Picked up an E-Maxx roller.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucifur10

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Boating
Picked up a used E-Maxx roller. Servos are still in it but seem frozen. Ordered a couple Titan motors for it. It appears to have been at the beach but not really beat on. Sand around the rear diff housing. Bumpers are scratched but the skid plates are like new. Driveline feels nice and smooth. Cleaning and making a list of parts as I go.
16907336905229119225329392082526.jpg

That is the truck that got me started in this hobby. They are fun to work on. Not the most durable though. Good thing you are putting brushed motors in it.

Picked up a used E-Maxx roller. Servos are still in it but seem frozen. Ordered a couple Titan motors for it. It appears to have been at the beach but not really beat on. Sand around the rear diff housing. Bumpers are scratched but the skid plates are like new. Driveline feels nice and smooth. Cleaning and making a list of parts as I go.View attachment 169499
Whats up... Nice score the E-maxx is a good truck. They can take a beating. A suggestion for you. Go over the whole truck. I personally would tare down the whole truck screw for screw.. Since you said it's been ran in sand.
I definitely would want to pull all the bearings and clean and re-oil them. Check the diffs oil. Grease up the trans gears. Change the shock oil. Got any questions don't hesitate to ask.. happy bashing bud...

I have a first gen T-Maxx so I'm pretty familiar with these. Yep the sand seems to be in every nook and cranny. I plan on an intense cleaning.

Congrats. It looks great with the tmaxx 3.3 wheels you got on there. It shares alot of tmaxx 2.5 parts as you know. The chassis and tranny parts you may want to find. Those are the hard parts.

Emaxx 3906 is the model.

The 3905 was the last version. Traxxas put 2 1/10 550 vxl combos in and called it a vtwin. I always wanted one.

I found my Emaxx 3906 in a connex in Afghanistan. It had a hydraulic dump bed and a camera mast on it. It was meant to drive up to an IED and drop a block of C-4 on it or just explode. I really regret parting with it. I gave it to an RC shop and they set up the other one I had with a new remote/body and some stuff. Looking back, they really ripped me off.

I have a first gen T-Maxx so I'm pretty familiar with these. Yep the sand seems to be in every nook and cranny. I plan on an intense cleaning.
That's awesome. Yea I got the original tmaxx 2.5. Also built the Tmaxx 3.3. And built a one off Emaxx with a revo 2.2 trans and castle 2200kv and the castle monster esc. And it rips on 4s... happy bashing. The Tmaxx line up is a good set of trucks for sure. I never really had a y problems

Any recommendations for shock oil? This is all stock and I'm cleaning each shock as I go. This series and the T-Maxx always seem to "squat" on acceleration. Figured since I have the shocks apart I might as well use a better oil. The Associated cars I ran had a ton of suspension adjustments including different shock oils and valves. Looking at a "Big bore" kit as well. Thanks

I use 40-50wt oil in my T/Emaxx trucks. As far as brand of oil they are pretty much all the same. I use oils from,
Team associated
Team losi
And then I run stiffer springs from VG racing in California.

And the T/E maxx trucks all squat since traxxas only uses 30wt in their stock shocks. You can also play around with different dampers on shock shaft.

16911879820664976784470284068476.jpg

16911880141002347841248648443242.jpg

I use 40-50wt oil in my T/Emaxx trucks. As far as brand of oil they are pretty much all the same. I use oils from,
Team associated
Team losi
And then I run stiffer springs from VG racing in California.

And the T/E maxx trucks all squat since traxxas only uses 30wt in their stock shocks. You can also play around with different dampers on shock shaft.

View attachment 169647

View attachment 169648
Thanks, wasn't sure if different valves were available for these. Is there any difference between the stock shocks after better oil and valve vs the big bore aluminum shocks? Other than looks. Associated rc10's came with aluminum shocks and were considered one of the best at the time. I would imagine the plastic has limitations.

Thanks, wasn't sure if different valves were available for these. Is there any difference between the stock shocks after better oil and valve vs the big bore aluminum shocks? Other than looks. Associated rc10's came with aluminum shocks and were considered one of the best at the time. I would imagine the plastic has limitations.
I really never had any issues with the stock shocks on the Tmaxx or the Emaxx I built. I still run the stock shock housing and shaft with different dampers, oil, and stiffer springs on them. On my Emaxx and there are solid shocks now.

The most common problem with the stock shocks is that you blow the caps or bend shafts with BIG air jumps. So it really comes down to your driven style. And how hard you drive and bash. And the look you want your truck to have. It's all personal preference.

There really isn't a big difference between the stock and big bore shocks to be honest except $$$. And they have aluminum bores. And titanium shafts. You can pick up better shocks. Then the "Traxxas big bore" shocks. Your basically paying for the name. Not for any proformance difference..

The only thing I can add is that if the servos are locked up that means it probably saw some water. I reiterate what others have said and go through the whole roller.
Have fun with it! V1 T-Maxx owner here.

The only thing I can add is that if the servos are locked up that means it probably saw some water. I reiterate what others have said and go through the whole roller.
Have fun with it! V1 T-Maxx owner here.
100% agree with that. I personally would just change out all the electronics anyway. Especially with a used vehicle. I wouldn't take the chance. Plus Traxxas electronics no matter witch they all suck..

100% agree with that. I personally would just change out all the electronics anyway. Especially with a used vehicle. I wouldn't take the chance. Plus Traxxas electronics no matter witch they all suck..
I have a few servos sitting here so I'll be chucking the ones that are on it.

I have a few servos sitting here so I'll be chucking the ones that are on it.
Good call. Your better off doing that. There could be so much wrong with used servos. And could ruin a good outing. Better to use ones you know work. Plus the ones on it are probably stock traxxas servos. And traxxas electronics are just garbage to be honest. Love traxxas but not their electronics

Okaaaaay!!!! Got it cleaned and swapped out the rear diff(questionable diff action, really tight). Now get this...front diff runs in reverse, rear diff goes forward! What on earth would cause that? From trans the shafts spin in opposite directions. Completely stumped here.

One diff is installed backwards........ turn the ring gear to the other side.

If that doesn't fix it I'm stumped too.

One diff is installed backwards........ turn the ring gear to the other side.

If that doesn't fix it I'm stumped too.
The shafts are spinning in the same direction. I was just looking at it in utter confusion. I'll tear it apart again and flip the rear diff. Thanks.

The shafts are spinning in the same direction. I was just looking at it in utter confusion. I'll tear it apart again and flip the rear diff. Thanks.
Yeah that happens time to time.. glad you got it fixed bud..

Yeah that happens time to time.. glad you got it fixed bud..
Flipped the new diff and all the wheels spin in the same direction now! Lol. Weird thing is it came out of a spare T-Maxx I had laying around. I put it in the E-Maxx in the exact configuration as it came out but it was reverse drive rotation. I needed to rotate the mounting collar/tabs 180° to mount it in the E Maxx.

Back