Noobs xmaxx build.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought the truck to work today. The area I'm in today has a small skate park and some soccer fields. Probably gonna hit soccer fields haha. My bucket truck has a good inverter, so I can charge the batteries whenever.

Update. Session went well. Got about 20 minutes out of the batteries. Then what I assume is the voltage protection kicked in. They had a nice little dirt pile at the soccer field. Probably only got about 10ft of air (vertical) but it was a blast.

Attachments

• 20211007_130225.jpg
    20211007_130225.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211007_143809.jpg
    20211007_143809.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20211007_144029.jpg
    20211007_144029.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Brought the truck to work today. The area I'm in today has a small skate park and some soccer fields. Probably gonna hit soccer fields haha. My bucket truck has a good inverter, so I can charge the batteries whenever.

Update. Session went well. Got about 20 minutes out of the batteries. Then what I assume is the voltage protection kicked in. They had a nice little dirt pile at the soccer field. Probably only got about 10ft of air (vertical) but it was a blast.
Awesome!

That's awesome sounds fun. Yupper thats the LVC red light and the other is temp thermal shutdown. Did the kit come with the Bluetooth module? Also do you have a volt Meter? If not suggest getting one soon nothing special. The VXL 8s LVC is set to 3.4 from traxxas. And it can't be changed. Definitely need a volt checker. So you don't damage any lipos. One or the other blue one does a little more then the black one. Both read the volts. Left in lipo or if lipos are charged or balanced rite a bunch of stuff but really should get one. There's a different types different prices....
16336481655934652491232200315218.jpg

That's awesome sounds fun. Yupper thats the LVC red light and the other is temp thermal shutdown. Did the kit come with the Bluetooth module? Also do you have a volt Meter? If not suggest getting one soon nothing special. The VXL 8s LVC is set to 3.4 from traxxas. And it can't be changed. Definitely need a volt checker. So you don't damage any lipos. One or the other blue one does a little more then the black one. Both read the volts. Left in lipo or if lipos are charged or balanced rite a bunch of stuff but really should get one. There's a different types different prices....View attachment 134598

I usually have 2-3 volt meters around me 😂😂. They're very important for what I do. My company won't buy water resistant ones, so I'm often ruining one because I have to chase shorts in the rain. Both batteries were at 14.2x, probably should have shut it down sooner. They're getting a storage charge now. I'm going to try and only balance charge them. On the balance charge mode, it goes up to 7a I think but I left it at 5a.

These are 5200mah batteries but I have some 9000mah ones on the way. I think some slightly higher rate springs would be helpful too. I'll probably bump up on the shock oil, but I like only changing one thing at a time when I comes to suspension stuff. I think I'll get one of those testers too.

I usually have 2-3 volt meters around me 😂😂. They're very important for what I do. My company won't buy water resistant ones, so I'm often ruining one because I have to chase shorts in the rain. Both batteries were at 14.2x, probably should have shut it down sooner. They're getting a storage charge now. I'm going to try and only balance charge them. On the balance charge mode, it goes up to 7a I think but I left it at 5a.

These are 5200mah batteries but I have some 9000mah ones on the way. I think some slightly higher rate springs would be helpful too. I'll probably bump up on the shock oil, but I like only changing one thing at a time when I comes to suspension stuff. I think I'll get one of those testers too.
14.2V would be about 3.5V/C and the LVC is set to shut off at 3.4V/C so it sounds like you did exactly what you should have done. Run it till LVC kicks in :)

Watch ESC and motor temps with those 9000mAh batteries. Since you'll get longer run times, heat may become more of an issue.

Yeah always balance charge them. 5200mah=5.2amp so 5amps is just fine. The 9000mah you just go as high as the charger will put out.. but like wolf said above watch your temps...

14.2V would be about 3.5V/C and the LVC is set to shut off at 3.4V/C so it sounds like you did exactly what you should have done. Run it till LVC kicks in :)

Watch ESC and motor temps with those 9000mAh batteries. Since you'll get longer run times, heat may become more of an issue.

That's understandable. I put my hand on everything, and it was warm but not crazy hot. But it wasn't very hot today. I think it was only mid 80s.

Yeah always balance charge them. 5200mah=5.2amp so 5amps is just fine. The 9000mah you just go as high as the charger will put out.. but like wolf said above watch your temps...

Run it till it dies! Jk jk. I'm really excited for future sessions!

More parts arrived yesterday. I'll have multiple spare arms now. Connectors, batteries etc. The batteries are about 310g heavier than the 5200 I was using. The rear shocks are definitely taking a beating. I'll probably order some spares or upgrades plus guards. I need to order some diff fluids too. I think the truck would be alot better with something heavier in the rear.

Attachments

• 20211008_214812.jpg
    20211008_214812.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211008_214858.jpg
    20211008_214858.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 49
Converted the connectors over to XT90. @Greywolf74, your tutorial video did help but I need to get a better iron instead of the POS from autozone I have 🤣. I messed up a few connectors, but that's a part of learning.

Attachments

• 20211009_220759.jpg
    20211009_220759.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 47
Well can't tell.. looks good man. What's the watts on the iron? You need atleast a 60w or higher.. or you can get decent soldering station. For under 50$ from Amazon. Look threw the threads there's info about soldering wands and stations.... looks good.. 👍

Converted the connectors over to XT90. @Greywolf74, your tutorial video did help but I need to get a better iron instead of the POS from autozone I have 🤣. I messed up a few connectors, but that's a part of learning
Yeah, having a good soldering station with proper tips really helps but there is are various learning curves to all the connectors.

If I were starting out again I would probably give THIS soldering/reflow combo station a shot. The reflow heat gun isnt a necessity but its nice to have, especially for heat shrink. It even comes with a selection of tips and some extras. I would not use the lead free solder that come with it though. Make sure you have some good 63/37 rosin core solder or at least 60/40.

If you want to buy a Name brand soldering station then Id look at THIS Hakko station or THIS Weller. Youll need to buy some additional tips and solder for these though, unless you already have some. you're definitely going to want at least a wide chisel tip to work with.

I have a X-tronic 3000. Model#3020
Works great 35$ off amazon
16338711269907232497840574499732.jpg

It's a 60w temp controll station. I run it at 7-750°. When soldering 12awg -8awg. And 6-650°. When soldering smaller 14awg and smaller

Well can't tell.. looks good man. What's the watts on the iron? You need atleast a 60w or higher.. or you can get decent soldering station. For under 50$ from Amazon. Look threw the threads there's info about soldering wands and stations.... looks good.. 👍

I'm pretty sure it's a lower wattage gun, I had some thinner solder and that made this easier. I'm normally just making straight splices (extending wires).

Yeah, having a good soldering station with proper tips really helps but there is are various learning curves to all the connectors.

If I were starting out again I would probably give THIS soldering/reflow combo station a shot. The reflow heat gun isnt a necessity but its nice to have, especially for heat shrink. It even comes with a selection of tips and some extras. I would not use the lead free solder that come with it though. Make sure you have some good 63/37 rosin core solder or at least 60/40.

If you want to buy a Name brand soldering station then Id look at THIS Hakko station or THIS Weller. Youll need to buy some additional tips and solder for these though, unless you already have some. you're definitely going to want at least a wide chisel tip to work with.

I was using 60/40 last night. A higher wattage and better tip would have made a huge difference lol. I'll give one of those a shot. Plus it'll be good to have a decent station for other projects.

I have diff fluids, a diff kit (in case there's bad gaskets), shock oils, threaded hinge pins and a few other things on the way. The losi LMT should be here in a few days and I'll be starting the teardown on the xmaxx. I may change the spur gear too. Depends on how the new batteries act. Going from 5200mah 50c, to 9000mah 100c.

I appreciate y'alls input! 😁

Edit. I need to find some better "helping hands" too.

I'm pretty sure it's a lower wattage gun, I had some thinner solder and that made this easier. I'm normally just making straight splices (extending wires).

I was using 60/40 last night. A higher wattage and better tip would have made a huge difference lol. I'll give one of those a shot. Plus it'll be good to have a decent station for other projects.

I have diff fluids, a diff kit (in case there's bad gaskets), shock oils, threaded hinge pins and a few other things on the way. The losi LMT should be here in a few days and I'll be starting the teardown on the xmaxx. I may change the spur gear too. Depends on how the new batteries act. Going from 5200mah 50c, to 9000mah 100c.

I appreciate y'alls input! 😁
You will definitely want to keep a eye on your esc temps... While you are running those bigger lipos.. The VXL really isn't that good of esc to begin with..might start to over heat on you. Just a heads up bud👍👍let us know how they work out

Back