Pinion gear issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMB

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I’m new to electric RC. I have a annoying little issue. The grub screw holding the pinion gear keeps coming loose no matter how tight I do it up. I’ve tried permabond thread lock to no avail.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Car is 1/8 scale truggy.
Cheers

get a new pinion sometimes they either get cross threaded or threads just fail, or drill n tap a new hole..

just to be sure; does the grub screw is fit on the flat side motor shaft?

Yes the screw fits on the flat side of the shaft and did you wait 24 hours after installing it with Locitite?

Yes definitely on flat side. It was a week before I used it again after refitting with loctite.
came off after 10-15 minutes hard running.
And it was a brand new pinion and grub screw.

you dint use loctite you used permabond.. use red loc tite try again

Also, a good wrench makes a big difference with pinions. Cheap L allen's strip the hex or themsevles before they get "tight".

you dint use loctite you used permabond.. use red loc tite try again
Lol. Must of been because Loctite was in my head because Tunedpipe wrote it ?
Also, a good wrench makes a big difference with pinions. Cheap L allen's strip the hex or themsevles before they get "tight".
all my tools are Snap On from my mechanic days ?

Still, for allens, probably better off going with MIP or something of that sort. I'm not sure how good snap-on's L keys/T allens are.

I've had my set of losi hand allen wrenches for almost 20 years. I've touched up the tip a few times on my 2.5mm and 2mm with a dremel, I do the same to my MIP's once in a great while. I broke my losi 1.5mm by trying to pry something many years ago. Otherwise it's what I use for smaller pinions and the losi 2mm is what I use for the larger ones typically.

Hi everyone.
I’m new to electric RC. I have a annoying little issue. The grub screw holding the pinion gear keeps coming loose no matter how tight I do it up. I’ve tried permabond thread lock to no avail.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Car is 1/8 scale truggy.
Cheers
I had the same problem. Something I learned is that pinions that have bigger grub screws don't come off as easily. That's all I know from MONTHS of trial and error, though.

Interesting about MIP tools. I’d never heard of them until now.
I thought about looking into small cap heads instead of grub screw. But I’m guessing it could cause balance issues.

MIP is a well known strong hex driver... I've had my share of different allen hex drivers..craftsman. Hurdy.MIP. (home made still the best)old fat handle screw drivers that had slotted end ground down and Allen key brazed on..

Back