Nitro Power being exterminated slowly.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres nothing better than the sound and smell of nitro. I have been addicted since I was 16 when I bought a nitro sport knowing nothing about the hobby and I for one will never go electric

I was the other way around, started off with elec years ago, got back into the hobby and i went straight for the nitro and wont be looking back!

You know today we got back in from NC, the trip that spawned this thread. I didn't sleep last night because I wanted to get home to break my new SC10GT (and it's AWEsome) in, all the way home my wife and her friend wanted me to stop at every little town in between. I did, but i stay in the truck getting to know everything about my new nitro. It drove me crazy but I was patient and tried not to show my distress. When we hit the driveway my wife told me to go play, I know it's been killing you, but thanks! See my wife knows the other 13 women in my life... All their names end in Nitro. My wife was with me one day when I went to a buddies house to see his new crawler track/scenery..."this sucks, why are they so slow, why can't you hear them? Haha classic, its a family thing. Our son must be adopted due to hs electric passion!:p:

While I respect the instant standing backflip power of the Lipo/Brushless trucks they are kind of boring.

I guess you can blame it on the gearhead majority of me but after seeing & running a couple of brushless trucks I know it will be only nitro for me.

As to that fool sales jerk, some of the electric guys I run with break 10x the parts then I do, mostly due to the stupid on tap BL/Lipo power.:p::)

So true! My son has become a solder master!

the sound gets the attention guess you guys are right people go the lazy way the guys pushing electric probably have never even done a oil change on their own car

I will always recommend an electric to start with and then when they are comfortable, then, I will suggest nitro. I run nitro, gas and electric. They are all aspects of the hobby.

^^ Agreed! Electrics are a great way to start out in this wonderful hobby. With the quick start up and ease of use of an electric, hobbyist's do not have to worry about trying to start and tune a nitro, which can be very frustrating at times. Eventually they will work there way up to a nitro, something more challenging but also more rewarding in the end.

Its sad how much electric is taking over, I'm a nitro purist.. I mean ill buy an electric for screwing around in the driveway but for serious bashing nitro is like no other.

I see people always complaining about nitro and they are the type of people that are germaphobes and scared of getting a pinch of dirt on their hands..

Nitro in my opinion is the essence of this hobby, and also just makes it 10 times more fun hearing it wined out just can put a smile on anyones face. Like some others said on here.. there are people that just arent mechanically inclined and dont have patience.. but for someone like me and some of you. Thats the main reason we choose nitro, the fact that your literally working on an internal combustion engine that has to be maintained and tuned and upgraded to your liking. This is what keeps us going and inspires us to be dedicated to stay true to nitro and maybe be able to convert some people while doing so !

for about the 8 years I've been into this hobby seriously I've only ran nitro. The transfer from electric to nitro was some of the best moments of my life. I still remember the exact day i got my first nitro and the store manager taking me out back and showing me the basics. i was so excited to jump in and learned this whole truck from front to back top to bottom. and ultimately because of going nitro so long ago i feel that its what has kept me in this hobby. If i would have just stayed electric i think id of gotten tired of the hobby in general and just looked for another hobby. And even though electric is most likely the future and out perform the nitro cars/trucks.. ill still be supporting the nitro habit and inspire as many people as i can to try it out !

I am also a nitro convert. Started out with a rustler vxl and did a bunch of upgrades to it, I put it up on Craigslist to either sell or trade for a b4 buggy. A guy replied and asked if I'd be interested in a nitro buggy, I was a little sceptacle at first because I've heard the stories of always having to tune and mess with them. I've always liked the smell and the sound of the nitros when I went to my local track so I said what the heck I'll go take a look at it. About an hour later I came home a proud owner of my first nitro. Read up on how to tune and seal the motor, got it running good, now I'll never turn back. Now I've been looking on Craigslist lately for another good deal on another one. It seems that a lot of them are going for pretty cheap now, probably because people don't have the patience for them. That's OK, their loss becomes my gain.

For me it's when you find that sweet spot in the tuning that makes it scream like a banshee and haul ass like a pimp on New Year's Eve. You just can't get that since of pride from a plug and play electric. You know the feeling you get when she's on tune and running good that just makes you think to yourself. "Yeah man I did that. I made that engine run like that."

Last edited:
^ this is a great example, knowing that when your engine is performing great because of you is just that part of being a nitro enthusiast that much better and enjoyable.

Having race tuned electrics, and owned several nitro rigs, I enjoy my electrics much much more than the nitros. People who talk about plug and play electrics, have never adjusted the different aspects of an electric rig to push it and your limits on a track.

^^ Whatever man still not the same and I doubt you will ever convince us nitro guys any different. But still to each his own.

I said nothing about trying to change anyones mind. I was giving a differing opinion. Dont be small minded. People are different. Just like the "sound" everyone keeps talking about. I personally think that nitro rigs get quite annoying after a while. The "smell", sometimes gives me a headache. Again, its a difference of opinion. There is no true answer as to what is better between two objects, only what one feels is better.

Last edited:
Watched a salesman @ my lhs qualify a customer on what type of power source on his stadium truck. Turns out the guy ran nitro years ago.

I've only been in the hobby for 6 months, started out with a beat up stock Revo 2.5, which somehow grew into a picco .28 powered 3.3 with almost nothing stock left on it - still not real sure how that happened.
I built an electric revo from spare parts & a stock slash motor for my eldest son, he loves it but keeps talking about putting my old TRX3.3 motor in it when he's old enough to learn how to tune it.
Apparently it's not loud enough & doesn't smoke.

If I ever own an electric it'll just be for fooling around in the back yard with the kids, the picco would wake the dead & the neibours don't like it.

While I agree that plug and play is an over simplified description of electrics I think race tuning and keeping a nitro kit running for a race is harder than doing it to an electric. Just my .02 I love them both I dont see why everyone doesn't. They both have their pros and cons.

Ok well I will say I have only made it through page 1 of comments and already I want to close up shop and get home to my Maxx. I started being serious in the hobby about 3 years ago (at the age of 26) ya ya late but better late than never. I went with a friend that just wanted to spend my money. I WAS not all the handy mechanical unless it's changing oil so I did have electric on the brain thought Nitro would be to much for me to tackle. Oh man was I glad he was there. The Revo 3.3 was all the craze and he said I absolutely would love the smell and sound so I said what the heck. I ran it wrecked it a little not bad and loved it. Then moved and packed all my RC stuff up. Yep all of it untill a few weeks ago it's winter time to tinker right? I just tore my T-Maxx 2.5 all the way down and put it back together. I had so much fun and learned even more next is my revo again and then I want to customize my T-maxx 3.3 or possibly build the savage roller I have. I also found my rusty that needs a little work but my wife loves watching "her shows" because I am always in the basement. guys if you hear anyone talking electric get your burner out I am addicted thank you RCNitrotalk.com for being there over the past couple years I just read and read and now my son is 3 and I am building him a nitro to have fun with daddy

i agree nitro rules.i will only buy nitro.i bought the summit when it first came out,just had to have it.ran it a lil put it on the shelf and forgot about it.it does seem like people just want to buy the latest greatest.when it breaks or messes up they take it back to the lhs and say fix it..what happend to the tuning,setting up,being able to work,fix your own rc's?thats half of the hobby figuring things out.and yes rcnt is a grt-8 site for noobs-guru's.

Nitro only for me. And this hobby follows the next big thing, as any hobby is the same way. I have owned one brushless electric rig, had it 3 days it was not for me. i was lucky my friend traded me his 3.3 tmaxx and a nitro Rs4 for it. Right now electric is hot because thats what is being pushed right now by all the mags and LHS out there. I can not even go into my LHS anymore I always end up in a dispute over the electric stuff. I am hopping the new HPI gas truck coming out will tip the scale back in the nitro guys favor some. I can truely say if nitro fades out, it will be time forn a new hobby for me. There is no replacement for displacement.:D

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

Last edited: