Nitro XRC engine swap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny361

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks for having me here. I have a nitro xrc and would like to swap the motor for something more powerful. Just wondering what is compatible ( ie - mounting holes....shaft length...) Also what is reliable. Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to RCNT!!!:welcome_sign:
What is the actual model that you have? The # would be most helpful but is it a buggy, MT, on road...? What scale? What engine does it currently have? All info you can provide will help to identify your rig and then to help with some ideas to pick it up a little bit.

Hello and welcome to RCNT!!!:welcome_sign:
What is the actual model that you have? The # would be most helpful but is it a buggy, MT, on road...? What scale? What engine does it currently have? All info you can provide will help to identify your rig and then to help with some ideas to pick it up a little bit.
Its a revolution mt

Its a revolution mt
It is stock toki motor

Its a revolution mt

It is stock toki motor

Its a revolution mt

It is stock toki motor
The measurements for mounting and shaft lenght are what needs to work

Attachments

• IMG_20170702_171824880.jpg
    IMG_20170702_171824880.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20170702_171643182.jpg
    IMG_20170702_171643182.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Ok. Before we get into the engine swaps etc, I have to ask... Are you familiar with where this kit sits in comparison to the competition? The reason I ask is because, (forgive me for being blunt) this is pretty much one of the cheapest grade of kit out there. When you get into increased power in an rc, a few things happen... First, you are going to need to upgrade the gearing to handle the new power as well as to take advantage of the new power. Just putting in a new engine isn't going to make you happy... Ratio changes go hand in hand so to speak. I have looked around Google, quickly but was unable to find upgrade/hop up parts for these kits at all...
That leads me to part 2...
Aside from the gearing, you are going to need to upgrade your driveline... Stronger axle shafts and drive shafts are almost a guaranteed minimum. There is a good chance that there is more as well... I don't mean to burst your bubble here... You have a kits that is a good kit to learn on but I recommend in all honesty that any money you want to put into this kit would be much better saved and invested in a kit that is of better quality. Good name, established and has all the upgrades you'll want or need. In the long run, I will 100% guarantee a smarter investment leading to a much happier (you) owner, operater, racer, basher etc!!! :thumbs-up:
Use this kit for what it is best at... An excellent learning kit. Learn nitro and learn to drive. Enjoy it, just don't start throwing money into a kit that can't pay you back.

How long have you owned this? Have you gone thru and completed the break in process?

Last edited:
Ok. Before we get into the engine swaps etc, I have to ask... Are you familiar with where this kit sits in comparison to the competition? The reason I ask is because, (forgive me for being blunt) this is pretty much one of the cheapest grade of kit out there. When you get into increased power in an rc, a few things happen... First, you are going to need to upgrade the gearing to handle the new power as well as to take advantage of the new power. Just putting in a new engine isn't going to make you happy... Ratio changes go hand in hand so to speak. I have looked around Google, quickly but was unable to find upgrade/hop up parts for these kits at all...
That leads me to part 2...
Aside from the gearing, you are going to need to upgrade your driveline... Stronger axle shafts and drive shafts are almost a guaranteed minimum. There is a good chance that there is more as well... I don't mean to burst your bubble here... You have a kits that is a good kit to learn on but I recommend in all honesty that any money you want to put into this kit would be much better saved and invested in a kit that is of better quality. Good name, established and has all the upgrades you'll want or need. In the long run, I will 100% guarantee a smarter investment leading to a much happier (you) owner, operater, racer, basher etc!!! :thumbs-up:
Use this kit for what it is best at... An excellent learning kit. Learn nitro and learn to drive. Enjoy it, just don't start throwing money into a kit that can't pay you back.

How long have you owned this? Have you gone thru and completed the break in process?
I do realize that. I've had it for 7 years with no problems until the starter mount is stripped and not worth fixing on an old motor. I guess my thinking was a motor change and I could always use the motor for something else if this doesn't last. Parts change doesn't make sense if it craps out cause I can't carry the investment into another project

Right! Ok. As long as you know where you're at with the kit. I was young and naive way back when... I had a Tamiya Hornet that I invested WAY TOO MUCH into! While I don't blame the shop owner, it would have been nice if at some point he had kind of guided me towards an RC10 or the Kyosho Optima. Both of which I purchased not much later... It was after I had spent a little time at the track and reality saw the differences in the kits. From that point, my eyes were open! (I did NOT buy either kit, nor did I purchase much else from said hobby shop after that. I guess I was bitter... LOL!
While I am not 100% sure, it appears that you have a SG shaft on that engine. I would DEF ask that someone verify that with me here tho as I am NOT positive about this info. It looks like that crank has a pilot shaft that unscrews leaving a threaded shaft. THAT is where most of your engine fitment issues will come in as concerns. Its common practice to cut the threaded portion down where needed in order to accommodate. I believe all small block mounting patterns to be about the same. As far as I can tell, your revolution was built with a small block engine. Quite frankly, I imagine a big block would be dangerous to the target market Hasbro has in mind with this kit. Aside from thay, I believe a big block would tear this truck in half!

Ahhh... Neglected to mention the exhaust location and type as well! VERY important when working on fitment!!! ;)

Ahhh... Neglected to mention the exhaust location and type as well! VERY important when working on fitment!!! ;)
I don't know what the exhaust is on it....I would probably buy the recommended exhaust with the new motor.....but here is a pic of it

Attachments

• IMG_20170703_143352646.jpg
    IMG_20170703_143352646.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 256
Well, thats the thing... An engine manufacturer may design an engine with a specific kit in mind... OS did that with one of their .21 engines and a tmaxx if I remember correctly. They were available with exhaust for top end and for torque, again, if I remember correctly. At any rate, because this was available for the tmax does not mean that it would fit my RC10GT at all. It's not quite as simple as just ordering the factory pipe for the engine you're purchasing.

Well, looking at the truck, it appears to be a cheap "get into nitro" kind of rig where they took a typical electric "toy" and put a nitro engine on it where it would fit. After all, pretty sure Hasbro was making it, or at least marketing it.

Pretty much every "hobby grade" nitro rig has an aluminum chassis deck. I'm not sure if this is for strength/weight to combat vibration or if it's primary that way to wick away heat.

I'm not dissing you for what you have, just explaining that it's a bit unique and finding "hobby grade" parts to bolt onto it could be a bit of a pain.

Looking at it, it appears to be a relatively standard rotary carb, side exhaust small block. 10-15 years ago, you could find 20 engines that would fit the bill for fairly cheap. The exhaust port bolt holes look really wide though, compared to "standard", but I may just be off on what I'm used to seeing. So, something like this may work:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-1-10-.12-onroad-nitro-engine-pull-start-asc2912/p585108

You may have to figure out a flywheel/clutch though. I don't see that in your photo's and for the life of me, I can't find a manual or anything for your rig.

I understand wanting to kick this thing up a notch or 2, I really do, but this just isn't a feasible option imo. Even to have the engine around as an upgrade to something else down the road...
You've had this rig for 7 years. This is a VERY beginner's rig. You have simply outgrown it. Buy a new one! ITS TIME!!!

Thank you everyone for your input......I may take the car into a hobby store to see if there is something inexpensive to do with it. I'm in the country and those stores are over an hour away. I would love a new rig but its alot more $ for a a decent one.Lots to consider.....and again thanx for all the feedback. olds97....it is plastic frame. the clutch is good just a matter of if it will be compatible on another shaft.

Hi johnny361. I understand your $ concerns and honestly I feel you so here is my offer and possibly a group project for members here. I'd like to donate parts from my 2.5 Tmaxx to you. I have everything except the motor, chassis (I just can't find it for some reason), electronics like servos, possibly throttle/brake linkage(got to double check)RX and TX, shock towers(got to double check). All you got to do is pay for shipping. If the other members can get into the spirit of giving and donate some parts to help you that would be great. I was going to build it and sell it on EBay but after checking out what they go for I think I'd end up upside down on the sale so I'd rather have it go to some1 who will benefit and appreciate it the most. Let me know if you're interested.

That's a very generous offer @DXtreme1 !!! I haven't got much in the way to match but I'm sure there are a few folks here who may have misc parts kicking around as well. I don't own a tmaxx.

I just feel like Johnny361 has the passion and drive so I just felt like I needed to step up and offer something that was within my capacity to help out. I wished I had a complete set to give him but the servos I have are not working or else I would give those as well. They're just in storage and it's no use to me so if I can help some1in a situation like his I figured it was the best opportunity to put these parts to good use.

My 'extra' servos are stored away too... BUT they are OLD futaba parts... From the old twin stick days! :hehe:

Too bad you didn't have a revo... I have a crapton of stock parts sitting a drawer. I've bought 2 revo's used and replaced all arms and whatnot with aftermarket stuff.

Too bad you didn't have a revo... I have a crapton of stock parts sitting a drawer. I've bought 2 revo's used and replaced all arms and whatnot with aftermarket stuff.
Thank you DXtreme for that generous offer....I have recently purchased a 8ight losi truggy with a .28 dynamite engine so I have given up in trying to make something work for a unknown. Love the new wheels....so far they run great

Attachments

• IMG_20170707_185255090.jpg
    IMG_20170707_185255090.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 254
Congratulations and great choice. I myself will be sporting a TLR Losi 8ight buggy 4.0 eventually. What version did u get?

I'm so happy to hear that you upgraded! I KNOW you'll be so much happier running the '8'!!! That is definitely a rig I would recommend sinking some money into when it's time! Congrats!!!:thumbs-up:

Back