Question about weights

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mockduck

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first crawler for trail running and crawling, the SCX10 III Early Ford Bronco model, and am really liking it. Out of the box it was kind of a mess, with it being super top-heavy and the left front wheel rising at slight inclines. However, I added 9mm Limiters to the stock shocks, which brought the body down a bit, and switched to using the "shorty" side battery holder, which better distributes the weight, as opposed to the full size holder in the back (what were they thinking?)

I still feel that this thing will perform a lot better if I add a bit of weight to the front half. I realize that I can purchase brass wheel hubs and shocks and differential plates, that kind of thing, which I bet both looks cool and works great, but....it's expensive! To get it all done I'm looking at more than $200, which is fine if I wanted to upgrade my rig. Maybe someday, but for now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just flexible-glue a few 1 or 2 pound fishing weights to the lowest part of the inside of the body, there's a space for it right towards the back of of the wheel hub on the front.

My thinking is maybe it won't be as nice, but would be a $20 bit of work instead of $200. Anyone done this?

I don't think it would be a problem at all. Not as sexy as upgraded parts, but every bit as functional. Plus you have the added benefit of adjusting position or the amount of weight to suit your particular needs. :thumbs-up:

There is several different kinds you can decide on but stick these on top of the axles.

here

I would avoid adding weight to the body or chassis. Add weight to the axles if you can.
You could also add weight to the wheels if you wanted

I'm sure you have beadlock wheels so you can add them to the inside of the wheels just to hide them.

Aliexpress or ebay brass is just fine and cheap. 50 bucks will probably get you chubs and knuckles for the front end which is a good start.

Weighting the body is way too high, weighting the chassis is also not the best solution. Axles, as low as possible!

Unsprung weight. Aluminum wheels are a great option. Brass diff covers are a great option as well. Amazon china parts work well.

Stick on wheel weights work great inside beadlocks. I found some brass 1.9 wheels I am using at times. Doesn't hurt to have a few sets of wheels. One set I have weigh over 5 pounds just for the tire wheel combo. Brass wheels, lead inside and standard brass wheel weights. Those things make it stick like glue. Just finishing up building a ultra light rig though so I can compare the two. Less than 4 pounds total. Just ordered some carbon fiber wheels last night and going to get the whole rig closer to 3 pounds. Definitely put whatever weight you put on as low as possible though.

Back