Pull start on nitro engines jams with glo plug

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are not all long, one of the is an OS #8 which is considered short plug.
The os is a standard long plug Short body. not threads.. They all long threads. Again the plug is NOT the problem. I suggest the Op disassemble the engine and see what really is causing the problem.
since you think the problem is the length of the plug then you use extra washers and fix the problem!

Last edited:
They are not all long, one of the is an OS #8 which is considered short plug.
its not worth arguing with him, even when wrong, still right because been in the hobby for so long or whatever. then it resorts to getting called names etc.
you posted the proof of different lengths, hopefully the OP will see it and know better.

It's worth making a statement that all those plugs shown will work in any standard nitro engine Except for a turbo plug. There is plenty of room under the head so a plug hitting the cylinder and causing the engine to not start and jam It's impossible even with out the washer.. Something else is causing the problem. The engine is well used and should be inspected inside and out to see what is really causing the problem. it's not the glow plug.

I’m having the same issue as the op. Tried all the suggestions you guys gave. Bought new pull starter, removed engine from car and installed it! Engine runs fine but when I install the plug it stuck the pull starter , if I remove it runs freely ! Engine is a vx-16 car is an old hyperspeed encore. Would appreciate any help

When you loosen the glow plug just a bit, does it help? If it help, how many turns you have to loosen it? If you only have to loosen it just a little bit to get it to work, the compression may be too strong for your starter. If you have to loosen a couple of turns, please let us know what kind of plug you have?

Your flooding the engine too much. Take the glow plug out and pull the engine over to clear it out. Check plug for orange/yellow and Put the plug back in DO not tighten. leave 1/4 turn loose. Prime the engine 3-4 pull's and block the stinger on the exhaust to force fuel to carb. attach glow driver on and then try and start 2-3 more pull it should pop off.
Thank you so much for your help, I’ll try to do that as soon as I buy a heat gun, but I was wondering if someone can explain to me the reason why the pull start wound jam after installing the glow ? It’s like after placing it the engine get “pressure” and doesn’t release the cord…..

Thank you so much for your help, I’ll try to do that as soon as I buy a heat gun, but I was wondering if someone can explain to me the reason why the pull start wound jam after installing the glow ? It’s like after placing it the engine get “pressure” and doesn’t release the cord…..
If it doesn't release the cord, it is most likely the spring is too week.

Back