On board ignition system

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this like tits on a boar??? You don't intend to ever start it and no one will ever see it, all locked up firmly in its environmentally controlled glass case. lol Great idea, lets see it in action.

What about a way to ignite it from your controller? Like a 3chan tx/rx setup? This is a great idea. It makes me want to modify the traxxas ez start to having an onboard battery to start it...

I was thinking about the servo and micro switch and servo as well, but you would still have to use the rotostarter to turn the engine over.

I was thinking about the servo and micro switch and servo as well, but you would still have to use the rotostarter to turn the engine over.

If he REALLY wanted to he could certainly make it 100% remote start.

Just think how easy it would be to do this with say a TRX engine with EZstart. It would only take a couple things, a 7.2v pack somewhere on the truck and a small servo to complete the circuit via 3rd channel. All the servo would need to do is make contact. It wouldn't even require a super solid mount.. servo tape would be enough. Hmm... gives me something to do with my 3rd channel on my Maxx :)

Yeah I was thinking of EXACTLY the same method with the EZ start system. Only thing is, I would use a LiPo battery because of the weight. Something like this 1290 mah would be ideal size wise, and if you wanted more starts out of it, you could bump it up to a 2000 mah. Here's the 1290 with a nice size comparison. For the servo, you could use the same micro switch that we use on our motor over axle crawlers to control power to the rear motor.

Just think how easy it would be to do this with say a TRX engine with EZstart.

I thought long and hard back when I first got my first revo with a 2.5. Everytime I would go down the street the thing would die and Id have to go for a walk. lol. Should have tried it!

Rolex that is a killer idea. Throw some road rages on that truck and go break it in and just drive it up and down the street a couple times. Asphalt dust is easy to clean off with a compressor lol. :)

Not that's he's going to drive it, asphalt and concrete aren't too friendly on a rig with that much aluminum lol. I don't think Rolex likes the rock rash look that we're pimpin on the crawlers.

So, Rolex, let me get this right. I'm a bit of a Nitro n00b - I don't even have a nitro truck but I want one when money and developing of my crawler allows. This system works the glow plug from a push-button on the truck, right? Do you still have to turn the motor over using a separate electric starter? I know the Revo 3.3 has a starter motor (neat feature I thought) - didn't know if the Savage did or if you'd fitted one or something. It'd be a neat as hell system if all you had to do was hold the glow button down for like 10 secs than hit a starter button and roll her over.

Last edited:
This is an on board glow plug igniter. Usually with a nitro you have to carry a tool that looks like a screwdriver. It fits over the glow plug and heats it up red hot, and then you turn the motor over with a pull start or roto starter to start it. The Savage has a roto start with is just a shaft style starter that fits into a motor plate that's connected to the crankshaft. When the shaft spins, the motor starts. The Traxxas has an Easy Start, which is similar to a starter on a car. there's a small electric starter motor connected to the backplate of the motor, and you hold a wand in your hand with a battery in it and control board. There's also a wire running to the glow plug. WHen you plug the hand wand into the plug on the truck, the battery heats the glow plug and the control board tells the electric starter to spin when you push the button.

Got this thang runnin' yet? I want to see it in action. ;)

Anyone in the last 4 posts can bite me.

Charlie has it right. A completely remote starter system would work on a Traxxas with the EZstart motor built onto the car, but the Savage starter is a hand held unit with the motor and hex shaft, and only a dog bone connection in the back plate of the engine.
I took some more detailed pics of the setup, and I'll try to get them posted here later today.

Last edited:
anything is possible. It could be done. It would take quite a bit of custom work with your setup but it could be done. C'mon Ralph, you've come so far. Don't half ass it now :)

Yea, I have a tmaxx without reverse now, so with a extra channel I have thought of making it remote start before. I love how well this is put together. I personally love/hate road rash on my aluminum, but thats what I built it for. If I wasn't going to run it all out like I do, I wouldn't have bought it. I didnt buy the aluminum parts for the truck, but it is basically all FLM 3.3 tmaxx with a stock chassis, os21tm and rc solutions cage :)

That glow plug connector that goes right on the glow plug looks like a small scale spark plug insulator. Man that look sweet... So your absolutly sure you don't want any of those microfibre polishing cloths? looks like you need 'em...