Just picked up an HPI Nitro Buggy after a 10 year hiatus, starting my build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76Vandura4x4

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So after selling my R/C collection almost a decade ago, the bug has finally got me again and I picked up a 1/8 HPI 4.6 nitro truggy chassis with a blown engine a couple days ago for $60. It has billet control arms and hubs, eco power waterproof high torque steering servo, and a few other goodies. The 4.6 came with it in pieces, but I bought a roller versus something complete because I want to build it my way.

Post up your truggy builds if anyone here has them! I am going to be purchasing a Dynamite Big Red .28 in the next week for it. I have a few questions…

#1 I hear that it bolts right up supposedly, is there nothing specifically needed to make it work? Such as clutch/flywheel/pipe/header etc.

#2 I’m looking to find the right shims to put in my diff, can someone point me in the right direction, and how many are best for the right spacing?

#3 It sits a lot higher than most HPI truggy’s, what are some good options for upgrades suspension wise? I’m guessing the owner before me just threw on some random no name aftermarket shocks.

#4 So I’ve heard that the Big Reds only downfall is that the stock pull starts break easily, what is the tiger drive that would fit this engine or pull starts from others, or electric start?

Thanks in advance, stoked to get started on this build!

Attachments

• A35FD4A0-A912-467F-8171-015D4E6FC1A7.jpeg
    A35FD4A0-A912-467F-8171-015D4E6FC1A7.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hey, it's me again from your other post. I can't offer advice on Nitro and stuff, I'm not super experienced in the RC hobby (been in it for over a year now). However, I recommend that you check out the Nitro section of the forum, as well as the Buggy/Truggy section. You'll find it if you scroll down a little bit on the forum's main page.

Hey, it's me again from your other post. I can't offer advice on Nitro and stuff, I'm not super experienced in the RC hobby (been in it for over a year now). However, I recommend that you check out the Nitro section of the forum, as well as the Buggy/Truggy section. You'll find it if you scroll down a little bit on the forum's main page.
Is this not the buggy/truggy section? Because that what I clicked on before I posted. Thanks though I was thinking of copy and pasting this same post in nitro if people wouldn’t think it’s spamming and find that annoying

It's best to post in one forum section only. If you are asking nitro questions, post there. Questions about the truggy, post here. Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think that anyone would know if any diffs need shimming before they open up the diff ,however ,
An RTR might be OK ,if it was a kit that one might build ,comes with shims to put in!
So guess ,you might need to on line manual to get the specs of sizes of the shims ,or might can just buy
A specific brand shim kit an take your chances!
The engine ,I am not familiar with it ,but I think Dynamite also uses a roto start system as well , not
Sure if they make one or another aftermarket one fits!
As far as posting here for the engine ,it should be ok ,it is specific to the truggy ,as you have to also
Wonder if your starter shaft will even clear the other components to even work!
There is steps that you can take to prolong the life of the pull starter ,one is to heat the engine up with
A heat gun before starting ,two ,loosen the glow plug on the first start up to relieve pressure ,three ,dont
Over extend the pull rope as you start the engine ,only do short pulls!...👍

I wouldn't think that anyone would know if any diffs need shimming before they open up the diff ,however ,
An RTR might be OK ,if it was a kit that one might build ,comes with shims to put in!
So guess ,you might need to on line manual to get the specs of sizes of the shims ,or might can just buy
A specific brand shim kit an take your chances!
The engine ,I am not familiar with it ,but I think Dynamite also uses a roto start system as well , not
Sure if they make one or another aftermarket one fits!
As far as posting here for the engine ,it should be ok ,it is specific to the truggy ,as you have to also
Wonder if your starter shaft will even clear the other components to even work!
There is steps that you can take to prolong the life of the pull starter ,one is to heat the engine up with
A heat gun before starting ,two ,loosen the glow plug on the first start up to relieve pressure ,three ,dont
Over extend the pull rope as you start the engine ,only do short pulls!...👍
The Dynamite just uses an average pull start, which is prone to breaking if you aren’t conscious of keeping the pills under 10” or something like that. I’d really like to upgrade to one of the tiger drives that you can start with a drill, but an electric start would be ever better. The dynamite closely resembles many engine as far as specs go, so I’ll just have to research what is similar I suppose. What I have found is that an LRP Z.28 pull starts may work because they have the same size hex on the crank but is slight thicker of a head, but will still fit on the Dynamite with a little finagling so I might order that as the same time as the engine to have a backup.

As far as shimming goes, I’ve read on several places online and seen YouTube videos of people adding an extra shim or two to take out the slack in the center diff. I just need to find the dimensions of the stock HPI ones and then see if I can find thinner ones I can stack and play with gear play.

Is this not the buggy/truggy section? Because that what I clicked on before I posted. Thanks though I was thinking of copy and pasting this same post in nitro if people wouldn’t think it’s spamming and find that annoying
Oh, whoops, my bad! Yes, this is under the Buggy/Truggy section. Like @WickedFrog said, it's best to post Buggy/Truggy questions here, and Nitro related questions in the Nitro section.
Thank you sir! I probably should have already found that myself, I appreciate you doing the work instead haha
lol I know, right? It's a win for me when some helpful person out there finds a resource for me! That's the great thing about forums, we can all help each other out!

you've actually got the better Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro there seeing the chassis and rear brace are polished, the hpi trophy truggy is a rerelease rtr lower cost cutting material and finishes version of the HB.
oh and i have a parts truck lsp if you needed anything

Hey Vandura

ill seriously give 100 for the set of lower polished arms you have there, and send you the set from my original kit to swap and more

Hey Vandura

ill seriously give 100 for the set of lower polished arms you have there, and send you the set from my original kit to swap and was one of the selling points of when I bought it,
Hey Vandura

ill seriously give 100 for the set of lower polished arms you have there, and send you the set from my original kit to swap and more
I’m not looking to part out anything on it sorry, since they are NLA the aluminum a arms was one of the big selling points when I found it, I only paid $60 for the whole rig and couldn’t replace them for that much even if I found them used.

I’m not looking to part out anything on it sorry, since they are NLA the aluminum a arms was one of the big selling points when I found it, I only paid $60 for the whole rig and couldn’t replace them for that much even if I found them used.
i have hunted for 8 years regret auctioning off my fresh pro 2 race kit with those had no clue the future worth or inobtainability. btw those made of recent by asian brands, are nothing like those original I'm trying to fund 2 rear cv axles for my build, 42 bux....
The Dynamite just uses an average pull start, which is prone to breaking if you aren’t conscious of keeping the pills under 10” or something like that. I’d really like to upgrade to one of the tiger drives that you can start with a drill, but an electric start would be ever better. The dynamite closely resembles many engine as far as specs go, so I’ll just have to research what is similar I suppose. What I have found is that an LRP Z.28 pull starts may work because they have the same size hex on the crank but is slight thicker of a head, but will still fit on the Dynamite with a little finagling so I might order that as the same time as the engine to have a backup.

As far as shimming goes, I’ve read on several places online and seen YouTube videos of people adding an extra shim or two to take out the slack in the center diff. I just need to find the dimensions of the stock HPI ones and then see if I can find thinner ones I can stack and play with gear play.
"dynamite closely resembles many engine as far as specs go, so I’ll just have to research what is similar I suppose"

SH

losi mach mach ss 26 28 dynamite
heavily involved on losi engines
xtm gs racing not all but a majority of

then theres force taiwan, which i amone with the force my friend,

hpi 21 25

HB 21 26
ofna 21 25 26 28 32
cen 7.6 7.7
hb truckz .46
torq 21
hpi 5.9