motor in the Vanquish. I like castle for other reasons as well. I'm not sure about the axe system because I have not owned one yet, but I like that I can use the castle programming to set throttle curve and break curve. I have a Mamba X2 Micro in my Vanquish, a Copperhead/Holmes Hobbies 540xl in my Axial Ryft, a Mamba X/ 2280 slate motor in my TRX4, a MMX in my fireteam, and a XLX2/800kv for my Baja 5b. I have had really good luck with the hobbywing stuff too, which I have in my 1/10 racing rigs. One of these days I will get an Axe system and give it a try.

Of the two HH motors your running in the VS-410's, which do you like better? Why? I'd like to try one of his motors. What pinion sizes are you running on the two?

Is there an advantage to running a 550 over a 540 can? I would assume the 550 has more power and a little more weight. Both the systems I'm running are 540 so I don't really have a comparison.

The baja 5b looks pretty cool. I bet it rips with the XLX2.

I really like the axe system. Its in my wife's TRX4 K5. She loves the "cruise control" feature as she calls it. You can bump throttle trim till it just starts to move and it will climb anything. Doesn't even bog down when you turn with the diffs locked.

Of the two HH motors your running in the VS-410's, which do you like better? Why? I'd like to try one of his motors. What pinion sizes are you running on the two?

Is there an advantage to running a 550 over a 540 can? I would assume the 550 has more power and a little more weight. Both the systems I'm running are 540 so I don't really have a comparison.

The baja 5b looks pretty cool. I bet it rips with the XLX2.

I really like the axe system. Its in my wife's TRX4 K5. She loves the "cruise control" feature as she calls it. You can bump throttle trim till it just starts to move and it will climb anything. Doesn't even bog down when you turn with the diffs locked.
It's a different feel for both. I absolutely love Holmes Hobbies motors. The puller pro 540 is amazing. It has great low speed control, and the drag break is solid. The drag break on the castle slate motor is lacking in my opinion. I have the Puller Pro 540L 2200kv in my Axial Ryft and it is almost uncontrollable on 2s. 4s would be insane.

The 550 can is longer than the 540 can and will give you more torque. If you want better info on the differences and how they perform in different trucks then check out Holmes Hobbies on youtube. He explains it so well and has many videos.

I love the castle mmx and 2280kv slate motor in my trx4 sport with remote diffs. It rips on 3s and is pretty stable with the diffs unlocked, but I have my throttle curve set so I have to press the trigger about halfway before it starts really hitting it so I can creep pretty controllably.
I am using the stock pinion, which I think is a 15t

What about Tekin? They are supposed to be quality.
I haven't used Tekin stuff since the 90's. I had several back then and had good luck with them. I don't see a lot of other people running their systems or reviewing their products as much as other big brands.
It's a different feel for both. I absolutely love Holmes Hobbies motors. The puller pro 540 is amazing. It has great low speed control, and the drag break is solid. The drag break on the castle slate motor is lacking in my opinion. I have the Puller Pro 540L 2200kv in my Axial Ryft and it is almost uncontrollable on 2s. 4s would be insane.

The 550 can is longer than the 540 can and will give you more torque. If you want better info on the differences and how they perform in different trucks then check out Holmes Hobbies on youtube. He explains it so well and has many videos.

I love the castle mmx and 2280kv slate motor in my trx4 sport with remote diffs. It rips on 3s and is pretty stable with the diffs unlocked, but I have my throttle curve set so I have to press the trigger about halfway before it starts really hitting it so I can creep pretty controllably.
I am using the stock pinion, which I think is a 15t
I was looking on H.H.'s website and they only show to have 2100kv or 2700kv and higher. Of the two, which would you recommend?

I haven't used Tekin stuff since the 90's. I had several back then and had good luck with them. I don't see a lot of other people running their systems or reviewing their products as much as other big brands.

I was looking on H.H.'s website and they only show to have 2100kv or 2700kv and higher. Of the two, which would you recommend?
Oops, I was mistaken. I have the puller pro 540L 2700kv in my Axial Ryft. I have only run it on 2s and feel no need at all to run a 3s or 4s. It still has pretty good low speed control for that platform. For that application I would recommend the 2700kv as the 2100kv may leave you wanting more. For a crawler though, it depends if you are going for actual crawler, trail truck, or a basher.

For this truck, mainly crawling with some trail use. As with the Capra, I'll pull it on a trailer behind the Trx4 and haul it out to the rocks. Yes. I'm a big manchild.

I'll likely use 3s packs since that's what I run in all the other crawlers.

In my straight axle Phoenix build I put the Holmes hobbies puller pro 540 2200kv and it has pretty decent wheel speed with a 3s shorty pack. The low speed control is really nice as well. Add in that selectable overdrive and it can get up some rocks pretty well. I love the fact that I can put the truck in real wheel drive and then lock it into 4wd when the trail gets rough.

This will be my first crawler with overdrive. I look forward to trying that out. If I like it, I might try it in the Capra.

Thanks for all the helpful input.

On my VS4-10 kit I went with the Fusion Pro 2300kv. and the stock pinion. I had to trim a little off the front link mount for clearance. Went with NSDRC micro RS100'S for the shift and dig and the RS800V2 for steering. Nice low speed control. I've have issues with the earlier AXE systems and my phone not working well together...so far no issue with the latest version, but still like the Fusion system better.

Is the fusion pro longer than a standard 540 can? I've heard good things about it from reviews.

I've had a few instances where the Bluetooth software was a little glitch but works well most of the time with my android phone.

Is the fusion pro longer than a standard 540 can? I've heard good things about it from reviews.

I've had a few instances where the Bluetooth software was a little glitch but works well most of the time with my android phone.
I don't think it's any longer than most 540's just a little fatter.. it's listed as 37x58mm

I finally laundered enough cash past the wife and ordered an HH puller pro 2700kv, a Mamba X, and an HH 650 servo. Went with some cheap Amazon servos for overdrive and dig. Lights, toyota grill, tires, wheels, foams, paint, and everything else should be here by next weekend. I look forward getting this kit together. Been looking at the box too long.

I'm finally getting to this. Other projects keep slowing me down. I'm assembling the axles and I have some washers, 2 with each axle, that I don't see being used in the assembly instructions. They are the same I.D. as the pinion and axle shafts. Seem like a pinion shim to me but I don't think its needed. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20231003_102932.jpg
    20231003_102932.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231003_102850.jpg
    20231003_102850.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 26