Parma Flame Paint Masks Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
HI. I have some Parma flame paint masks that I am going to use on my next body. I cannot seem to find the transfer tape that should come with it. I don’t remember any transfer tape coming with the paint mask sheet. Do I need transfer tape to install the masks or can I just peel the masks off and put them on?

thanks

You really should use transfer tape. You can mess it up too easily if not.

Wax paper should work. I've used it before. Do a test piece on scrap paper to make sure it will hold correctly.

It is possible with out. I had to at one point with out, I just cut it in sections. Be careful not to overlap and double and tripple check your work.

Can I just buy a sheet of transfer tape from a hobby store or does it have to be the ones Parma supplies?

HI. I have some Parma flame paint masks that I am going to use on my next body. I cannot seem to find the transfer tape that should come with it. I don’t remember any transfer tape coming with the paint mask sheet. Do I need transfer tape to install the masks or can I just peel the masks off and put them on?

thanks
Cut the paper backing closely around the masks, then pick a spot and cut just enough of the backing to allow a small area of the mask to stick. Position the mask where you want it, trying not to let the exposed area stick until you have it really close. When you get it where you want it, press the exposed area to the body. Double check the position by letting go, then run your finger from the taped end to the opposite end of the mask and see if it lines up where you want it. If so, then lift the mask and start to peel the backing just enough to let it roll under the mask. Repeat the process of running your finger down the mask, sticking it down as you go, letting the backing peel as you work your way down the mask.

Cut the paper backing closely around the masks, then pick a spot and cut just enough of the backing to allow a small area of the mask to stick. Position the mask where you want it, trying not to let the exposed area stick until you have it really close. When you get it where you want it, press the exposed area to the body. Double check the position by letting go, then run your finger from the taped end to the opposite end of the mask and see if it lines up where you want it. If so, then lift the mask and start to peel the backing just enough to let it roll under the mask. Repeat the process of running your finger down the mask, sticking it down as you go, letting the backing peel as you work your way down the mask.
OK, so that's an easier way of applying the masks instead of peeling the masks completely off and using your fingers? Also, do you think it would be much easier to use transfer tape instead of your method? Can I buy transfer tape that would work in craft stores or do I need the stuff parma gives?

Also, I notice that my masks have a separate cutout along the flame masks to allow for you to kind of outline the flames in a different color. Will this make it super hard to install the masks without transfer tape?

Last edited:
OK, so that's an easier way of applying the masks instead of peeling the masks completely off and using your fingers? Also, do you think it would be much easier to use transfer tape instead of your method? Can I buy transfer tape that would work in craft stores or do I need the stuff parma gives?

Also, I notice that my masks have a separate cutout along the flame masks to allow for you to kind of outline the flames in a different color. Will this make it super hard to install the masks without transfer tape?
It depends on how complex the mask is. If it is one of the ones with lots of small flames, you are going to want a transfer sheet. You can buy vinyl transfer sheets from most hobby shops or Amazon.

Which flame set do you have?

It depends on how complex the mask is. If it is one of the ones with lots of small flames, you are going to want a transfer sheet. You can buy vinyl transfer sheets from most hobby shops or Amazon.

Which flame set do you have?
I have the tribal flames set. It’s only 6 flames and all are relatively large.

I have the tribal flames set. It’s only 6 flames and all are relatively large.
Since that has the outlines, definitely use some transfer sheets. Getting those outlines to not get out of wack otherwise would be a pain.

If I use the method you showed me by keeping the backing on the masks and sticking one section down and then slowly work your way down the mask removing the backing as you go, the outline should stay where I want it to because its going directly onto the body.

If I decide to go with transfer tape is there anything I should look for when buying some or will anything work? Correct me if I am incorrect about how it works: You remove the negative space from the mask sheet, peel off one side of the transfer tape, stick it onto the mask sheet. peel up each flame and lay it onto the body using the tape, peel the tape off and lay the flame?

The transfer tape just holds everything in place til you get it down. Here is a good vid

If you decide to buy transfer tape you want some thats thin like the paper type they use in the video. They make some thats a thicker vinyl material but It will be harder to get the mask to stick properly in tougher areas using that stuff

@Doom! probably has some good ideas for transfer tape. I have never purchased it separately. I have however used low tack painters tape before, but I didn't have any complex curves to navigate.

Another thing I have done on tricky decals is wet the decal with water with a drop or two of dish soap in it. This allows you to slide the decals around. Then squeeze out the bubbles and let it sit for a bit for the water to evaporate.

Is there any way to make transfer tape out of everyday objects instead of having to spend 15-20 dollars on a sheet of transfer tape?

Is there any way to make transfer tape out of everyday objects instead of having to spend 15-20 dollars on a sheet of transfer tape?
Clear box tape. Stick your hand to it a few times to lower the tack.

@Doom! probably has some good ideas for transfer tape. I have never purchased it separately. I have however used low tack painters tape before, but I didn't have any complex curves to navigate.

Another thing I have done on tricky decals is wet the decal with water with a drop or two of dish soap in it. This allows you to slide the decals around. Then squeeze out the bubbles and let it sit for a bit for the water to evaporate.
I've done that with Windex or a 15% alcohol based solution

As Fog mentioned above your best bet without transfer paper is probably going to be to spray the area where the vinyl mask is going to be with either his solution or one of mine and then you can just peel the mask off one section at a time and lay it on the area you sprayed. This will allow the mask to slide around anywhere you have sprayed. Once you get the mask where you want it you'll need to make sure theres no air bubbles under it and then take some sort of decal squeegee and lightly go over the mask pushing as much of the liquid out from under as you can without moving the mask. Once you have done that then you can just let the area dry and the mask will be stuck as if youd put it down with transfer paper.

So the main goal of transfer tape is to be sticky enough to pull the masks off the backing but have enough give so you can lay it onto the body?

So the main goal of transfer tape is to be sticky enough to pull the masks off the backing but have enough give so you can lay it onto the body?
Yeah, then once the masks are stuck, the transfer tape has to peel off the mask without peeling it up. So it needs to be low tack, kinda like panter's tape.

Here is what comes with the Parma mask kits I believe.

Funny, that looks almost exactly like the back of the Parma mask sheet. Is there any chance that the transfer tape is on the back of the sheet?

Funny, that looks almost exactly like the back of the Parma mask sheet. Is there any chance that the transfer tape is on the back of the sheet?
That is the transfer tape. It has the same paper backing because it is more than likely made in the exact same place. Very likely on the same exact machine.