Nitro rustler accelerates on start up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Non.fixcion89

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just got my nitro rustler for Christmas it's brand new but I'm having issues. Basically went to start her up after reading through the instructions (had the car on a paint can so it wouldn't run off on me) and once it starts it revs really high and the back wheels start spinning 😳 without me even applying the throttle. Don't want to mess it up so I turned car off and now I'm asking you guys what you think it is. Please help!!

Attachments

• 20211225_110751.jpg
    20211225_110751.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20211225_110814.jpg
    20211225_110814.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211225_110819.jpg
    20211225_110819.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 75
Make sure the throttle trim on the radio is set to zero and make sure the low speed needle, high speed needle, and idle screw are set to factory defaults.

Your idle gap is way too big in the carb. As stated above make sure your throttle trim is set correctly, most likely your problem as your factory needle settings should be set rich, but always good to double check. Try and get that idle gap to close via your throttle trim in your radio.

Make sure the throttle trim on the radio is set to zero and make sure the low speed needle, high speed needle, and idle screw are set to factory defaults.
Here is my radio and I don't see throttle trim anywhere on it. Just steering trim and another knob labeled multi function
Your idle gap is way too big in the carb. As stated above make sure your throttle trim is set correctly, most likely your problem as your factory needle settings should be set rich, but always good to double check. Try and get that idle gap to close via your throttle trim in your radio.
Got it. Adjusted idle needle and and it starts right up and doesent run off on me. Just put my first tank of gas thru it. Thanks all!!

Attachments

• 20211226_112403.jpg
    20211226_112403.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 53
Glad you got it working man! Still weird I don’t see a throttle trim. Not really familiar with modern traxxas radios. Good luck with break in and ask any questions you have along the way. Oddly enough, breaking in engines is one of the most satisfying parts of the RC hobby for me.

Glad you got it working man! Still weird I don’t see a throttle trim. Not really familiar with modern traxxas radios. Good luck with break in and ask any questions you have along the way. Oddly enough, breaking in engines is one of the most satisfying parts of the RC hobby for me.
Some of the Traxxas radios have it and some dont.

Some of the Traxxas radios have it and some dont.
We just went through some Traxxas stuff, attempting to upgrade. As far as I can tell you must have a TQi radio and the Traxxas Link bluetooth add-on in order to set the "multi-function" knob to serve as the throttle trim. All the relatively standard settings are locked behind a fairly annoying morse code tappy-tap routine on Traxxas remotes. The only work around that I've found is to use the app, which should be compatible with both the 3 and 4 channel TQi transmitters once you buy the $40 dollar bluetooth thing.

By default the "multi-function" knob is going to turn your Traxxas Stability Control up or down. With the app you can set more stuff, but what can be set depends on which receiver, telemetry, or lights are installed.

How could you wait so long and not try it out earlier? :)
Very patient man!
Good luck, its a great tuck!