?Possible clutch issue?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phins Fan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
MGT 4.6

It seems to run awesome as I have plenty of smoke and low running temps (I prefer a rich running motor for longevity) My issue is when I stop bashing it and let off the throttle after warmups, it will easily stall and not want to restart right away (Thats usually a sign of a lean overheated motor but again it like it rich). She will also want to roll off during startup. Any thoughts?? :(

Could have a broken clutch spring or dried/fried cb bearing that is dragging. I'd take the engine out and inspect things to see.

Always a good idea to have a spare clutch/spring set laying around, but you should really take it apart to see what the real issue is or you will still be stuck if it isn't directly related to the shoes/springs themselves.

Always a good idea to have a spare clutch/spring set laying around, but you should really take it apart to see what the real issue is or you will still be stuck if it isn't directly related to the shoes/springs themselves.

Are you allowed to swear on here?

What the french toast!!!!!!!!

Took it apart to find I had 1 of the press fitted posts from the flywheel come loose and kept binding up the clutch and bell together. And of course wouldnt you know the hobby shop doesn't have it in stock and wont get it till next Thursday!! WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!

This is my first Associated and I'm not all warm and fuzzy with it yet. Turns out I sheared the same pin on the 2 speed for the fourth time in 2 weeks as well. Its not the cost of the minor parts that bother me as much as the constant disassembly fix and reassemble!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: Could they possibly be related??

Last edited:
MMmmmmmmmmmmm... french toast...

Sorry, train of thought derailed.

I've had the pins fall out of the flywheel on me before. It stinks. Get a new flywheel and hope it doesn't do the same. I've only had it happen a couple times in 10+ years on 20+ vehicles.

Had the itch last night so I grabbed the red threadlock and stuck the pin back in the flywheel. Got the new clutch installed and pins for the tranny and everything seems good (for now :( Hopefully it holds up till the new flywheel comes in!

My MGT 8.0 is a great truck and I thought for the longest time my truck was defective because it would not shift. After two tranny pulls which take sometime to do I finally have it dialed in. I think associated makes great vehicles but at the sametime I think every new vehicle we purchase kinda has a growing pains or learning curve that comes with owning it. Glad to hear you're back up and running and have you looked online for parts when in a pinch? Usually towerhobbies and rc planet carry a lot of ae parts.

The local hobby shop is only 15min away which isnt bad considering I live in the sticks and now that he knows I have a new truck he has already planned on preordering alot of parts as he knows like to beat the hell out of my toys. had a Tmaxx a few years ago and LOVED it (The original.15 version) and After reading alot on here I figured the 4.6 was a safe bet. I'm not dissatisified with the truck as it is a blast to drive I'm just not back into the routine of having to replace something everytime I drive it yet. Just got back from 4 tanks of beating and it ran like a top the whole time. Todxay I'm satisfied, tomorrow......... well see!!! :)

Well its tomorrow and the flywheel pin came loose again :(. Fried the new clutch!! I guess thats what I get for not waiting for the new part and trying to afro engineer some more playing time out of it :(.

Back