Ofna ultra lx thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
This is my thread of my new ofna ultra lx buggy I got.
Just got it today and I've put about a tank through it. I'm having so much fun you guys have no idea.
Pictures later video tomorrow!:)

Some pictures!!

Before bashing in snow!
20131210_122958_zpsnzkucv17.jpg
20131210_123003_zpssizgzygq.jpg
20131210_123020_zps3w6zu6zn.jpg
20131210_123056_zpsr6pgl0sk.jpg

When I preheated it it started up good, ran good for a few minutes then started running like crap. Tried retuning and didnt do anything. I then remembered that it sat for 6 months so the gas in it was junk.
Also sent a junk rx. So she got my rx tx and hump pack from the volcano!
I then got some good gas in her and shes running great!
Not a whole lot of tread left so was very fun drifting and throwing the snow around until batteries started dying.
I got about a tank through her and this motor has alot of life lift!
I am having alot of fun and am happy :)
Heres some after photos/slight cleaning photos
20131210_221203_zps1xthoh9u.jpg
20131210_221208_zpspvmyht0k.jpg
20131210_221221_zpsklek6xbe.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to upload a video of it running! Playing with it a little :)
This is alot more complex and differently built but I like it, so much tougher and more durable.
I really see what you fuys mean buy toy grade( redcat)

I also have my box of stuff coming from Jsmith
2 duratrax 4wd rollers one 90% the other 80% a few motors and some other stuff. So I've got plenty of projects and toys to tinker with for a while!:)
Along with the mac .28 that Nitronerd is sending me!

Also looking for help identifying it. I know its an ultra lx something I believe. Any help would be great!

Last edited:
In that last picture it looks like the side of the fuel tank is melted. If keep an eye on that if not just replace it. Looks pretty good for the price!

Good catch lol, I caught it as well. When I had rhe gas tank off. I will be keeping an eye on it as its barely meltedand there not even close to touching
And I agree great with the price as I paid 115 for a junk s30 2 months ago...
Should have listened to you guys then!! But its still in my hands for now.

Any help with identifying it though?

Deffinately time to do smething about my servos. Buggy is off as throttle servo is shorting out. I had to stop it wot with a good 80 between when it went wot. Didnt feel to good. Jerked the motor a tiny bit as the brake caught the flywheel and killed it for me.
What is the best meathod to water proof till can buy some waterproof ones

edit.
servo is back to life but a little special. Works like before but trim is funny. For it to adjust with small adjustments I have to tap throttle

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that engine at all, but man the HSN looks lean. Don't think I've ever seen one that far from flush. What are the stock settings?

Stock is 3 to 3.5 out. Its about 3.25 and running perfect. Idles great, screams at wot and takes off like its the most wanted man in america.
I finally got something right for once besides the servo. Should have known as this is the second time. But I did save this one though. I need some new tread thoufh as you can see.
I also put my waterproof air filter on it as well

Glad you're having fun with your buggy.
Do some research, that looks to me like an Ofna Violator, not an Ultra Lx.

If you're gonna run in snow, get some tires with some decent tread, otherwise you're just spinning your wheels and over heating your engine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Panther...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0d222827
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-1-8-CAR-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c74626618

Since you're planning to upgrade servos, check out the waterproof servos available from Hitec ,Traxxas and Savox. In the meantime,
you can seal up your servos with dielectric grease. Wrap your receiver in a balloon and you're good to go.
I'd upgrade that air cleaner too eventually.. something less restrictive like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-DURANG...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c72efa8c7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Air-Fi...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7f2a4f75

Last edited:
I wouldn't run it if your throttle servo is acting up.....it's the most important one. If your steering one goes out, you can still stop......if your throttle sticks, all you can do is pick your target.

I wouldn't run it if your throttle servo is acting up.....it's the most important one. If your steering one goes out, you can still stop......if your throttle sticks, all you can do is pick your target.

And start picking up the pieces.

So I've had an ultra lx an mbx and now a violator...
id like to get this settled...
also am trying some as seen it on tv rubber in a can to see if I can waterproof servos for now. Receiver is already slashproof but will balloon it now.
and yes new tires are needed.
But I have some coming from jsmith in the box I bought off him so waiting to see what I have.
On a good note. I've got about 2 tanks through her..... I just can't get enough! !
The smell the SOUND the speed and fun!! I love it :D

Love those Ofnas! It'll take you a day or two to get the box from me sorted out to recognizable buggys! It's the fun I guess. I used to love putting things together from this and that. I've just become so specialized in my dirt oval cars. Kind of a set pace. I'm sure I'll be done with those in a year or two then have to get into something else. Maybe hijacking amazon drones or something! ( note to the NSA: I am only kidding..)
Glad your having fun! And super glad to have met you!

Lol you will never know what ofna that is. It appears that ofna grabbed the same platform and put different style bodys and gave them names lol.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! Now is the voilator a better or worse buggy? What do I gain or loose? I'm happy with the 130 but was it worth it? I've had nothing but fun the last two days with this thing!
Its a tank! Its so fast and fun! Tires were pretty gone when I got it but the middle of them there isnt much tread left :(
And thanks jsmith! I can't wait !!! It can't come soon enough!!! And thanks :)
And thats true. How did they make money renaming the same thing 100 times..

---------- Post added at 5:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:46 PM ----------

And start picking up the pieces.

Yes I thought it was my tune again due to weather outside. It didnt click that it was my servo until it went wot on me. The first one in my volcqno was the stearing one this was the throttle, when it hit wot i was like crap this sucks. It was atleast facing me with atleast 80 feet of room, you guys do the math of the speed. Went straight to me from start to finish at wot and hit hard. I mean HARD.
On the up side its back to life, and its going to my steering and there both being waterproofed as we speak!
I want to get a bumblebee fail safe now

The Ofna buggy’s are relatively the same with subtle differences between the models.
They all handle pretty much the same with individual setup being the main factor.
A lot of the parts are interchangeable/the same or can be made to work between them.
Hard to say if 1 is better than the other since they are so much alike.

If your still using a radio other then 2.4ghz, that should be your next investment.
Your servo’s are only as good as the radio that’s sending them the signal…

I have my 2.4ghz redcat remote I want to get that sky one with an lcd for 40 next

Right now I'm oiling the diffs and learning a little. I dont like how some of the stuff is getting rusty on it:(
I need a winter beater for that reason lol
also fixing the battery box

dont like how some of the stuff is getting rusty on it:(

Simple solution. Don't drive it in any type of wet conditions. But of you must I would get a couple cans of compressed air and as soon as your Done running spray the snot out of it, get every nook and cranny. Then tear it apart and clean it thoroughly.