Piecing It Together. What would you do.??.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good post AC. l did the soldering re-do last night. Came out better but not perfect. At least l know now that the joints are joined well. l tugged on them. When l did the dis-connect there were 2 or 3 joints that just sort of fell apart on their own. Darn it man. So l'm happy l made the choice to fix things up. Would lose joints have a negative effect on power.?? The RC is not fast. l'm dis-appointed with the speed.

Good post AC. l did the soldering re-do last night. Came out better but not perfect. At least l know now that the joints are joined well. l tugged on them. When l did the dis-connect there were 2 or 3 joints that just sort of fell apart on their own. Darn it man. So l'm happy l made the choice to fix things up. Would lose joints have a negative effect on power.?? The RC is not fast. l'm dis-appointed with the speed.
Thanks. And excellent recovery on your part. A loose solder joint is generally high resistance and impedes current flow. At the very least a loose connection will not flow the current a bright, clean tight connection will. Loose joint means an air gap. Air is an insulator, ergo, reduced current flow. And if downstream from the battery could be a short circuit hazard. Sounds like you put paid to it, though.

I'm sure once you begin playing with gearing, ESC and radio settings, speed will improve. Cheers. 'AC'

Sounds good AC. Thanks for your replies. You give me something to look forward to. l began with a 19t pinion. l've got a 21t to try next.
This past week l took the stock car body off the Rustler and went back to the 1966 Ford F-150. People love this truck.!!
20210822_144721 (2).jpg
20210823_190904 (2).jpg
20210820_183925.jpg
20210824_141318.jpg

Time to update this thread on the Teno truggy 1/10th scale...Things are looking up. l went from a 19t pinion gear to a 21t. Helped the speed but l have another 2 pinion gears coming. A 22t and a 23t. The ESC and motor are running lukewarm at the most. l really think the 22t will get me to where l want to be. Meaning it will be a thrill to drive.

Just a note on the soldering issue l had..... l had mentioned l had like 3 joints that were very weak. To the point l just pulled them apart with ease. l was chicken with the temperature of the iron. l boosted it up to 700 degrees and things went together fast. Almost to the point of joy. Now the joints have a nice flashy silver color to them.

The RC runs extremely smooth and handles really good. l like the Sanwa radio. The input speed and reaction time feels just about perfect. The RC grips the asphalt really well which is a compliment to the Anaconda tires. l can run fast into the corners. The one thing l think it might need is a boost to the punch rate. l think l need to increase the punch by 1. lts really smooth getting up to speed but l'd like to see it just a bit faster out of the gate. All in all
20220105_184557.jpg
20220215_141433.jpg
20220215_140130.jpg
its coming together nicely. AHR.... You were right. You said l would be pleased once l made a few adjustments. l'm almost there.!!

l put a 23t pinion gear in the truggy and once again l can see the increase in speed but its still not exciting to me. There's no room for a larger pinion gear. To get more speed from the Spur Gear would l increase or decrease the tooth size.??

l honestly don't think that l have the power to jump a double in a race. (l'm not a racer) The power and speed is just..... Lacking.!! l receive the programming box tomorrow which will allow me to increase the punch and other 'metrics.' l'm considering buying a 6.5turn motor.

Motor and ESC are running waaay cool which ls great. ..... Larger or smaller tooth count on the Spur gear to increase speed.?? Hoping smaller. !!

Smaller it is. Smaller tooth count spur gear yields more speed.

Rule-of-thumb for 48P gears: a three-tooth change on the spur = about 1/2 tooth change on the pinion. Not a significant change, but what it does is allow for a larger tooth count pinion. Hope this helps. 'AC'

Thanx AC..... So l'm running a 53t Spur right now with a 23t pinion. 32pitch. What would you suggest for a smaller Spur gear.?? l have a 19t. 21t. 22t and a 23t Pinion. l'd like to run the 19t or the 21t. Those 2 pinions are made by Robinson.

l admit that this is a little over my head so l'm all ears to your good advice. l'll have to ask Amain what will fit or work on the Tekno.

l read your post again and l get it. Does having 32p gears change that equation.?? Thanks for your help.

Ron, I shall have to defer to one of the other guys on this forum. I am not familiar with the Tekno platform and do not want to mis-inform you.

That said, 53/23 you are running yields a 2:30 gear ration-which is "high" in what I am used to working with. That tells me the diff ratio(s) is somewhat different than what I am familiar with.

Visiting the Tekno website for the ET410 32P/53T spur is all that shows on the parts list. No additional spur on the Tekno option list for that model either. Spur looks specific to that model, so finding one on the aftermarket may be a challenge. Looked at spurs on Amain and did not see a match.

Yeah, I'm out of my area of knowledge on this one, buddy. 'AC'

Last edited:
Good news to report..... l got the Hobbywing programmng box in the mail today. l plugged it in to the ESC and went down through the list. There were 2 or 3 options that l didn't understand but its a great unit in terms of easy to use. Very intuitive. l got to the Punch setting and l bumped it up to 7 from 5. l drove the Truggy this morning first thing and the excitement level was at about a 5 out of 10. The mail arrived a few hours later and the program box was there. My point being l had a run earlier in the day to compare to the run after using the programmer. What a difference.!! l first ran it in the dooryard just to be sure something wasn't all messed up. Nothing was messed up and l could tell the speed and response was up. So l took it out to my favorite parking lot and let it rip. And it was great. l was actually skidding in a few of the turns and if l hit it hard on take off the RC was actually swerving as it searched for traction. Damn. l'm going to use some big words here coming from a rookie...... The Shake Down ls Complete.!! Ha.!! Ya. l'm a happy camper right now.

l think it was the punch setting that put it over the finish line. l will say this.... l think the battery was bleeding off speed when it hit about the 7 minute mark. Thats the Spektrum 2c 6300mAh with 100c. My next battery will be a Protek or gensacearespammers. Things are looking up.!! lt means no new motor. No more settling on a pinion gear and no more considering a smaller spur gear. My troubles are behind me. Cool. Thanks for the help. Cheers from the peanut gallery.!!

Back