Pull start won't retract

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaputoNL001

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Pull start won't retract, is it a bad pull start or bad one way bearing or both?

Sorry for the basic question, I'm a rookie.

The spring broke due to being pulled out too far!
That's the weird thing, it happened right as I pulled. Just barely started the pull and all resistance was lost.

That's the weird thing, it happened right as I pulled. Just barely started the pull and all resistance was lost.

You should never pull one out all the way ,only short pulls!

If you take it apart ,the spring will have broke at the bend were it catches in the plastic crevase of the pulley ,
you can not just bend a hook in it ,it has to be heated and bent to bend a hook in it as the metal spring is fragile!

It is repairable if you have finger strength!....:hehe:

You should never pull one out all the way ,only short pulls!

If you take it apart ,the spring will have broke at the bend were it catches in the plastic crevase of the pulley ,
you can not just bend a hook in it ,it has to be heated and bent to bend a hook in it as the metal spring is fragile!

It is repairable if you have finger strength!....:hehe:
i don’t pull it all the way out, it lost all resistance as soon as i pulled and just dangled with less then 1-1/2” of string pulled out.

i pulled the motor, took the pull start off....nothing broken inside. i can pull the string and the cord retracts when the pull start is not on the motor. i’m confused now

i don’t pull it all the way out, it lost all resistance as soon as i pulled and just dangled with less then 1-1/2” of string pulled out.

i pulled the motor, took the pull start off....nothing broken inside. i can pull the string and the cord retracts when the pull start is not on the motor. i’m confused now

Ok ,then it may just simply have too much rope on it ,pull the rope ,I it has eccess an not go back in ,then pull eccess out of handle ,
at the handle ,tie a knot to where it is at,at the handle ,then cut the rest of the pull rope off!

won’t solve it, if i pull more string it still won’t retract. it’s definately not too much rope.

i found another thread that leads me to believe it’s the one way bearing.

won’t solve it, if i pull more string it still won’t retract. it’s definately not too much rope.

i found another thread that leads me to believe it’s the one way bearing.
Then you have to put another round of rope around the pulley ,I will do a write up on this matter tomorrow
with one of my pull starters ,its hard to explain!

Then you have to put another round of rope around the pulley ,I will do a write up on this matter tomorrow
with one of my pull starters ,its hard to explain!
correct me if i’m wrong, but if i take the pull start off and spin the one way bearing one direction should engage the crank and the other direction the bearing should free spin right? Because that is not the case with my engine, if i spin my one way bearing it will engage the crank when spun in either direction. so i’m guessing that is why it won’t retract, because the engine is building compression not allowing the pull start to retract. When the bearing should freespin and allow the pull start to retract properly.

at least that is what two other threads i found in this forum to say.

Yes. Depending on the engine, there are a few that don't use a OWB but most do. If the bearing is seized on the starter shaft, it will cause the pullstart to hang.

When you take the pull start housing off, your going to need to be very careful as with it pulled out, the spring is going to be under excess tension and as soon as it's removed the the stuck OWB, it's going to retract quickly. When pulling/retracting the cord with the housing off the engine, there's usually nothing to keep the spool in place and it will pop out of the housing and the clockspring will uncoil into a snarled mess. It's fixable, but also avoidable.

Yes. Depending on the engine, there are a few that don't use a OWB but most do. If the bearing is seized on the starter shaft, it will cause the pullstart to hang.

When you take the pull start housing off, your going to need to be very careful as with it pulled out, the spring is going to be under excess tension and as soon as it's removed the the stuck OWB, it's going to retract quickly. When pulling/retracting the cord with the housing off the engine, there's usually nothing to keep the spool in place and it will pop out of the housing and the clockspring will uncoil into a snarled mess. It's fixable, but also avoidable.
thank you for the help, i now got it figured out. it was the one way bearing but i got it freed up. motor is back together all is working fine again!

Some o-way bearings are external an some are internal ,sometimes they get sticky from the fuel that sits!

This is caused from inproper maintenance of a nitro engine ,but it is ok an doesn't pose a real threat if
you clean the engine before you run it!...:cool: