Nitro guy starting to lean to electric.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith

Dirt Oval Addict!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
In the late 90s early 2000s I raced nitros in Dallas tx. Loved it! If you were serious about rc, you were NITRO! Well, had my son and lost time, money and interest. Sa la vi RCs! Okay, now I'm back into them. 3.3 maxx, 3.3 slayer pro, lil maximum .16, and a raze 4.4. But.....I'm starting to try to understand electrics. The technology has become akin only to NASA. I'm really starting to shop. One of my electric only fellow rc guys sent me a box with a note that only says " give electrics a try". Inside was a 1/16 buggy. All steel driveline. Waterproof electronics. A motor with what I'm sure is a heat sink. I'm charging it now to terrorize the office with! Any tips and pointers to someone who's thinking of converting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
( ps there are no markings on the lil rig for me to even know what I'm tinkering with. His way of making me get involved!):D

Any pics of the rig? You can't go wrong with electric, technology has made them a no brainer. Just depends on what your wanting, full time basher, short course racer, 1/8 racer, monster truck and so on. Theres a perfect setup in each of those just waiting for someone to purchase them.
Since you have a few monster trucks already I'm guessing thats what you dig. The Erevo brushless and the Savage Flux are the 2 most popular. Either of those on 6s lipo will piss on any nitro any day and make you a kiddy little kid again.

1/16 exceed blaze

Someone please tell me you can do something to upgrade this little guy! All steel motor and spur gear. All steel drive line. Got to be something to do to it. I've no experience in electric so be slow with me. Motor change maybe? Electronics?

Man in completely depends on what rig it is. If you could post a pic we might be able to ID it for you and go from there.

You can try for a motor/ESC upgrade, but you open a whole new can of worms on drive-kine reliability. Exceed hasn't been known for their quality in the past. You're better off driving it as it is until the wheels fall off. Then you can upgrade to one of the better known brands that have more aftermarket support.

Oh yes the famous exceed! I tried one and let just say i ran one day and took it apart and "custom" painted it and gave it to the wife..................its been sitting on the shelf ever sense.

---------- Post added at 1:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:49 PM ----------

You can try for a motor/ESC upgrade, but you open a whole new can of worms on drive-kine reliability. Exceed hasn't been known for their quality in the past. You're better off driving it as it is until the wheels fall off. Then you can upgrade to one of the better known brands that have more aftermarket support.

I agree. Run it till they fall off my friend.
After oowning one and know the quality feel of it. I think any cheap bl system you put on it would spit the gears out like bad lunch. Theres a for sale forums here and i see a really nice setup for sale at a very good price. (Non crimes market)

---------- Post added at 1:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:54 PM ----------

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106223&page=2

@Jsmith,
Nitro fuel=$35.00 a gallon...
Electric=priceless...

Last edited by a moderator:
What I save on fuel...leaves more funds to
spend on bling, any way, to each his own.

What I save on fuel...leaves more funds to
spend on bling, any way, to each his own.

Agree with you. For nitro I used to do 1/8 onroad, touring, and 1/8 buggy. If you count the money send on a normal practice day, 2 set of foams, fuel, plugs etc. Can get lot of stuff already. I am still a big nitro fan but my nitro are all more display now....... I just play my electric touring or F1 mostly now....... A set panaracer rubber tires last around 40-50 packs (well, ya, best preformance only the first 10 packs or so but I can used it for fun after the first 10 packs). And the battery, motor and ESC basically last forever if you takecare of it. My mugen MRX5 will eat up one brand new set of foam in around...... 45min to 1hour runtime...................

Traxxas Rustler VXL

As I said before, I'm a nitro guy....but, I picked up a Traxxas VXL waterproof today. Got the veliean 3500 brushless in it. Before I even charged it I went to the hobby shop!

So, I got a 3S 20C lipo for it, lipo charger ( I didn't have one), new spur and pinion 31/76 and a new set of proline tires and rims. ( saw some I just liked)

Now, all upgraded and ready to roll.....except....WAITING FOR THE LIPO TO CHARGE! The suspense is killing me! I'm used to to fueling it up and ripping out! Patience I guess. So, I sit here just wondering how long it takes?

Do you think I went wrong in any of my initial upgrades? Any pointers would be great. Thanks guys! :D

Nope you did good, 3s is the way to go. I'm a huge fan of the VXL too, alot of people complain cuz they go bad sometimes, but so does every brand out there.

How many MAH is the battery? If its large like 5000 even charging at 5A it will take a while.

I run 3s on my mERV VXL which is the little brother to what you're running. It puts the grin on your face fast, quick and in a hurry.

Oh dude check out spcracing lipos they where recommended to me and i like them so far. And i am new to brushless as well.

+1 just picked up 4 2s lipos 5000mah for $25 a pop at spc

Sent from my Pip Boy-3000

Update on my rusty vxl.....LOVE IT!!! I'm now a brushless fanatic. ( former nothing BUT nitro guy) I'm searching out a brushless 4wd buggy or truggy as we speak!

Back