On road tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalib

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What up guys? Can anyone suggest some GOOD on road mounted tires. I have the ofna x3 gt that I've basically turned into a drag machine. problem is I keep ripping the tire from the wheel no matter how many times I re-glue them. I'm currently running rubber slicks (don't know the brand) and they only stay together while the engine is cold once she warms up forget about it! I totally destroyed the stock tires. Any suggestions would be helpful. Would prefer black wheels but at this point it doesn't matter, I'm trying to win races.;)

A lot of road racers at the local track use pre-mounted foam tires. They last usually 1 day of racing.

I've seen people using foam tires, which I expect would be stronger because of better bonding to the rim.

Thanks fellas.

A lot of road racers at the local track use pre-mounted foam tires. They last usually 1 day of racing.
GRP makes some really good belted slicks and belted treaded 1/8 scale GT racing tires. I use them on my 100+MPH kits. I've also used Ipanema slicks too but those are hard to find these days.

http://brucknerhobbies.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_23_27
Greywolf74 would you suggest the treaded or the slicks? I'm mostly doing drag racing and speed runs on asphalt.

Last edited:
The surface of the track where we do our on-road racing as asphalt, which is why they wear out the foams so quickly.

Compound choice depends on conditions, surface, how much grip you want, longevity of tyre and other things besides.

Compound choice depends on conditions, surface, how much grip you want, longevity of tyre and other things besides.
I live in Miami so most of the year it is warm and humid, gonna be running on asphalt, I'm drag racing so I need to get out the hole without fishtailing all over the place, tire life not that big of a concern. ANY suggestions will help. The drag and speed scene is pretty serious among the brothers down here, guys have some FAST rigs so any little advantage helps;)

Ok, well, Super Soft compound and tyre warmers **should** keep you sticky (it is what I would use), but do not expect the tyres to last too long.

Ok, well, Super Soft compound and tyre warmers **should** keep you sticky (it is what I would use), but do not expect the tyres to last too long.
Thanks a million bro!

I'm saying it *should** keep you sticky, not that it will, nor that they are the perfect tyre.
What I AM saying, is that is what I would run, and use the boot warmers too.

Once a tyre breaks traction, it is not easy to regain it without slowing down.

I'm saying it *should** keep you sticky, not that it will, nor that they are the perfect tyre.
What I AM saying, is that is what I would run, and use the boot warmers too.

Once a tyre breaks traction, it is not easy to regain it without slowing down.
Yeah I understand you. But like I said ANY little advantage is will be helpful. I will start with those then experiment till I find what works. I had been an offroader for the longest and decided to give on road a shot so I know very little about on road tuning. I've been getting spanked pretty good mainly because my tires have been crap.

once you sort your tyres, you will need to look at chassis setup, weight distribution, camber, toe and shock setup.

A squirelly rig is a sod to control, and this is where a balanced chassis will always help immensley by ensuring one side or end of the chassis is not carrying more weight than the other, or that one tyre is bearing more weight than another. With the shocks, it is a fine line of tuning which is the best shock oil and what the best spring rate is. Too soft and it will roll too much. Too hard and the whole rig will bounce losing valuable traction.

if you are not using sway bars, it may be worth looking at them. If they are fitted, you will need to find the best balance in combination with shock setup.

Also, bearing maintenance is a must. Always install the best bearings you can afford and maintain them properly.

Then there is the issue of gear ratio ti think about. Do you want hard acceleration, higher speed or a combination of the two?

Lots to consider besides just what the best tyres are when it comes to setting a rig up for drag racing.

Last edited:
once you sort your tyres, you will need to look at chassis setup, weight distribution, camber, toe and shock setup.
well, as I'm sure you know quite well, learning is half the fun:D. Thanks bro.

learning?

I can set a rig to most conditions of on-road. At least, I could before I sold all the equipment I used!

More of an off-road than on-road runner these days, but not for much longer. Once I finish my revo, I'm sorting myself a quality, adjustable, tunable, on-road rig. Then I can get back to my "time-Attack" running.

learning?

I can set a rig to most conditions of on-road. At least, I could before I sold all the equipment I used!

More of an off-road than on-road runner these days, but not for much longer. Once I finish my revo, I'm sorting myself a quality, adjustable, tunable, on-road rig. Then I can get back to my "time-Attack" running.
I'm the one that's learning LOL.

It's a long and enlightening journey!

Trust in the fact that you will surprise yourself on how much of your schooling you will use and how used to researching things you will become.

I sometimes reference sources that may to others seem outlandish, but what I take from that research I can use within r/c...

Sometimes, you will come upon cross-platform componants that will fit/suit your rig from an entirely different model, brand or both purely from research or seeing the componants on another rig and trying them on yours.

the compound I use depends on how hot it is outside. in spring and fall I use softer compounds than in the middle of summer.

Back