Ofna Hyper 8

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhungry114

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Currently I'm racing a Traxxas Revo and a Traxxas Jato at my local track. Dont get me wrong I love to run both of them but I want to get into the 1/8th scale buggy class. I was looking at the Hyper 8 not because its the newest one but because I want quality. Is this going to hold up to racing every weekend? What parts are prone to breaking? Anything I should know before buying this? I wont be running it until next season unless my track has an indoor 1/8th class this year. So I have plenty of time to beaf it up.

If you are looking for quality, I'd check out the Xray XB8 kit. IMO there is no kit out there that matches their parts in fit and finish. I had the opportunity to help build one for a friend and was very impressed.

In addition to the Xray, Mugen, Kyosho and Jammin also have very nice buggies. Not trying to take anything from the Hyper, just giving you some more options.

I think I'm going to go with a Sportwerks Turmoil Pro or the Losi 8ight. Since I already have the Spektrum system I'm going to go with a kit. Any suggestions with engines and pipes?

not many people in this site like the hyper buggies, they like mugen, kyosho & xray, but if you like the hyper8 then get the hyper8, is a great buggy, and not to mention that HoBao Racing placed 5 hyper8 buggies in the top 13 spots after the last round of qualifying at the Buggy World Championship last month. believe me they will not tell you that in this website.
here is a link to some hyper8 info,
http://ofna.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
and here is my hyper8 & hyper7
H8
17819595124.jpg

H7 (old pic, looks better now)
17820075639.jpg

H8 & H7
17820013084.jpg

How does the 8 compare to the Jammin?

Robinator said:
what pipe are you running on your hyper 7?

those are old pics of the hyper7 with my old 8 port engines, (the top pic it has my old 8 port race engine with a jammi jp-1 pipe, the other pic has a 8 port sport engine w/new hyper8 pipe), but I run the pipe kit that comes with the hyper8, and the engine is the new .21 hyper 8 port race version, the new hyper 8 port race engine has been upgraded with a complete rounded exhaust, the fins on the head aren't as thick, and the bottom of the engine case was also changed a little. the pipe that comes with the hyper8 buggy is a good all around pipe....

phillikw said:
How does the 8 compare to the Jammin?

IMO the hyper8 buggy is more aggressive than the jammin, feels better jumping, and it handles rough tracks better than the jammin due to the new suspension geometry and the long travel.....

Last edited:
Are those pro kits are RTR? If I go with a hyper 8 RTR, would you say its race ready at the club level?
If not, what changes would you suggest making?

I was reading another forum, and I can tell you that, You won't find any hobao racing guys in this website, i think that the last one just got kicked out, but here is a better way of information.

damn, That yellow Hyper8 looks AWESOME!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
BUNCH OF BLIND , BLIND, BLIND, SINGLE MIND PEOPLE

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET????? , :dance:

BOOOOH!!!!

Last edited:
Yawn..................

Good God can we get the thread back on topic?

ANYWAY............

I think the RTR could go club racing. As for what to change, my best guess would be the standard radio gear would be one of the 1st to go. The stock steering servo is not up to racing. Then it would be a matter of seeing what parts break and maybe replacing them with the PRO bits.

The biggest "problem" is that the Hyper 8 is just not as popular on here or at my local tracks. That is NOT to mean that it is not a racer, just that people have chosen other buggys. This my hinder you in finding set-up help, but most set up help can be found online. Also buggys are buggys,many things are the same across the board. Also the hobby shops my not carry parts, but you can always get bits online.

For the $$$ the RTR looks to be a good deal.........

I bought a 8 Pro, and have been getting extra stuff on eBay for cheap, like the sweet looking towers from the pro for $13 for the front and rear. I also picked up a O.S. V-spec for cheap. I hope the buggy is as good as they say on the ofna page, we will see but it sure does look nice.

Have fun with the new buggy, I'm putting the finishing touches on the XB-8 roller I purchased from another member and can't wait to get that bad boy broken in.

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the v specs so much. Easy to tune lots of bottom and mid power. I'm using Os 2060 pipe & P3 glow plug, so far I just finish my 1st gallon on it. I made an order for TKO ceramic bearing, cause a friend of mine suggest that i will still be able to get more power after changing the bearing to ceramic.

For my Revo I used OS .18TM so far so good, I just finish 1 gallon. Glow plug still look fresh. If you want to see more pics of my revo, I recently posted pics in other thread " Post pictures of your revo" . I need suggestion for all the thing I've done so far.

Back