Pros and Cons with plugging a charger into a wall vs a power supply (AC/DC)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
What is the Pros and cons with plugging a charger into the wall vs using a power supply? I saw mine (SkyRC T200), HiTec X2, and the Hota D6 Pro does AC/DC. I directly plug my charger into the wall. My uncle uses a power supply for his Progressive RC Icharger.

DC chargers can deliver more power. Chances are, if you are just charging single packs, you aren't going to notice a difference with DC power. The extra power you get by charging with an DC psu is only going to be needed if you are parallel charging multiple packs, or want to charge bigger packs (really high mAh) at a 2c or higher charge rate.

Last edited:
I got 2 2s lipos that are 7200ma or 7900 ma (can't remember) My uncle told me to charge at 10amps so thats what I do. The chargers internal temperature reads at least 140 F. (The cut off setting is set at 122 F) so I don't know if I should charge at a slower rate or idk. The fan on the charger is ok. The fan is way bigger and blows alot more air compared to my old traxxas ez peak and onyx chargers. Also I do balance charge. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I do a fast charge. (These are the 2 SMC packs I have. My other 2s batterys like the hoovos and youme power one do not do this)

Here is mine (skyrc t200)

Screenshot 2022-12-07 1.46.13 PM.png

Ok so problem solved. 10amps is 240 volts. I am charging at the maximum the charger can do. Going to try to charge at a slower rate like maybe 8 amps or 7.2-7.9 amps. I usually charge my hoovos and others at 8 amps. ( 2 are 5200mah the other is 6200mah)

Also I do charge those 2 2s packs at 10 amps on both sides at the same time. One side reads about 120 F when charging at 10 amps and balance charge. The other side is reading 140/145 F charging on 10 amps and balance charging. So what I am going to do is charge at a slower charge rate (8 amps should be fine) and ill see how the temps are.

Here is the Hitec X2 plus

Screenshot 2022-12-07 1.51.52 PM.png

Last edited:
so that charger has a external temp guage?..
i looked it says charger is 12 amps not 10.. both those temps if they are the battery re of no worry its when you get to 165 degrees then you worry.put a fan on hot side
so temp sensor goes in port A or B? then you lay it or strap it on battery?

My bad. I put AC everywhere I meant to put DC lol. Derr! I fixed it. Sorry, I had just woke from a nap and my brain hadn't activated yet.

so that charger has a external temp guage?..
i looked it says charger is 12 amps not 10.. both those temps if they are the battery re of no worry its when you get to 165 degrees then you worry.put a fan on hot side
so temp sensor goes in port A or B? then you lay it or strap it on battery?
No I'm talking about the internal charger temps. And yes it is a 12 amp charger but I charge those batteries at 10 amps.
The charger has internal temp and external temp but I don't have those external temp sensors.

No I'm talking about the internal charger temps. And yes it is a 12 amp charger but I charge those batteries at 10 amps.
The charger has internal temp and external temp but I don't have those external temp sensors.
Those internal charger temps are fine. I'm not sure what you're talking about 10A is 240V but that is wrong.

Those internal charger temps are fine. I'm not sure what you're talking about 10A is 240V but that is wrong.
I'm confused my self too. I'm not good converting watts volts amps etc. I don't know how I got a B in algebra right now 🤷‍♂️

I just wanted to know if that internal temperature was ok and if plugging into the wall or using a power supply is better.

Very long day at school.

I just wanted to know if that internal temperature was ok and if plugging into the wall or using a power supply is better.

Very long day at school.
DC power supply is generally better. Chargers typically are more powerful on DC power as the others stated. If you can run it at 18V instead of 12V its even better. It should help it run a little cooler cuz it wont be pulling as many Amps from the DC PSU as it will on 12V. Honestly anything under 160F for electronics is generally fine but the cooler the better.

This thread is confusing because of the terminology and no one explaining anything.

An AC charger can be plugged into an AC wall outlet to charge a battery. A circuit inside converts the AC to DC and regulates it to what you set to charge your batteries

Some charges can be supplied with DC and therefor dont have to convert it themselves. It can come from a car battery or a power supply. Power supplies also plug into AC but can convert a lot more AC to DC and supply more amps than the small circuit in your charger. This usually allows chargers to have a higher charging capacity than plugged into AC themselves.

Volts x Amps = Watts Piece of cake.

Back