Pull start slipping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumb68

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I just bought two hsp meteor Buggys for my kids, it's first time I've used one and eventually got them running,
when the engines had cooled I tried to start one again but the pullstart was slipping and I couldn't start it, I stripped the engine down and It was gripping ok but when I put it back together it was still slipping, I was thinking of buying a new one way bearing after reading about them on the net but a couple of hours later I tried it and it seems to be ok,
Any idea why it's doing this and should I just buy a new bearing, I don't want any problems on Christmas Day

Check your owb.
Take the back plate off and look at the crankshaft.
Right where the connecting rod slides on to you will see and lil pin, pull that out and see if its rounded off. If so then take the spring thats in that hole out and stretch it just a hair. Put it back in and when you put back the pin have the side that was in facing out so you will have a freash tip that sits on the back plate nicely.

Right where the connecting rod slides on to you will see and lil pin, pull that out and see if its rounded off. If so then take the spring thats in that hole out and stretch it just a hair. Put it back in and when you put back the pin have the side that was in facing out so you will have a freash tip that sits on the back plate nicely.

You're assuming that it's an OFNA style engagement, which is not common among other makes. We don't even know what kind of engine it is.

The most common system, whether an internal or external OWB, is a protrusion on the connecting rod dowel that engages a slotted shaft or collar. LRP, Picco, Novarossi, OS, AE, TRX, Losi, Dynamite......they all use this style. These won't fail intermittently; if that's where the problem is, it's crankshaft time.

a20792a13e9fd5ad1fe7ed_m.jpg

!B6emOl!!mk~$%28KGrHqN,!i0EyeBlJ9yVBM%29ciPgoNw~~_35.jpg

yhst-90871347430291_2268_114442800.jpg

However, it is nearly always a failed OWB that causes a PS to slip. It only takes a couple of those plastic roller "fingers" becoming deformed or broken to lose engagement.

Common problem with OWBs. Take it out and clean it in denatured alcohol or the 91% drug store rubbing alcohol. Clean the shaft as well. Put it back together and you should be fine. It's engine oil that's built up through time that causes it to slip.

It can't be engine oil build up, it's only been run once, but seems to be ok now just started it up, I just hope it's ok at Christmas, gonna see if I can get a new owb tomorrow anyway

Just tried again slipped a bit but got it to start after a while, are OWB easy to get hold of, do most model shops sell them

are OWB easy to get hold of, do most model shops sell them

That depends on the engine.
Those little buggys usually have an off brand engine and the owb may be difficult to find (as well as other parts).
What engine does the buggy have?

There very easy to get, not sure about lhs(local hobby shop) but I know ebay (or as rcnt calls it Fleebay!) What engine are you running? Id be glad to get you a link :)
And welcome to the site! Theres alot of good knowledge on here!

Took a little digging but here it is.
This will work as long as the motor is the stock one that came with it.
For future reference your running an sh 7cxp small block nitro.
Heres the link!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400605500078
If you need anything else id be glad to help!

---------- Post added at 6:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:21 PM ----------

Those little buggys usually have an off brand engine and the owb may be difficult to find (as well as other parts).
What engine does the buggy have?

Just found one for him, its an sh 7cxp

Ebay is best bet for parts as its got plenty.
Redcat might not be the best but I've never had issues with getting parts for them.

Off brand or not, they're pretty well all HF0608 or HF0612. The exceptions are the micro engines (HF0406) and some of the OS motors (HF0812)

The numbers stand for inside diameter and length; an HF0612 has a 6mm ID and is 12mm long.

A caveat; though the ~$1/ea OWBs you can get from china are tempting, I wouldn't suggest going that route in these smaller sizes. They've been OK for me in larger applications (like HF1216), but the quality just isn't there in the miniatures.

If you can't find your application with the housing, you can always just drive the bearing out. These bearings all have the part number stamped into the face of the housing, so you'll know which one it is at a glance (or through a magnifying glass if your vision isn't so good)

I'm gonna step in here,firstly where did you buy the buggy from?
if it was from ebay ,find the seller and contact them maybe they can be so kind as to give a new one,worst case if they sell the car they usually sell parts for them.
i had i hsp for a short period, don't think they come with a sh engine,i know it had something about cxp on the block and it was an .18

Good point chicken, but his buggy is a 1/16th scale. So I'm pretty sure an sh .18 would be an overkill

I got them from an online company in uk called Nitrotek customer services are appalling, never got a reply to an email about something missing from my order so no point emailing them,
The engine is a .07 if that helps

Yes that's the one, I went in a shop yesterday with the details you gave me but he said I need to bring my one in anyway, but looked online and found another shop near me that has them in stock, but just calls it a sh7 so will pop in there
Thanks for all the help,
will probably be asking some more general questions very soon in another thread

No problem, I'm glad I could help and finally give back some!
Hope everything goes well and hapoy holidays

Check your owb.
Take the back plate off and look at the crankshaft.
Not sure if you are still on here, but this was exactly the problem I had with my son's car. I knew what part was causing the issue but had no idea the spring was in there. When I read this I took the spring out and it was broke in two places. I stretched the spring and it is working awesome. I'm still going to order the spring and the rod. I'm sure the spring will fail again. The rod actually had no damage to it but I'm still going to get it to have it on hand. So glad I came across this thread on Google. Thanks