Nitro vs electric: pro/con

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that is cool, yeah my neighbors a horrible and yes they are to quick to call the police but hey, what ever makes them happy, its not like I am try to make them mad just trying to have a little fun, society is slowing taking the fun out of everything. Oh yeah!! I almost forgot something small and insignificant almost like the guy that had the nerve to post the rude reply. Yes my neighbor is a douche bag but the funny thing is he knows he is and often flips me off but we have a very good neighbor relationship. I thought this forum was for mature and civilized adults to chat about our great hobby. I guess I will chose my forums more wisely.

Wow that is cool, yeah my neighbors a horrible and yes they are to quick to call the police but hey, what ever makes them happy, its not like I am try to make them mad just trying to have a little fun, society is slowing taking the fun out of everything. Oh yeah!! I almost forgot something small and insignificant almost like the guy that had the nerve to post the rude reply. Yes my neighbor is a douche bag but the funny thing is he knows he is and often flips me off but we have a very good neighbor relationship. I thought this forum was for mature and civilized adults to chat about our great hobby. I guess I will chose my forums more wisely.

This is one of the best forums on the net. We try and help everyone; including the neighbors of hobbyists that are inconsiderate. I live in a town with noise statutes and have never been cited or warned and run even my noisiest rigs with no problems and have even had the local law enforcement come and observe when they were bored.

I thought this forum was for mature and civilized adults to chat about our great hobby. I guess I will chose my forums more wisely.

It is. "Mature and civilized adults" do not run their nitro RCs where it is explicitly prohibited, or deliberately aggravate their neighbors in a way that makes all enthusiasts look bad.

You wanna see an ordinance adopted in your town that prohibits the use of nitro RC in public areas? Keep it up. Because the severely annoyed neighbor is just the kind of person who will make that happen, and you will ruin it for everyone else who was actually cognizant of the irritating noise and took measures to avoid bothering people with it.

It's always 1% ruining it for everyone else. We used to be able to shoot in a much larger part of our national forests, but a few @$$holes putting bullets through signs & pump houses, cutting down trees, etc caused a new policy that shut a lot of those public lands down to the rest of us who had always been careful and respectful.

I degrease and power wash the engines top to bottom on my 1:1 cars regularly, too.
So I recently started using KalGuard on my nitros. Have you (or anyone reading this) tried it? I just got the Prep-n-Shine. It says not to use on Lexan bodies....but I tried it and it worked fine. ? One guy at out track says he uses that de-greases pretty much everywhere then blows it off with compressed air. Then uses that P&S and wipes it on. I can say that P&S restored some black wings we have making them looking better than new. I'll try to post up some pics, but so far...wow

Maybe you need to take a closer look through this forum, halve the people around here are like family and have given and received help in more than just rc related stuff!...its your own actions that are causing you the grief pal,....you explicitly said that you run your nitro and do not care if other people around you have a problem, secondly you said that you run your nitro in restricted areas, then have the audacity to bitch about getting a ticket from a guy who is just doing his job "park ranger"...nothing for nothing but you should just take all this in and wise up a bit man

Thats what I am saying, there already is an ordinance here, so basicly you have to go outside of the city limits to run them or in the mountains. Besides that fact that these are toys and not off road vehicles like dirt bikes are quads is very frustrating. Yesterday I went to the city hall and asked for a list of areas in the city in which i could drive my trucks as well as all of the other people that have nitro RC's. We are putting together a group of guys that are well off and are going to buy a large piece of land and turn it into an RC park, not so much racing but Hills for climbing and all other types of challenging terrain. You know people's actions on the internet do not always depict how they really are, I have been in this hobby since 1980. I love this hobby and going from back then to now in our city is very difficult to have nitro rc's. I apologize if I came off as cocky as I did. I vent sometimes like every other guy. Thank you for the eye opener as a hobby enthusiast. Everyone that has taken offence to my actions please have a good night.

---------- Post added at 7:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:22 PM ----------

Is there any preference to what type like truck or buggy, and would it be nitro or electric, I would stick to Losi, Associated, or Traxxas. I had a Tmaxx with an O.S. .18 cv-r and it ran stronger for years.

You guys are all forgetting a very important part of nitro! You can add any scale nitro to your fleet of toys for a much lower cost than electric, no matter how big or small the fleet already is. With electric, you need a bank of batteries for that vehicle in order to run for any real length of time, and unless you already have that stockpile in the right size you're out of luck.

You guys are all forgetting a very important part of nitro! You can add any scale nitro to your fleet of toys for a much lower cost than electric, no matter how big or small the fleet already is. With electric, you need a bank of batteries for that vehicle in order to run for any real length of time, and unless you already have that stockpile in the right size you're out of luck.

Cost is irrelevant actually. Electric guys pay up front in the form of batteries that will last many years if properly maintained. Nitro guys pay as they go buying fuel, in the end it's likely a wash. Also if you have multiple rigs that can run the same batteries (as I do), then you really only need one type of pack, making it easy to really cut that cost.

As mentioned, reliability is all in how the rig is operated and maintained. There is nothing about nitro rigs that's makes them inherently unreliable, but abuse and poor maintenance will make anything unreliable, nitro or electric.

Not forgotten, just already covered on page 1 as seen above. :D

Thats what I am saying, there already is an ordinance here, so basicly you have to go outside of the city limits to run them or in the mountains. Besides that fact that these are toys and not off road vehicles like dirt bikes are quads is very frustrating. Yesterday I went to the city hall and asked for a list of areas in the city in which i could drive my trucks as well as all of the other people that have nitro RC's. We are putting together a group of guys that are well off and are going to buy a large piece of land and turn it into an RC park, not so much racing but Hills for climbing and all other types of challenging terrain. You know people's actions on the internet do not always depict how they really are, I have been in this hobby since 1980. I love this hobby and going from back then to now in our city is very difficult to have nitro rc's. I apologize if I came off as cocky as I did. I vent sometimes like every other guy. Thank you for the eye opener as a hobby enthusiast. Everyone that has taken offence to my actions please have a good night.

---------- Post added at 7:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:22 PM ----------

Is there any preference to what type like truck or buggy, and would it be nitro or electric, I would stick to Losi, Associated, or Traxxas. I had a Tmaxx with an O.S. .18 cv-r and it ran stronger for years.

You're fine. You just gave your opinion on here and a few lashed out at you a little stronger than I personally think you deserved. Now,...I am a little perplexed at your neighbor flipping you off 'but we have a good relationship', but whatever. ;-) Keep giving your opinion, man. I'd be disappointed too if any of my neighbors called the police because I was running my nitro vehicles on the street during reasonable times--and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this is the case. Laws vary from place to place and if you are simply trying to be a nuisance that's one thing...but I did not glean that from your post. Negligence is one thing...malice is another. So does the law in your area specifically mention 'rc vehicles' or what is it you are not allowed to do?

Anway - don;t let anyone run you off on here. If you've got value add then c'mon! What are you driving now?

Last edited:
Right now I have 5 1/8th scale trucks. A CEN 7.7 Nemesis, Duratrax Warhead Evo, Lst Xxl, Lst2, and an X1CRT. All of these trucks have been brought back to life except for the XXL, when I had to sell my previous collection to pay rent and support my family after a bitter lay off, my wife bought me the LST XXL. Then I did he craigslist bartering for a year and found the 4 trucks I missed out of the 25 I had before. It's kind of funny but I even sneak one if my trucks to work so I can run it at lunch. What rigs are you driving.

What rigs are you driving.
My profile shows our current fleet. I'm a newbie...not a 'guru' like most of you one here, but I do try to learn what I can each day, and I take a no-nonsense approach to things I'm passionate about. This hobby is one them. ;-)

You have some really nice rides. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. I'm mostly into anything that runs off nitro.

You have some really nice rides. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. I'm mostly into anything that runs off nitro.

Awesome, I appreciate it. Yeah, nitro is where it's at for sure.

RC Guru...what's in a name really? Technically, even though I've been in this hobby for 15 years, I'm NOT an experienced RC driver.
I can build them, I can tune them, I can modify them but to this day I can't drive them for sh*t.
I believe there should be a classification between "I'm new to RC " and "experienced RC driver" such as RC enthusiast. That's what I am.

To answer the Nitro vs electric: pro/con question...You should own one of each. Then you have the best of both worlds and
find your own conclusion as to what is best. I have found they compliment each other nicely.

Last edited:
Shhhh. Don't make the guru mad!

Yeah, Rolex is always a bit testy when you wake him unexpectedly. =devil

Poking a hibernating Grizzly bear with a stick , testy? or worse?

HEY! Get off my lawn! I'm trying to sleep!

get-the-f-off-my-lawn.jpg