Please help with battery / charger question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1cowabunga

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking for some opinions or options that I might consider for a new charger and possibly battery. I got a used but very cool Mario Kart RC car for my birthday a few years back. Since it did not have a controller or battery charger, it has been sitting in my room collecting dust. Until recently I have been trying to track down the necessary parts to get it rolling! I bought the controller from ebay but now I'm at a loss for finding the charger. The car is made by "Carrera", model # 162060, and came with a battery, 7.4V 700 mAh li-ion, that looks to have a non-standard connector. Please see my attached photos. I found a charger on ebay but they want around $30 (with shipping) for it. Seems a little steep for a simple power cord. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrera-RC...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 Or if there is an alternative way of doing this - I do own a soldering iron. If anyone has any thoughts on what I should, I would be extremely greatful. Thanks!
IMG_20200613_165712132.jpg
IMG_20200613_165903504.jpg
IMG_20200613_165918845.jpg
IMG_20200613_170009128.jpg

I definitely would not buy that type of charger. If you have a 12v power supply, then I would get one of those Imax B6 chargers on eBay for $25. I have one that has a different name on it, but identical in every way including the box/graphics. I have had no issues with it. There is also an AC/DC HiTec unit I saw on eBay for $45. Having multiple battery type capacity has been very useful.

As for the plug, I would make some sort of adapter to charge it or switch both ends to something more common.

You might get lucky and find the Original charger but as also said Id get a different charger.I happen to like the toolkit m6 charger has many options on it but you will need a 12 volt power supply to run it like a converted ATX computer power supply..it will take some work from you to get this cart up and running.. Id get a 6 pack or xt 60 battery plugs they are easy to install if you have a solder iron ,shrink tube and some skill....the m6 is not a plug and play you will need a squid with a xt60 male end and also a xt60 male end to hook to power supply.. as said b4 you want to change that black battery ply to something more general in our hobby a xt 60 plug..<you will need to cutoff black connector and make sure you keep same orientation as the xt 60 charge plug...dont cut both wires off battery keep a wire connected so you dont short circuit the battery. this will take some work from you to get this up and running good luck.just so you know thats the nominal voltage of that battery it is actually a 8.4 volt fully charged.. each cell is 4.2 volts dc so its 4.2 + 4.2=8.4 .. just some fyi you might want to get a ac/dc charger that way you dont need a 12v power supply all you do is plug it into the wall outlet( also that Mario cart rc is a highly sauté after rc brings in good cash for right buyer

look at the toolkit m6 charger on amazon
look at the xt60 battery plug

Last edited:
you can also charge that battery without going to another connection. you can use a squid cable with 2 alligator clips or 2mm bullets connectors and a 2 cell 500mah li-ion charger