OS glow plug question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so I know that my Odonnells plugs that I usually use wont work in my OS engines because the body is to long but I also dont want to pay the high price of the OS plugs. I can usually find the Odonnells on sale somewhere for 1-3 bucks ea and the OS plugs are like 7-8 bucks ea. Are there any cheaper brands of glow plugs that can be used in OS engines?

Also I noticed on the Odonnell Glow plug chart that Odonell ODO77's are compared to OS no.8's. Does this mean the ODO77's will work in OS engines?

Hmmmm that never even occured to me. I suppose that would work. Have you actually done this? Just curious if you're talking theory or from experience.

I did find Thunder Tiger R2 medium glow plugs. They are short bodied plugs like the OS but I have no idea about their quality. I ordered a handful to try em out. They are only about 4.50ea.

I ordered 20 more Odonnells plugs since amain has the for .99 ea for black friday right now....those along with the dozen or so other odonnells plugs I have and the couple of OS 8's I already have I dont think I'll have to buy glow plugs for a little while lmao.

I ordered 5 from them last night since all you could order were 5. I've never had a need to run two washers, but they are copper, so I wouldn't see any issue with doing so as any deformities will squash out and make a good seal when you tighten it down.

Yeah they raised the limit to 10 ea half way through the day today so I ordered 10 ODO100's and 10 ODO002's, I already have like 6-7 ODO 99's and 6-7 ODO 77's. I think I have all my bases covered lol

I'm not so sure your engine won't work with a regular long plug. Which os engine is it?

Ok so I know that my Odonnells plugs that I usually use wont work in my OS engines because the body is to long but I also dont want to pay the high price of the OS plugs. I can usually find the Odonnells on sale somewhere for 1-3 bucks ea and the OS plugs are like 7-8 bucks ea. Are there any cheaper brands of glow plugs that can be used in OS engines?

Also I noticed on the Odonnell Glow plug chart that Odonell ODO77's are compared to OS no.8's. Does this mean the ODO77's will work in OS engines?

I use " The Real Mcoy's Glow Plugs MED Temp " in my 3 Nitro Rig's & never had a problem with the plug's.. IE start up / run times / fuel burn ECT
I dont know exact prices I am paying but think the Real Mcoy's run in the range of 3.00 - 4.00 bucks.. I tried OS plugs a few times but I really like the Real Mcoy's

I have an OS .21tm and an OS .30VG but all of the odonnells say they are "long bodied" and not compatible with OS engines.

I did not know anything about you're not supposed to use the O'Donnell plugs in and OS engine. I have medium plugs with the purple top and I run them in an OS 18 engine. I run them in every engine I have.

Last edited:
Yeah that's gotta be a line of crap because the #77 and lc3/lc4 plugs all work just fine in my 18tm....
The 21tm comes with an lc3 hot long reach plug.

Well the ODO77's do say they are comparable to OS8's but the others dont say that. I compared the OS plugs to the Odonnells and they are indeed shorter. The ODO77s included so i guess if the 77's will work any of them will work. It does make one wonder though if there is some small potential risk? Its hard to say for sure cuz Odonnells doesn't even make plugs anymore from what I understand so all the info thats out there about em are old.

I looked up the 21tm yesterday and it comes with an Lc3 long hot plug. That tells me any length will work.
The OS #8 is a short and will rob you of performance.

The TM plugs are made for TM/traxxas engines specifically and are longer than OS's non TM plugs. My guess is they made them longer so the newbies can use traxxas plugs in them since the TM engines were made for Traxxas vehicles.

Using too long of a plug screws with the burn room in the combustion chamber. Just makes it less efficient and raises compression slightly. Most "long" vs "short" plugs only differ by about 1 thread, which is why using a second washer on a long plug is usually enough to get the bottom of the glowplug flush with the inside of the head button.

Now if you have a long plug with idle bar, then you may have issues as they are even longer and may actually make contact with the piston. That would be really bad.

Last edited:
Back