Picco .21 maxx needle settings

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustler.152.5

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just spent about 1 hour trying to get my picco .21 on my nitro rustler tuned in, i can't go past 5 mph without stalling. If i go past that then it cuts out at high speeds, but exhaust is comin out like crazy. I have no idea what to do. What are the needle settings for every needle on that thing? :bored: plz help

Your probaly running to lean.

use Google.
and the site search.
there are proboly a lot of forms out there about this.

good idea thanx

if you changed the idle screw your screwed....send it back to picco/OFNA or whichever one you have....that engine is really finicky......is it a P2? or a regular .21?
forgot to ask that......the P2 is the biggest pain in the ass engine ever....when it runs right they kick ass but as the engine gets warmer you need to retune it......

ya i changed the idle screw, if i send it back will i get a free one back????????its the .21 maxx engine, the purple one.

I have NO idea why they say not to mess w/ it but I think it's on their website, If you changed the factory settings on the idle screw call their tech support line......I'm waiting to get mine back from a friend who was seeing if he could stop my air leaks but it seems to be the carb just leaks somewhere....I'm going to call and see if they can fix mine.....I have an air leak somewhere in it and it races like a horse at the kentucky derby followed by a glue truck singing alpo commercials....mine only has 3/4 gal in it and it started leaking......the power band on that thing is unreal when it ran good....Does anybody know of a carb that will fit in the P2, preferably OS , if there is one that would solve Rustler's and my problems......or if there is a way to fit an RG carb to this...I looked and the inner diameter (of the RG carb) is larger than the throat on the P2 engine......how would you go about adapting this?

That powerband is pretty freakin crazy. I love that you can hear it kick in. When you slow down after a high speed pass, does the engine kinda skip and sputter like a dirtbike? I found it strange but idk wut its supposed to do...... If they don't want you messing with the idle screw, whyt even put it on the carb????

I Don't know...I just remember reading it in some literature for the P2 engine....it was tiny print but they put it in bold.....?!?!?!?.....I think the sound has more to do w/ the pipe and how it's tuned, but yeah w/ the RD logics curved pipe mine sounds like a motocross bike.....did you call OFNA about your engine yet? I'll be out of town fo ra few days so I know I won't get my engine back for at least a week now....I'm calling as soon as I get it......and when it comes back it goes for sale......I'm fed up w/ it and just don't need it...I got another (non-turbo) Fantom .18 to slap in my maxx......less power but more reliable and easier to tune....

ya but i liek the fact that i have a 2.36 hp .21 in my nitro rustler, its fun. I'll try sumtime.

Picco's love to run rich!! My Ofna/Picco .21 is a screamin demon and is richer than any other engine I've ran, (TRX 2.5, 2.5r, Sirio, and Nova Rossi). If you're having problems with tuning, I'll tell you right now that the factory settings in the manual are way off!! So try these and then start leaning: 1) Turn both needles (HSN and LSN) completely in, I mean all the way until you can't turn them in anymore, 2) Screw the HSN out to 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 out!!!! 3)Screw the LSN out to 5 1/2 - 5 3/4!! Run the Piccos a couple of laps and then start leaning the needles out, Set the HSN first and then the LSN. I have heard of some guys setting the LSN first and then the HSN, but I've never tried that.
Anyhoo, before anyone gives me slack on these settings, Believe me, this is what my Picco is on and I haven't gotten a chance to tune for power yet and I have had to make a wheelie bar to keep it off of it's top and twisted a drive line completely in half, believe me these Picco's have more power than you can race with, but it's nice to have!

I was thinking about putting the P2 in my brother's nitro rustler. I have an ofna hyper 8 port in my rc10gt, and he wants about the same in his rustler.... If there is any way to get it running right, then i will get one!