Noob post, How to land on wheels?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarCraft

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so I've finally got all the bugs worked out of my revo took it out and drove aroud for a hr or two today then got the ramp out. hit the ramp three times at low speed and landed kinda awkward but still got it on the wheels. went at the ramp full WOT landed colling head first ofc and stripped the spur.

with that being said what is the best way to judge throttle control in the air, easyier to learn on big air jumps or small air jumps? do i hit the throttle while in the air no throttle half? thats where I'm lost as I've read thats its bad to be on throttle when you land.

I'd stick with smaller jumps first until you get the hang of controlling your truck in mid-air. You don't want to be under throttle upon landing as you're likely to tear stuff up. That said when you hit the jump during throttle you want to let off the throttle. You can control the truck while in air by giving it throttle to cause the front of the truck to go up (towards the sky) and apply break to bring the front of the truck down (toward the ground).

Smaller jumps won't give you much air time to practice this but will help save yourself from really tearing up the truck. Once you get the hang of controlling the truck in the air you'll be able to handle the bigger jumps with ease.

it does take some practice like Woodie said, but once you get the hang of it you'll be surprised how often you can make it land on it wheels even if you get the thing vertical.

yeah, it takes a lot of practice. I used small jumps to learn, and if u have the right sizre jump, u can usually just keep the throttle down. it works for me. imo, a mt { like the revo} is eaiser to learn on than a truggy/buggy. so u made a good choice picking an mt.

cool thanks guys!

One thing to note the tires and wheels you have on the truck play a big part in how much you can adjust the level of the truck using the throttle and brake

how are the stock wheels on the revo for air control, should i wait till i replace to something else until i start to "learn how to fly"?

P.S is it common to always strip spurs when i land on the lid? seems whenever i dont ail the landing or do a flip onto the lid the spur melts yet if I'm not jumping my spur will last untill i change it or start jumping. perhaps too tight of a slipper or something?

I can't answer the first part of your question but my reply to the second part is "I've never let stock tires stop me from grabbing some air." :)

how are the stock wheels on the revo for air control, should i wait till i replace to something else until i start to "learn how to fly"?

P.S is it common to always strip spurs when i land on the lid? seems whenever i dont ail the landing or do a flip onto the lid the spur melts yet if I'm not jumping my spur will last untill i change it or start jumping. perhaps too tight of a slipper or something?
My comment was just to let you know that different tires will react differently in the air. So if you change tire styles you can expect different results in the air. When I first started jumping I got really good at controlling my truck in the air. I changed tires and couldn't land for nothing until I learned the new set of tires. For instance when I went from similar to stock tire to a set of Big Joes which are a lot wider. The revo reacts much more aggressively in the air. (a lot more responsive to throttle and brake input)
There are also a few threads in some of the forums about setting up your revo to jump better. Google shock setup for jumping revo and you'll find them.
Other wise just keep practicing and have a good time!

As far as melting your spur gears I would recommend getting a RRP 3rd gen spur and slipper set they are virtually indestructible!
otherwise yes your slipper is more than likely to tight.
Good luck and have FUN! :)

Back