Nitro monster truck bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman214

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I have a redcat racing avalanche I know it's not a savage but what are some things I can do to make it a lil tougher? This one is my basher I just ordered a revo a couple a days ago and going to use that as a racer. I just rolled it yesterday and broke a front arm and it did not really hit that hard. I just want to make it a lil tougher

Well... you could take all the plastic off and boil it. Makes it a bit more pliable. There's not much in the line of aftermarket support for those.

Rooky78 how long did it really take you to get the hang of nitro like take them apart and put them back together? I can work on my car all day long but looking at the nitro cars is like me working on a honda. I'll get it sooner or later just start taking stuff apart putting it back together.

It takes a while. Like you said, take it apart and put it back together. I learn something new every day.

Thanks for the link exactly what I needed

Depending on how cold it is outside, that can also make things even more brittle. Any time you run when it's 40F or lower, unless it's RPM, it's going to be more brittle. All my RPM stuff seems fine hot or cold.

I definitely agree, @olds97_lss but I can't recall seeing any RPM anything for Redcat anything. Lol

"Like working on a Honda" lmao. I own an 2008 Civic and the few times I've worked on it, it usually ends with me saying "now why the hell would they do that". Then it goes to the shop. I've only ever done the brakes, oil changes, and spark plugs. Even the spark plugs had a why moment, they buried the damn things.
I agree though not mich aftermarket support there, so I'd try the boiling.

"Like working on a Honda" lmao. I own an 2008 Civic and the few times I've worked on it, it usually ends with me saying "now why the hell would they do that". Then it goes to the shop. I've only ever done the brakes, oil changes, and spark plugs. Even the spark plugs had a why moment, they buried the damn things.
I agree though not mich aftermarket support there, so I'd try the boiling.
It's the same with french cars. I don't know what they were thinking. One example is where they used 3 different screw types on the timing belt cover on some Citroen... And you needed 6 inch longs bendy thumbs and fingers to tighten them...

And that's why I love my mustang SIMPLE and everything is easy to get to.

My Mustang has some of those places. It's much better since I filed the A.I.R system in section 86. Lol

I don't see anything there is wouldn't try. Expect lots of broken parts until you learn how to take off and land proper. Lol. I'd prefer a truck with plenty of aftermarket support.

Lol...I remember days like that....Lot of fun!
I don't get out no more...My Mgt is a 12 year survivor of brutal bashins like that!

Some of me & B-law vids.

Another oldie with my Mgt....One of my favorites.Almost landed on my sister as she taking the vid.

Last edited:
Is this real and is this possible?

Not really. The t-maxx can be made to be pretty tough, but 10+ foot drops on hard ground will break it pretty consistently without some upgrades, and still break even with upgrades. I've shattered bulkheads, blown shocks, broken chassis rails and arms doing much less than what they are doing here. In quite a few of the landings, you can hear the engine change pitch and see things become deformed under the body. My guess is a few broken engine mounts (possibly crank cases), blown shocks, busted skids/chassis rails were the end result of some of these landings.

To handle that kind of punishment, you need an aluminum core (skids, chassis rails, center skid, bulkheads, bulkhead braces) or the t-maxx just buckles. I did just that quite a few times many years ago when I had a maxx. Had similar issues with my LST (heavily upgraded aftershock) and even tweaked TVP's on my savage. I've landed so badly from so high with my savage that my engine mount shattered and the engine fell out. I've also snapped RPM arms on my revo and t-maxx more than once.

Anyway, if you abuse things, they will break. Can be fun on occasion, just make sure you have some funds to get it back together. ;)

Even with all of the Titanium skid-plates reinforcing my Revo, i wouldn't want to jump it very high.

Back