painting plastic models.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrlracer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i was wondering if any of you paint plastic model cars?

i'm currently making a rally mini cooper ... but the paint has bobble'd a little on the side of the car..
do you know why this happens and if there's a way of taking it away?

i'm using spray cans.

also how do you paint the rim on the windows? it's hard for me to do a straight line.. and i don't wanna mess it up

Thanx dudes!

I haven't painted a plastic model in a long time, but I'm thinking of getting back into it. A lot of the techniques we use on our RC cars will apply.
In your specific case, if there's a drip on the side of the body, I'd take a paper towel with some paint thinner and gently work the drip off. It might take a while. Be very careful to make sure you don't let the thinner harm the plastic. And make sure you feather the perimeter of the area then just spray a new coat of paint. You shouldn't be able to see it then.
To rim the window, try masking the area with tape. That way you can paint sloppy and the overshoot will just peel off leaving a nice straight rim.

Great advice.thanx candyman! :thumbup:

Do you know why i got those bubbles in the first place? that way i can try and prevent it from happening again.. maybe i was too heavy on the spraying?

have you still got any models you made in the past ? i would like to see them.

i've made a couple of rally cars in the past but they fell apart after some time so i threw them away.. now i regret throwing them as i put alot of work and effort into making them...
i have a couple other cars that i made a few years ago that i kept (the ones that haven't fallen apart yet lol )
i also made drivers and passengers for them ,using those little homie figures.. :) its fun.

I haven't built a plastic model in eons. If any still exist I would be truly shocked. But my daughter just started getting interested and I think she's dragging me back in. Problem now is I'm much older and far more anal about detail so I know I'm going to be a pain in the ass when I start one.

As far as the bubbles and such, first spray light coats. Instead of trying to douse the whole body in one shot, build it up lightly. You'll be less prone to runs and bubbles. Also, warm the spray can under warm tap water before you spray. That will help thin the paint a bit and also raises the pressure slightly. It helps to atomize the paint finer and should give a more uniform coat.

I haven't built a plastic model in eons. If any still exist I would be truly shocked. But my daughter just started getting interested and I think she's dragging me back in. Problem now is I'm much older and far more anal about detail so I know I'm going to be a pain in the ass when I start one.

As far as the bubbles and such, first spray light coats. Instead of trying to douse the whole body in one shot, build it up lightly. You'll be less prone to runs and bubbles. Also, warm the spray can under warm tap water before you spray. That will help thin the paint a bit and also raises the pressure slightly. It helps to atomize the paint finer and should give a more uniform coat.

how old is your daughter,if you don't mind me asking and what models is she interested in? has she made any yet?

i think you should get back into it!
i know what you mean about being anal,i want mine to come out perfect but it already is kinda messed up... i guess i just have to pratice..

you said about using paint thinner ,what if i just sanded it down with sanding paper.. would that also do the trick? (for the small bubbles)

The thinner is a much more gentle approach to keep from harming the surrounding area, I use that same method when I get in a bind. You want to be very light with the thinner so it's not dripping or anything and go slow. However, I'm not expert like Candyman, and he can help you way more than I can, I just thought I would chime in just in case you were in a hurry to do it now.

thanx guys.. i didn't have any thinner left and was too lazy to go back to the shop so i sanded it down a little.. i haven't resprayed over it yet...so don't know how it will look.

it was only a small area but for next time i will definatly use you guys method,using the thinner..
thanx.
i'll show you when i've finished the model if you like. :thumbup: