Off balance wheel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewguyRC21

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys,

3nd post and you can still tell I’m a newbie. When I first took my scx10.2 out of the package and drove it for the first time I noticed one of the wheels had a slight wobble to it. Kinda like when a car has a broken wheel bearing and you change lanes because you don’t want that thing to fall off and hit you.

well I bought new tires and wheels. Bead locks and proline hydrax with double foam. Well now I have 3 wheels that wobble. Does not change how it drives or crawls but just wondering if I did something wrong or if I’m crazy

hey guys,

3nd post and you can still tell I’m a newbie. When I first took my scx10.2 out of the package and drove it for the first time I noticed one of the wheels had a slight wobble to it. Kinda like when a car has a broken wheel bearing and you change lanes because you don’t want that thing to fall off and hit you.

well I bought new tires and wheels. Bead locks and proline hydrax with double foam. Well now I have 3 wheels that wobble. Does not change how it drives or crawls but just wondering if I did something wrong or if I’m crazy
Pretty much all RC wheels come unbalanced. You can balance them yourself with some clay stuck inside the rim or with weighted tape. For bashing or crawling it's not a huge deal but if you speed run like I do you have to balance every wheel perfect or you'll have catastrophe.

I wouldnt think an SCX10 wouldnt go fast enough to worry about the wheels being unbalanced but there are various methods out there for balancing wheels.

I use an airplane prop balancer to balance mine although I had to make a modified base for it for balancing really wide monster truck tires. The "weighting material" as he calls it in this video can be just regular old moddeling clay. doesn't need to be anything special.

Last edited:
I wouldnt think an SCX10 would go fast enough to worry about the wheels being unbalanced but there are various methods out there for balancing wheels.

I use an airplane prop balancer to balance mine although I had to make a modified base for it for balancing really wide monster truck tires. The "weighting material" as he calls it in this video can be just regular old moddeling clay. doesn't need to be anything special.
I like to use golfers lead tape. I tend to mess up clay when running in snow/wet areas.
https://www.amazon.com/SummerHouse-Density-Available-Thickness-Fishing/dp/B06VVFYWNQ
https://www.amazon.com/Brampton-Lead-Tape-Golf-Clubs/dp/B005CJL2M4

hey guys,

My beadlock wheels and hyrax tires do the same thing (at least two of them) but it doesn't seem to affect the way it crawls. Sometimes I wonder if it even helps in certain situations. 😏

golfers tape? never heard of it but it seems like you're laying some knowledge down for me today so I'm in full gather mode! lol
Well, I tried lead weights, which were thick and prone to getting pealed off at a later date in my not so delicate hands. That was after I messed up the clay on a couple during the winter. Then I ran across the lead tape and figured I'd try it. Seems to adhere well and is thin enough that it doesn't get knocked off or messed up for those who are less than careful like me. :)

hey guys,

I’m thinking it’s more of a mounting issue and not a balance issue. Unless your SCX10 is built for speed, I doubt you’d notice them being out of balance. If it bothers you enough, just try reseating the tires on the rims and keep working it as you tighten the bead locks in a start pattern.