NJ laws on flying R/C planes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might be a question for the city or county offices bud.

If you make sure there are no posted warnings prohibiting RC use, and you can find an area that is not near others, and can safely fly without worrying about doing damage to people or property in case of a mishap, I would say give it a try. It only takes one complaint to shut you down. It's best to be courteous and compliant when in public spaces. Chances are if it is not permitted you will be asked to leave.

I am in the same boat as you, I prefer not to join a club. If possible I prefer to fly with one or two buddies, easier to keep an eye out for problems and obstacles.

The spot you are looking at looks ideal, if you can find off hours when it's not busy. Be aware of people with dogs, they like to chase planes (the dogs, not the people!) 🤣 and also watch for the dreaded dog mines in your landing area.

If you make sure there are no posted warnings prohibiting RC use, and you can find an area that is not near others, and can safely fly without worrying about doing damage to people or property in case of a mishap, I would say give it a try. It only takes one complaint to shut you down. It's best to be courteous and compliant when in public spaces. Chances are if it is not permitted you will be asked to leave.

I am in the same boat as you, I prefer not to join a club. If possible I prefer to fly with one or two buddies, easier to keep an eye out for problems and obstacles.

The spot you are looking at looks ideal, if you can find off hours when it's not busy. Be aware of people with dogs, they like to chase planes (the dogs, not the people!) 🤣 and also watch for the dreaded dog mines in your landing area.
thanks ill give it a try. worst case is i get kicked out and join a club

thanks ill give it a try. worst case is i get kicked out and join a club
Nope, worst case, they taze you, send you to jail, and set bail at one billion dollars to make an example of you, just sayin' 🤔 🤣

I agree with @Doom! (for once!). I would treat this as a better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. When I briefly flew, and each of my flying session was brief due to me being an awful pilot, I have always come across non rc people who were more interested in briefly watching the planes rather than finding it annoying or menacing. I'm betting a majority of people you come across don't even know that flying rc in public areas is prohibited within the state. Just my 2 cents.

ignorance of the Law .your still Guilty of charges. inquire ask find out b4.. seen a gut in a city near me lose all his on hand rc gear when he drove his rc down his city street ..

The closest club to me that I'm aware of is in Nampa Idaho which is just about a hour from me. The drive wouldn't be bad at all but the cost they want to join, not to mention you have to be approved by a club leader or a holder of some pilot certificate, "not sure what what is".
I flew mine out at the sand dunes.
I wouldn't mind a park flyer however because there is a soccer complex a block from me that you never see anybody there except for games.

Back