Project: ☠️ Dead Twins ☠️

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I took a 40 minute ride to Hobby Etc in Manchester, NH. It's a large warehouse with an inventory of 99% rc cars and parts. Wanted to RC4WD Mud Slingers for RigorMortis. The MS mounted perfectly and easily onto the Injora aluminum wheels.
I am very excited to see how much further these tires will elevate RigorMortis' already excellent crawling performance.Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get an outdoors test run today, due to my daughter's cheer competition.
0212222159a.jpg
0212222159c.jpg

Today, I took a 40 minute ride to Hobby Etc in Manchester, NH. It's a large warehouse with an inventory of 99% rc cars and parts. Wanted to RC4WD Mud Slingers for RigorMortis. The MS mounted perfectly and easily onto the Injora aluminum wheels.
I am very excited to see how much further these tires will elevate RigorMortis' already excellent crawling performance.Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get an outdoors test run today, due to my daughter's cheer competition. View attachment 141874View attachment 141873
Yesterday's mudsliger conversation made you spend money did it? LMAO. Looks sweet. I need a name for my rig, I'll think on it.

Yesterday's mudsliger conversation made you spend money did it? LMAO. Looks sweet. I need a name for my rig, I'll think on it.
Nah, the RC4WD was always in the original plan for RigorMortis, but I wanted to try the tires that came with the Injora wheels. Those Injora tires are actually decent, but they just don't have anywhere near the softness and grippage of the RC4WD MS.
Yes, your's need a name. All the cool kids are doing this! 😉

I just mounted a set of slingers on some Injora wheels today too.:thumbs-up: mine were tricky, this was the hardest install I've had with beadlocks. I finally figured out it was the foams that were causing the issue, I had to trim off some of the inside edge to get the tires to seat right on the beadlocks. Once I figured that out it went smooth. I've never had an issue before.

I just mounted a set of slingers on some Injora wheels today too.:thumbs-up: mine were tricky, this was the hardest install I've had with beadlocks. I finally figured out it was the foams that were causing the issue, I had to trim off some of the inside edge to get the tires to seat right on the beadlocks. Once I figured that out it went smooth. I've never had an issue before.
real rigs run 10-15lbs, on a tire, I see no point to run any foams. Reckon I need to get more incorporated but if your crawling, you want almost 0 air pressure without it coming off of the rim. M2C.
I almost want to drill some holes in my sidewalls I don't think any air pressure is necessary.
Matter of fact, if your tires are 5/10psi they will probably crawl better. But, I'm taking this from real life to 1/24, but I think it carries over. No need for any psi, or foams whatsoever. Unless your rig is heavy, then you should maybe start adding foam maybe.
I'm not much of a wrencher, but will, when I have to. Mostly because I'm short attention spanned and lazy (like @Doom! ). However, I'm recently come to be kinda obsessed with these small Axial SCX24s.
Why? 1) They are very well engineered for the purpose of crawling 2) super crawlers, which translate into super fun 3) because of their minute size, crawling courses/opportunities are a plenty!

I've already begun the modding, but figured I would do a build thread. Just for the fun of chronicalling purposes....and also just for sh*ts and giggles!

So, Project: Dead Twins.......

I've had my red Deadbolt for around a year now, and I've fairly recently acquired the green one as well. I well be building these 2 up to be highly modded comp crawlers. Although, they will be slightly different in build, and not exactly identical.

The red Deadbolt I have now dubbed: Redrum. Some of you old farts may recognize this famous tag.
The green one: Goblin. Just because I like the word goblin.

Redrum is now sporting: RC4WD pressed steel wheels, RC4WD Mud Slingers, brass steering knuckles, brass extension hexes, and front and rear brass diff covers.

Goblin: RC4WD pressed steel wheels, RC4WD Scramblers, front and rear extended axle shafts, brass extension hexes, front brass diff cover, and just yesterday an Emax servo with an Injora aluminum servo tray.

Both rigs have all the shock springs removed and the shocks invertly mounted. With the extensions, Redrum sits 130mm in width, and Goblin at a massive 140mm. A stock SCX24 is about 100mm. Redrum may have the Emax servo mounted today.

That is it for now, but I just place an order for more upgrades, this morning, on Alieexpress, so it'll be coming on the slow boat from China. Probably don't get here until the end of the month. At over 50% on savings, it'll be worth the wait. Plus, I'm in no hurry.
View attachment 139973View attachment 139972View attachment 139969View attachment 139968View attachment 139970View attachment 139971View attachment 139967View attachment 139975View attachment 139974
That's sick bro. Love it

Last edited:
The rc4wd tires are super soft, I don't think I could have mounted them without foams. The compound is so sticky that when I took the foams out to trim them the tires were sticking together on the inside.

The rc4wd tires are super soft, I don't think I could have mounted them without foams. The compound is so sticky that when I took the foams out to trim them the tires were sticking together on the inside.

If your running bead locks it doesn't matter if they are completely flat that was the point to begin with. If it helps grip a rock, that's all that matters. Air pressure in a tire is only working against grip.
Noone has run portrd tires on beadlocks on the scx24?

Last edited:
@Doom! @Iowa_dude
From my experience, with these SCX24s, you are both correct. The crawling aren't as extreme in 1:1 as they are with rc. Especially, when it comes to sidehilling.
RC4WD rubber compound is super soft, and they also purposely keep their sidewall super thin. So, on super tall tires like mud slingers and scramblers you may need the foam inserts, depending on the severity of your terrain.
I started my first 4 SXC24 rigs with no foams, but I got better results with the foams with the mud slingers and scramblers.
For the scramblers, on Goblin, I put the foams back on all 4 tires. On Redrum, I only needed to put it on the front tires. For RigorMortis, I've decided to try foamless first. It is a very different rig than the stock SCX24s. I'll have to see how that works out.
I may even experiment with trimming and reducing the outer diameter of the foam. So, you would get that increase in surface area of the tire for grip, but not go totally flat, to maintain stability with sidehilling.

I didn't think about sidehilling, guess it would depend on how heavy the rig is as to how much roll the tires have.

I didn't think about sidehilling, guess it would depend on how heavy the rig is as to how much roll the tires have.
Also, when you try to get over those high, vertical ledges, flattened front tires will cause your chassis to bottom out too early.

I am very excited to see how much further these tires will elevate RigorMortis' already excellent crawling performance.Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get an outdoors test run today, due to my daughter's cheer competition. View attachment 141874View attachment 141873
Cool! They look like they will sling some mud! 🤣🤣 Going to a cheerleader competition couldn't be that bad! 😶

Going to a cheerleader competition couldn't be that bad! 😶
I'm there as a father supporting his daughter, not for the "scenery". I'm sure there are plenty of secretly, creepy dudes that are.
I would have rather been home messing with my rc, but I was proud of my daughter and her team's performance. Plus, we found a great place for some great eats!

Doh!

I just realized I posted RigorMortis in the wrong thread.

I'm there as a father supporting his daughter, not for the "scenery". I'm sure there are plenty of secretly, creepy dudes that are.
I would have rather been home messing with my rc, but I was proud of my daughter and her team's performance. Plus, we found a great place for some great eats!
Yes, yes, no offense! I totally understand, I was just trying to make a little joke there...I need to work on my humor 🤣🤣
Yeah, show your support! I'm sure they did awesome! Good food is always good...

Back