Pretty Soon We Will 3D Print Everything

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
This isn't really a new thing, but something that just showed up in my feed that most people don't realize is already a thing.

They can actually 3d print entire apartment buildings with water and electical completed.

3d building ok. Water and electric I'm good. 😂

I guess its true. Pretty soon everybody will have the same pay while robots work.

I guess its true. Pretty soon everybody will have the same pay while robots work.
Yeah, not sure how good 3d printed electrical and water components would be right now, but they can do it. But in this vid you can see they are installing standard electrical equipment wherever the machine isn't.

There will still be jobs even with the use of robots. At least in the near future anyway. Someone has to do the design work, program the machines, and setup and run them. Also, someone has to feed material to it at some point in the process. But yeah, automation is taking lots of jobs from places a lot of people don't even expect.

This isn't really a new thing, but something that just showed up in my feed that most people don't realize is already a thing.

They can actually 3d print entire apartment buildings with water and electical completed.

Oh man they are doing that in Arizona

They leave a void where the mechanicals will go.. they print the house then the trades come in and wire it and plumb it up

They leave a void where the mechanicals will go.. they print the house then the trades come in and wire it and plumb it up
Yeah, they add all that stuff as it is printing. When it gets to a layer that the print is at the top of the electrical boxes, they slide them in place. Same with windows and doors. Then the printer runs the next layer right over top of them. Electrical lines are probably fed through conduit that they lay in place when the printer reaches that layer.

I have done the same thing embedding nuts in printed parts. Once the printer gets above the thickness of the nut, drop them in. Then the printer prints over them leaving just a hole for the screw.

Yeah, they add all that stuff as it is printing. When it gets to a layer that the print is at the top of the electrical boxes, they slide them in place. Same with windows and doors. Then the printer runs the next layer right over top of them. Electrical lines are probably fed through conduit that they lay in place when the printer reaches that layer.

I have done the same thing embedding nuts in printed parts. Once the printer gets above the thickness of the nut, drop them in. Then the printer prints over them leaving just a hole for the screw.
Yup that's it. It's crazy.. how it's done. The show This old house did a episode on it.. and the R rating is nuts as well. Then they spray foam the walls in some styles. And it's so efficient..

You make it sound like a bad thing to 3d print everything....

You make it sound like a bad thing to 3d print everything....
No, just the opposite. I have been into 3d printing since it began, and about 4 years ago I actually wrote an article on 3d printing and how it was going to change the world. Years ago, I saw some of the first Laser machines. It was like an aquarium full of clear resin and lasers were firing through it building the part. I had a laser printer for awhile, but had to sell it to pay rent when I was fighting to get on disability.

It's just not going to happen, soon it will be illegal, people need the electricity to run their cars! 🤣

One question I have is..... no rebar is needed? The QC on the cement/material they are using needs to be spot on.
It sure is a speedy way to build though.

CGS and a few others have turned to 3D printing for their rifle suppressors. There are companies that 3D print prosthetics so that they are more affordable, etc. It's a wild time to be alive.

CGS and a few others have turned to 3D printing for their rifle suppressors. There are companies that 3D print prosthetics so that they are more affordable, etc. It's a wild time to be alive.
There are a lot of home hobbyists that have 3d printed prosthetics for people.

I find uses for mine all the time. This guitar below (Spidocaster on Thingiverse) was one of my first designs. I designed the pick guard to show people that were telling others that they needed a really high priced 3d printer to do multi-color printing they were wrong. I wrote custom scripts in the slicer to output the G-code so the printer stopped and told you when to change the filament color. So it was push button go through the whole print. This was all printed on a printer costing less than $300. The body was designed to be printed in 7 pieces, all interlocking together, so people with small printers could make it.
received_2572005789788821.jpeg

received_612124676021325.jpeg

received_2731773190212050.jpeg

received_2687344731361729.jpeg

received_590087688510551.jpeg

One question I have is..... no rebar is needed? The QC on the cement/material they are using needs to be spot on.
Look at 1:52 in the video. The webbing is the rebar. Unlike solid concrete structures, which would require rebar, with 3d printers you can print thin sructures with that webbing to stabilize everything.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I first saw this a while ago. I've been in construction 20+ yrs. There's always rear in concrete poured walls or floors. They still use it in 3D prints.. they use a couple different types. Buy here are two articles. Which are pretty interesting reads...👍👍

https://www.3dnatives.com/en/how-does-a-concrete-3d-printer-work-080120215/

https://www.fabbaloo.com/2019/07/how-to-intelligently-reinforce-concrete-3d-prints

Is there a scanner that we could use to effectively scan parts for our RCs and print carbon fiber parts ourselves?

Is there a scanner that we could use to effectively scan parts for our RCs and print carbon fiber parts ourselves?
There are scanners, but you still have to open the model that they produce in cad and fix them to be printable. Scanners are more for scanning organic forms like trees, sculptures, etc. For structural parts, it's far easier to just model it up in CAD. And you can print carbon fiber infused filament, but it's not the same as actual carbon fiber.

Last edited:
There are scanners, but you still have open the model that they produce in cad and fix them to be printable. Scanners are more for scanning organic forms like trees, sculptures, etc. For structural parts, it's far easier to just model it up in CAD. And you can print carbon fiber infused filament, but it's not the same as actual carbon fiber.
My iPhone 12 Pro can 3d scan objects with LiDAR. It’s early stuff, but it works pretty good.

My iPhone 12 Pro can 3d scan objects with LiDAR. It’s early stuff, but it works pretty good.
I'm seeing that a lot of the option parts for the Ultima are either unavailable or ridiculously priced and listed as "last one". Just trying to figure out a plan!

Back