Overkill 6x6 Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGOverkill

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
My son (8) and i have decided that our next project would be a custom 6x6. Figured it would be a good next step in his RC hobby and a great test of my patience teaching him to use a lathe and an air brush.

Parts list so far:
- IERC 6x6 frame
- Exo Alpinist dual rear output transmission (back axle will pass through a carrier bearing vs the middle axle)
- HH Puller pro V2 2200 motor (take off from my Phoenix)
- Castle mamba ESC (take off from my Phoenix)

I was hoping to find one of the old Axial SCX6 UMG10 6x6 bodies, but they apparently do not exist so i am still looking.

I do need help with axles though, i will be doing 6 wheel steer to help with maneuverability on this lengthily beast.. I have narrowed it down to 3 options.

- Vanquish F10 Portals
- KYX SCX10: https://kyxmodel.com/collections/ax...x10-small-pamkin?_pos=10&_fid=12efe8efe&_ss=c
- KYX Capra: https://kyxmodel.com/products/c-9?_pos=2&_sid=e4b5fb3cc&_ss=r

This sounds like quite the project, be happy your doing it with your son, if I was helping you might have to slap me in the back of the head a few times and tell me to pay attention. 🤪

Looking forward to seeing some pics as you progress.:thumbs-up:
My son (8) and i have decided that our next project would be a custom 6x6. Figured it would be a good next step in his RC hobby and a great test of my patience teaching him to use a lathe and an air brush.

Parts list so far:
- IERC 6x6 frame
- Exo Alpinist dual rear output transmission (back axle will pass through a carrier bearing vs the middle axle)
- HH Puller pro V2 2200 motor (take off from my Phoenix)
- Castle mamba ESC (take off from my Phoenix)

I was hoping to find one of the old Axial SCX6 UMG10 6x6 bodies, but they apparently do not exist so i am still looking.

I do need help with axles though, i will be doing 6 wheel steer to help with maneuverability on this lengthily beast.. I have narrowed it down to 3 options.

- Vanquish F10 Portals
- KYX SCX10: https://kyxmodel.com/collections/ax...x10-small-pamkin?_pos=10&_fid=12efe8efe&_ss=c
- KYX Capra: https://kyxmodel.com/products/c-9?_pos=2&_sid=e4b5fb3cc&_ss=r

This sounds like quite the project, be happy your doing it with your son, if I was helping you might have to slap me in the back of the head a few times and tell me to pay attention. 🤪

Looking forward to seeing some pics as you progress.:thumbs-up:
Thanks!

I am not familiar with the capra or SCX10 portal axles so i don't know the pros and cons of each. I do know the capra axles are wider, but they would be similar to what i am running on my Vanquish.

No opinions on axles? I'd like to get them ordered so i can start building!

Anyone here use the NB4 and are familiar with different mixes?

No opinions on axles? I'd like to get them ordered so i can start building!

Anyone here use the NB4 and are familiar with different mixes?

Blank stare from me 😶 I don't have a clue for picking axles that would work. Not my strong suit. Wish I could help.

I'd do axial or traxxas trx4 based axles. They both offered 6x6. That will give you the unique center axle case with two outputs. On my scx10ii, the front and rear axle are the same, just different ends for the front or rear. The trx 4 should be the same. That's your rear steer.

Do you have access to a 3d printer?

I'd do axial or traxxas trx4 based axles. They both offered 6x6. That will give you the unique center axle case with two outputs. On my scx10ii, the front and rear axle are the same, just different ends for the front or rear. The trx 4 should be the same. That's your rear steer.

Do you have access to a 3d printer?
I do have access to a 3D printer.

I dont want a pass through middle axle. I have a transmission with dual rear outputs. The rear driveshaft will go to a carrier bearing, then to the back axle. That should help with clearance and the odd flex issues you can get with pass though axles.

slow process as i am trying to figure out if i should 6ws or not and i still have no idea on the body.

Had my son install the trans and assemble all the wheels (3BRC antifoams inside)
20240204_145134_resized.jpg
20240204_145140_resized.jpg

Bunch more progress done this weekend. Made 3 sets of steering links and the front 4 links. All out of 1/4 stainless, overkill however they fit the size of the link ends well. first 3 pics show the the original links.

20240224_090604_resized.jpg

20240224_091352_resized.jpg

20240225_093148_resized.jpg

20240225_095232_resized.jpg

20240226_065014_resized.jpg

20240226_065047_resized.jpg

watching this build as it is amazing!
It has been great bonding with my 8 year old son. He saw how to use the Lathe (but didn't touch it) and was the one who threaded the links (among everything else so far).

Unfortunately that motor is too long and contacts the upper links so i will have to order a new HH stubbie.

It has been great bonding with my 8 year old son. He saw how to use the Lathe (but didn't touch it) and was the one who threaded the links (among everything else so far).

Unfortunately that motor is too long and contacts the upper links so i will have to order a new HH stubbie.
Thats awesome! I'm currently a freshman in Highschool and I am in a manufacturing class and we are learning how to use the lathe, plasma cutter, and other cool stuff like that! I think we are gonna be doing welding today but I already know how as I taught myself over the summer with a welder I bought from cleaning people's yards. It's a shame that motor is too long for the car. Looks good so far!

Thats awesome! I'm currently a freshman in Highschool and I am in a manufacturing class and we are learning how to use the lathe, plasma cutter, and other cool stuff like that! I think we are gonna be doing welding today but I already know how as I taught myself over the summer with a welder I bought from cleaning people's yards. It's a shame that motor is too long for the car. Looks good so far!
not a big deal, it was a take off from my VS410 build.

minor updates:
- Ordered a HH Revolver 540SS Team spec 2250Kv motor and Furitek Python X (now have a Puller Pro V2 2200kv and Mamba X I need to sell)
- Starting milling the middle links
- Ran into an issue. The F10 axles use M5 stub shafts, however the boom racing wheels (also have 3 extra pairs i need to sell as i accidentally double ordered) will only fit the more standard M4 nut. I drilled and tapped some M4 nuts to M5. ordered some M5 coupling nuts and also 2 stub shafts to attempt milling them down and threading to accept a M4 nut. We shall see what works best!
- Still undecided on a body, but am leaning towards a stock Phoenix cab (although they're sold out). Was hoping IERC would have their 6x6 flat bed released (said they were working on one), but i looks like ill have to attempt making one on my own.

Back