Pull start on nitro engines jams with glo plug

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob127

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having problems with 1 of my nitro cars.

Ever since owning it , it has never worked. If the Glo plug is in the pull start just jams. With the Glo plug out the pull start works fine. I don't know anything about the car here.

Your flooding the engine too much. Take the glow plug out and pull the engine over to clear it out. Check plug for orange/yellow and Put the plug back in DO not tighten. leave 1/4 turn loose. Prime the engine 3-4 pull's and block the stinger on the exhaust to force fuel to carb. attach glow driver on and then try and start 2-3 more pull it should pop off.

Your flooding the engine too much. Take the glow plug out and pull the engine over to clear it out. Check plug for orange/yellow and Put the plug back in DO not tighten. leave 1/4 turn loose. Prime the engine 3-4 pull's and block the stinger on the exhaust to force fuel to carb. attach glow driver on and then try and start 2-3 more pull it should pop off.
Thank you for the reply. I have just tried that and still no joy. I have tried the plug 1/4 turn in , 1/2 turn in .
It seems has so has the plug is in it jams ☹️

Did you unflood the engine? Remove the plug and turn engine upside down and pull the starter. the fuel will come out. Pull 10 times.. Turn glow plug into tight then back off 1/4-1/2 turn.

I just tried that. I turn car upside down, took plug out, pulled starter 10+ times.
Checked plug glows ?
Put plug back in until tight then 1/2 turn back .
The engine still jams ?.

You keep saying "jam" - what do you mean by that? Can you pull the pull starter at all? Does the piston fully move up and down?

Take clear pictures of the engine and the glo plug. It will make it easier to help if we know what you have.

If the glow plug is out the piston moves freely when pulled .
The moment the plug is back in , even just at 1/4 turn it's jams (the pull start won't pull only about 5cm) and won't return .
Once I figure out how to upload pics I will . Thank you for the reply

Here is pics of engine . Will get some more pics tomorrow.
Thank you for the help and advise

PXL_20210109_192638398.jpg
Snapchat-320286499.jpg
Snapchat-437164988.jpg

The engine is still getting too much fuel when starting. I can see the high is turned in to far The carb should only be open 1.5 mm max from closed when starting. Not all the way.

I have just adjusted the high
I have tried starting it .
I am getting the odd popping sound and the smell that it's firing up .
The pull start don't retract back unless the glow plug is out ☹️

Almost there. Try loosening the screws that hold the pull starter on. You may have to remove the pull starter and clean it out and pull all the way till it stops a few times.t. Use wd-40 and pray it clean and put it back on. Turn the idle screw 1/2 turn in. Now try and pull starter with glow plug back in. before putting engine back in. It should pull and retract back in with the glow plug in. IF not then I suggest a new pull starter or a sullivan tiger drive system.
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/prodreview-TIGERDRIVE.html

Last edited:
I will try that tomorrow once I finish work ?.
Thank you for all the help and advice ?.
Will keep you posted

Almost there. Try loosening the screws that hold the pull starter on. You may have to remove the pull starter and clean it out and pull all the way till it stops a few times.t. Use wd-40 and pray it clean and put it back on. Turn the idle screw 1/2 turn in. Now try and pull starter with glow plug back in. before putting engine back in. It should pull and retract back in with the glow plug in. IF not then I suggest a new pull starter or a sullivan tiger drive system.
http://www.beatyourtruck.com/prodreview-TIGERDRIVE.html
I agreed with this. Sometimes the screws got too tight at the pull starter or the spring is too week and need to rewound it back a couple of turns to give it more tension. I have rewound many pull starters ? not my fault, I didn't break them, I only fix them.

Not quite sure about that engine ,but if it is a 3 needle carb an that brass needle is the Mix meter setting ,
then it is way too far out causing more fuel ,if it is ,that setting should be flush ,also .if the engine seen
massive flooding an the starter has a O-way bearing ,then it probably needs to be cleaned!...:cool:

I would actually pull out the fuel line to make sure no flooding can happen, put a napkin over the glow plug hole and run the pull start until no more fuel come out. Then make sure the pull start works with the glow plug in, please see other earlier suggestions about the pull start. I think the engine is probably one of the Vertex .15 or .18 engine.

The OP has tried all my suggestions. I gave them already. Has anybody looked at the pictures? It's not a vertex .15 or .18.

Back