Preheating nitro engine with heat gun

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlydeeRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to order an engine warmer with my new nitro car. I am wanting to pre warm the engine before starting it. Would a heat gun be ok to use? I've seen people suggest using a hairdryer for this but I don't have access to one!

use the lower setting of the heat gun if you use one, i have a cheapo one from harbor freight, the high heat setting is very hot, wave it around in a swirling motion and dont get to close to the engine with it, you dont want to get hot spots.
hope that helps!

use the lower setting of the heat gun if you use one, i have a cheapo one from harbor freight, the high heat setting is very hot, wave it around in a swirling motion and dont get to close to the engine with it, you dont want to get hot spots.
hope that helps!
Cool, I've got somewhere local to me that sells them so I'll grab one tomorrow!

Keep it on a low setting and on the cooling head, it will saturate the engine with heat.

I usually would just put it on the floor of my 1:1 car while I drove to the bash site with the heat on high. With that, the engine would get up around 90F+ and be easy enough to break in. If you can get it up to 150F-200F or so, that would be perfect. I looked for a 12V hair dryer/heat gun, but couldn't find one. Or a cordless... never found one of those either. Haven't looked in years, pre-lithium years. There's probably 10 of them on amazon now that would work for as little as I'd use it.

I ended up buying a cheap wired one on ebay just for forming delrin and taping bodies. Like 6 months ago... lol!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've found a cheap corded one from screwfix so I'll go and pick one up soon!