Nitro Power being exterminated slowly.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC-REVO

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Today I was in a "Hobby" shop in a "Town" I was visiting. I needed a part for my Revo, so I googled a Hobby shop close to me. Well (HobbyT_wn) came up and I blazed down to check it out. It was cool to see a full service RC place in action. In my town it's only my place for a hundred mile radius. My place just feeds my passion for Nitro's, i don't care if i profit its my addiction. Notice i said Nitro not RC, "Nitro powered truck, buggies, cars, home made jobs it doesn't matter it's a nitro. Anyway I was sold on a new SC10gt ( the only non-Traxxas truck I have ever considered for myself-its awesome) and these guys were great, friendly and very helpful. As I was gathering parts a young guy and his father were looking at trucks with a sales person and I hear this statement and I just about punched him in the face..."Sir I don't recommend a Gas truck, they always catch fire, they are loud and they break all the time, see he is working on that T-Maxx again!, BRUSHLESS ARE THE FUTURE, THEY ARE MORE POWERFUL AND DON'T BREAK". I was pissed, I had to walk out for a second. My salesman knew it too. I went back in and took my truck to the counter...

I had to step in when the young mans father asked the salesman "what I was buying?" he proceeded to tell him that I would be unhappy with it and they would see me often. So I took the stage when the father asked me if I had any experience with a Nitro. "Sir I have listened to you be grossly mislead by your salesman", that got all their attention. I told him about the excitement that I have even after 30 years of being a Nitro Freak when I hear that joker start up. I told him the only way was for him to feel it first hand. I told him that they will make you say words you normally wouldn't, how you will dwell on a issue until you find the answer, he may want to fight his son now and again...and my sleep on the couch now and then because of his new found addiction. I told him if he isn't patient or somewhat mechanical he may want to charge batteries and go, but if he wanted a challenge and mental stimulation...it's a nitro! So we went to my truck and I pulled out my JYD (junk yard dog) Revo, which isn't pretty but its a runner...grabbed the wand and radio. Walked him through start up. I fired it up drove it for a minute to get temp up and handed him the radio. He was putting around like a Sunday driver...give it some throttle....he didn't want to break it, I grabbed the radio and showed him how to bash it, he had a grin 5ft wide and his son was wide eyed.

Needless to say they left with 2 T-maxx's, a gallon of fuel, tuning and breakin tips, my phone number AND THE BEST NITRO KNOWLEDGE ON THE WEB..."Nitrotalk.com"
We have to sell this addiction because the Hooby industry isn't, RC magazines are all going electric! I don't have any ill feelings about electric trucks etc but I'm pissed when an industry that blew up with the introduction of Nitro powered cars and trucks pushes them aside because no has the time or patients for them! We have the power to draw people into this great addiction, crank them up, answer the questions because you may inspire a NEW NITRO FREAK,! Be Blessed
<SC-REVO>

"It's more than a hobby...it's an addiction!"

Couldn't have said it better myself. Although I prefer the Savage to the Maxx I still get goose bumps when I hear a nitro engine fire up and scream down the road. I think the salesman was thinking more about profit than customer satisfaction. I mean look at the price difference between a brushless rig and a nitro. There is like a 100 to 200 dollar price difference. That doesn't include the Lipos or the charger. I agree that it seems as though the nitro side of this hobby is getting squeezed out.

I agree. I understand about profit I own a body shop (full time) and profit pays the bills but the end result the sales person didn't qualify the customer by asking key questions. Yes a lot of people shouldn't own Nitro's because of tuning like my son who is a electric freak, but can tune a nitro to save his life. That's okay if that's what they want, but talking them out of a nitro is shameful!:angry:

It's not only shameful, it's blasphemy! I feel as though nitro teaches some valuable skills such as tuning and mechanics care and maintenence. I agree that people have the right to make up their own minds. But if someone feels they are up to the challenge of nitro then I'm sure not going to try and talk them out of it. I just tell them to be prepared to get their hands dirty and if they need help just give me a shout.

I got a text from his son, he was thrilled and told me that they were on tank 5 break-in and all was well. So if the right info is given, and they actually listen and put info to good use they are hooked. 65% of the Nitro's brought to me for tuning issues are due to not being broke in correctly.

"It's more than a hobby...it's an addiction!"

Yep that's true. That's the first question i ask when someone brings me a truck that they can't get tuned right. I know a guy who broke in a brand new 3.3 by putting the truck against a stump and proceeded to run the 5 tanks through it. Then he wondered why his truck was so slow.

Everyone bashes the 3.3 but if they are Broke In Correctly you don't have the "it won't idle, the carb must be leaking, it won't hold a tune blah blah blah". I will admit at times they are a challenge but what nitro isn't. I have a picco 21 that is a nightmare...but everyone loves them.

For us nitro freaks thats what 1/2 the funs about - The challenges!! I own both and it would be very easy to walk away from the nitro for some but not me! My Maxx and MGT got me rehooked last year and I dont plan on stopping them anytime soon!!

well said, even though brushless rc's are good i will always like nitro more! even though you do break some parts you get more of a thrill and you challenge yourself

A lot of it has to do with stupid and lazy people. People in general are getting dumber and lazier by the day. The electrics are more forgiving, and do not require as much tuning or labor. It's a win-win for the hobby shops because fewer people are coming back with a new nitro that they just toasted during break-in.

Nitro will always hold there own in our hobbie...
It's pretty much what you like my bashing buddy does not dislike nitro & think's there awesome to bash with & loves the sounds the nitro's make..
He said he just does not want the hassles of tuning & cleaning up the nitro fuel all over the Rig after a run or having to put after run oil in the engine & keeping fuel on hand. So electric brushless & lipo's are where it's @ for him

Myself I started in Nitro R/C's when I got into our hobbie & love nitro's... & I love brushless now too & lipo's & own 2 Rig's running lipo & brushless motors... I also remember when Brushless Tech hit our hobby @ 1st no one wanted to run brushless & brushless had a ton of problems out of the gate & back then hobby shops couldent keep NITRO's in stock.. But over time things inproved with brushless & now everyone own's @ least 1 brushless Rig in there R/C garage... & NITRO will still be a heavy favorite for guy's like myself that will still buy a Nitro Rig & who know's down the road Nitro Co's might start making even more Bigger powerplants to stay in comp with Brushless motors..

I'm glad to see everyone jumping in! I love a nitro, and your right electrics have a place as well as Nitro's. Trust me I know electrics are very popular and I use one in my crawler but it started with me trying to prove a point and trying to crawl with a nitro...haha who was I kiddin the nitro wanted all or nothing....throttle that is. I support both ends but when the counter people say Nitro's are the past. This guy was telling another about his road car that will do 77mph, impressive but my 4-tec has hit 94 mph...2 years ago. But where can you go that fast? Keep going spread the word, keep our Nitro end going not just surviving.:D

Nitro isnt going anywhere with me!!! I will never get tired of hearing my rigs rip by me like a 2 stroke dirtbike and tuning on em and getting more and more results from different upgrades. Its like owning a hot rod but not as expensive. Sure brushless is powerful. For about 10 mins! Then you have to recharge your damn batteries. So unless you have an additional $250 to spend on extra lipos and a charger you can't bash 1/4 of the day like nitro. Just refill the damn tank and go! My name is Chris and I'm a nitro addict and i dont want any help recovering from it!

same here guy's I really love nitro, actually last friday I had a problem tuning my buggy cause I bought new type of nitro fuel and its very strange to me, I posted it here in one of thread "rapicon nitro fuel". since friday I can't sleep properly why my tune is off. Today I didn't go to work just to tune my nitro car, hahahahaha... And I got a good result, I tuned and I think he runs to the max performance of my LRPz21r nitro engine, and its very fulfilling. Now I am good, peace of mind. Thinking again for the next nitro engine project.

My neighbor gave me a box full of electric stuff the other day. In it was a Traxxas slash.(which after seeing what's going on with the electric RC world, it's the one everyone wants.) I charged up the battery and ran it out in front of the house and it appeared to function properly. The next day I gave it away just to get it out of my house. Nothing is more boring than an electric RC. As long as I'm involved in RC, it will be nitro or nothing. It's a challenge and takes a lot of learning but I'm winning. Love the smoke and noise and that's something that electric will never have. And I will teach anyone who wants to learn about it. I'm lucky that my local hobby shop guy is a nitro man and has been for a long time. He and I will not let it die.

I am strictly a nitro person, but electrics require much less maintenance and are more for new people to the rc world. My hobby shop guy told me the other day a guy brought in a revo and with the wheel fallen off. He had the nyloc nut and everything and he still brought it down to have the damn wheel put on! I was amazed! Electrics are only for people who want run and thats it. Nitro vehicles "You run for an hour and work on it an hour." Thats the one reason I love Nitro besides the raw power and the smell of burning nitro. I always love to clean the engine and maintain it, inspect it and what have you. Nitro is for people who like to tinker and problem solve. And of course you have to get tuning down which is the first major hump. But when you can tune, Nitro is much more rewarding than electric for the right person.

Theres nothing better than the sound and smell of nitro. I have been addicted since I was 16 when I bought a nitro sport knowing nothing about the hobby and I for one will never go electric

My neighbor gave me a box full of electric stuff the other day. In it was a Traxxas slash.(which after seeing what's going on with the electric RC world, it's the one everyone wants.) I charged up the battery and ran it out in front of the house and it appeared to function properly. The next day I gave it away just to get it out of my house. Nothing is more boring than an electric RC. As long as I'm involved in RC, it will be nitro or nothing. It's a challenge and takes a lot of learning but I'm winning. Love the smoke and noise and that's something that electric will never have. And I will teach anyone who wants to learn about it. I'm lucky that my local hobby shop guy is a nitro man and has been for a long time. He and I will not let it die.

I find it hard to believe you "gave away" a slash just because you didnt like it, although you may have, just sounds hard to believe, If you did good for you, i hope you gave it to someone deserving of it, this brushless vs nitro war will rage on for years like the ford/chevy war, its all personal preference, i still own both but find my self running my brush less stuff because i race more than anything now.

I have been gravitating more towards electrics since I've started out in the hobby. I orginally learned on a nitro adn my first 5 or 6 kits were nitro until I got an urge to build a 100+MPH Rustler. The Rustler was my first venture into electrics and I have to say I've loved them ever since. I have been in the process of converting several of my nitros to electric the past couple of years and my goal is to have about 33-40% of my kits nitro and the rest electric. Now dont get me wrong I still love nitros with a passion. I love electrics too and since I dont have nearly as much time to tinker with them as Id like thats why electrics have come to dominate my collection but I will never turn loose of my nitros altogether. I love them way to much for that!

Back