Nitro Power being exterminated slowly.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i doubt that nitro is going anywhere. i started out on nitro and moved on to electric and now 1/5th gas. but nothing compairs to nitro and i was thinking about getting back in to nitro. i think most people that try nitro never get it out of there blood because it is more than just grabing your rig and going to drive it around. nitro gives you some kind of satisfaction of getting that perfect tune and knowing how to fix and trouble shoot problems that come with running nitro. in my opinion nitro is still king. running nitro makes you feel like a man instead of a boy.:hehe:

i feel if you truly enjoy radio control cars as a hobby you should own both electric and nitro. in the winter months i race indoor so it is electric only. at night i can plug in my savage flux and bash silently with massive 6s power in my backyard and not have my neighbors go nuts. in the summer months i will be racing outdoors with my mbx6t truggy powered by a werks b5 engine and 30% nitro. i own both electric and nitro versions of tmaxx, savages and rc8's. its all fun, no need to choose sides.

on another note, you wanted to punch him? in the face? over toy hobby car talk and opinions? i hope this was a figure of speech.

i feel if you truly enjoy radio control cars as a hobby you should own both electric and nitro. in the winter months i race indoor so it is electric only. at night i can plug in my savage flux and bash silently with massive 6s power in my backyard and not have my neighbors go nuts. in the summer months i will be racing outdoors with my mbx6t truggy powered by a werks b5 engine and 30% nitro. i own both electric and nitro versions of tmaxx, savages and rc8's. its all fun, no need to choose sides.

on another note, you wanted to punch him? in the face? over toy hobby car talk and opinions? i hope this was a figure of speech.

dont get me wrong i love my brushless trucks but nitro is just a different beast.

I tried the electric because everyone was like its the trig and berries, well for me it just wasn't. Believe me I enjoy the hobby I currently have 2 projects going right now, both nitro. I also own around 30 rigs all together the only electric left that I own is a Losi mini T, so I have something to run in the house during the winter. I do not say this to anger the electric guys I just think for me electric rigs are boring. And upon owning both you break the electrics just as much as nitro if you are truely bashing them.:D

i started out on this hobby listening to an older guy tell me about his park flying days in nitro planes... after a while the conversation turned to what would be ideal for a beginner
he told me he converted to electric as it was lighter and quicker... i couldnt get the image of those toyo rc cars that they sell for children and i was like how can electric be faster than petrol (at the time i didnt know nitromethane was used for rc) he told me no there brushless they go much faster nowdays. so he had me sold on electric torque on tap. i went to the park and i had to admit there were some nice fast flying electrics just shootin through the air while these bigger nitros were sitting on the ground gettin the one over, tuned and revvin on the ground... and pretty soon my eyes were glued to the all the planes idling on the grass like ww2 fighter planes waitin to chocks away and taxi off. now these planes weren't even in the air but they were all i had eyes for. the electrics while fast and nimble were just making noises that didn't befit the planes it looked too artifical without passion. while these iconic pd51s were kickin out smoke and actually making the exact noises you hear in films i thought to myself these things are so good you could actually record a ww2 film and use these as stock footage and noone could tell with noise like that.
i decided to get a car in the end as i didnt want to fork out for insurance

so i got the hpi rs4 evo and i never stop getting the kick out of it that i do when the engine is screaming in a straight line towards me with the whine building to a crescendo- to rapidly decreasing and change pitch as the car passes me by and continues screaming off into the distance with a blue stream of smoke getting whipped into the wake of it's own path.
I've always said ill own an electric just to be knowledgeable about both worlds but every time the oppourtunity presents itself i just find myself coming home with another nitro...
i can't help it i just love the smell and the plumbing and all those little things you find inside the transmission that make you go awwh thats really clever how they did that as you figure out in your minds eye how the parts interact with each other.
even though nitro is not suited for drifting i refuse to quit trying to perfect my skill at it and just switch to electric without the scream and smoke all i will hear is the crunch of the stray gravel.
my first time attempting to drift
how can you not just love nitro

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the hobby from the first time I saw it and that first one was a nitro it had me from hello lol never got one as a kid tho a year ago I bought my first nitro rc now have a firesorm a tmaxx 2.5 and a revo 3.3
I've driven elctrics bashing around on the military vase I live by but to me they were just boring there was nothing to them nothing against them they are downright faster than nitro stock vs stock but nothing beats that sound of nitro running and the raw power of it gona stick with my nitros for life I no my 3 year olds face will light up when he gets old enough and I give him his first car

Awesome story! I'm 43 and had a couple nitros earlier growing up! I to am nitro freaked! I got a mgt 8.0 & this BEAST is a long time pic of mine. Glad i got it, break-in challenge, a lil parts swapping, & now she's back in tip-top shape ready to wake up my neighbor!!! Let's hear it for all the NITRO JUNKIES!!!

NITRO FOREVER MAN!!! I have been thinking about getting a Traxxas Grave Digger for my son. I don't think Nitro will be completely exterminated though. It will just take something new to bring it back into the spotlight. :D

well said...but on the other hand, i could care less what my neighbors say when i run my nitros only because the numerous times they have kept me up with there all night parties an bbq's. :D

When I take my nitro out people all over the neighborhood come out and join hand in hand, women children dads going through a mid life crisis, to enjoy the sheer awesomeness of a nitro rc.

Take my electric out..... crickets is the only thing you hear...

I don't think nitro will ever go away, prime example is a nitro savage running faster than a flux. Sure it's setup for speed but the same can be said for any RC running over 50-60mph. It just goes to show its still very much alive. However the lhs salesman will sell you the latest and greatest and thats bl. Most beginners want something plug and go and those that choose nitro often give up becsuse the guy behind the counter is a joke and couldnt tune a motor to save his life. Not to forget the insane price they charge to basically set your needles back to stock breakin. There have been many times I wanted to step in and tell the hobby town manager he's full of crap when describing nitro to a customer. If I would have I garantee I would have been thrown out lol If word could get out about these forums more people would stay in the hobby or stay with there first choice for RC.

IMO you can't beat the sight, sound, and smell of nitro, BL is just to quiet and radio shack feelin.

Modded motors have really changed the game in terms of power output in today's nitro engines.

Dido nitro brothern. :D This is what my face looked like when I fired up my first electric rig that was brushless:\ boring.

I have 21 ground based models of various sizes. Yes I will say brushless is fast and easy (instant gratification) but sometimes the little bit of work that goes with it is half the fun. It brought my dad and I together after a lot of years just to mess around with them and tinker and do stupid stuff with them. That is what it's about. To me electric is the microwave food or RC's. Sure it gets rid of a the craving a little but to really satisfy I need nitro.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first real RC was back in 1986. A Tamiya Blackfoot or something like that. Battery powered. Back then batteries lasted all of 5 minutes and took all night to charge. On top of that, back then I remember paying upwards of $75 bucks per battery. So they got boring prety quick, and I didnt last long and I got out of the hobby after a few years.

Fast forward and I got into nitro. All was good for quite a while until life matters got in the way and I fell away from the hobby again. Then I fell head over heels for the Baja 5B SS and messed with that for a while and decided that it was just to big and loud and was having a hard time finding places to run the beast. I switched to electrics again and got educated on lipo's and had fun with them, but still missed a real engine.

So now completely bored with winter and snow, I gave in and ordered a Slayer 4x4 and with some new tires, offset wheels, hub adapters and a bunch of spare Revo parts, will be converting it into MT in the next few weeks. I can't wait to smell burning nitro again :)

Nitro aint dead, its just been on vacation :hehe:

Same here I started with a gold Tub AE RC10 in 88-89? I had a 12 turn Mod motor and the huge 1500 Mah Nicad packs! I had a speed charger that had no cut off just a timer so you would hold your hand on it until it got good and warm then you knew it was done. Had to use a light bulb bar to fully discharge them.... man that was a pain too! Nitro will always have it's nitch. We are in the world the CD's are going away and nearly all movies are Bluray but there is stil vinyl records being made because people still want them.

I started off with electric . . . brushed, then brushless, then lipo . . great power and torque, clean, quiet, no fuss, no tuning - quickly got bored of that!

Went to nitro, and sold my electric - never looked back!

Half the hobby is the tinkering - and blokes love noise - nitro will never die - well not until the invent something that makes more noise and makes more power!

Last edited:
I Love Nitro Rig's My LHS... I take notice to though has alot of Electric Rig's in stock & just a few of Nitro's in Stock... But I havent been in the R/C section of the shop lately because my DAD built a huge model Railroad in our basement 20 ft long x 7 ft wide.. So I have been spending alot of time in the HO Train's section & it's funny the R/C guy "Seth" that I norm deal with said to me HEY what are you doing in that section... Sorry guys dident mean to get off point..... On any given day thers alot of electric Rigs on the shelf's.. In the warmer months in PA the shop stocks 2 T-MAXX's / 2 Nitro Pede's / 2 Slayers in the Traxxas lineup & HPI Savages go like hotcakes on a sunday morning breakfast I tried buying a savage last summer I called up the HS thay had 1 left buy the time I go there 25 mins later it was SOLD I actually seen the guy putting it into his car "CRAP" So I might order a savage from Towerhobbies in april & thats if I can save enough for it with is hard to do with my new hobby LOL