Nitro a dying breed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastio

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just saw a thread in the Traxxas section saying the Tmaxx is a dying breed, but i don't think it's just the Tmaxx...It's any nitro in general! I've been seeing more and more electric at the track as time goes on. I think it's due to the fact that electric is more just charge a battery plug it in and go. Nitro on the other hand is having to worry about, tuning, fuel, not starting, etc. And i really don't think anyone has the patience for it anymore. Does anyone see it this way?

For me, it was a cost of fuel thing, not a patience thing. Fuel is $52 a gallon here. In my Savage that was roughly 5 hours of play time. So basically, if I went out for an all day bash session with friends, that gallon was pretty much done at the end of the day. So $50 + dollars for a day of play time if I didn't break anything. For me, brushless met the demands and then some for power, and is more economical in the long run. Gas is the same way, much cheaper in the long run, and you still get the sounds and smell factor to boot.

For me, it was a cost of fuel thing, not a patience thing. Fuel is $52 a gallon here. In my Savage that was roughly 5 hours of play time. So basically, if I went out for an all day bash session with friends, that gallon was pretty much done at the end of the day. So $50 + dollars for a day of play time if I didn't break anything. For me, brushless met the demands and then some for power, and is more economical in the long run. Gas is the same way, much cheaper in the long run, and you still get the sounds and smell factor to boot.

+1 on the cost of fuel. I am going to pick up a gallon of nitro for the weekend and it will cost me around $50 as well. Tuning is tuning and nitro has its fun factor, but I think it wont be long before you will see almost nothing but electric. However, there will always be those of us that will pay whatever the cost of nitro no matter what. I for one, am finding it hard to justify paying that much money for nitro, when my kids need new clothes and my van needs brakes etc., but I do still love my nitro Tmaxx and will find it also very difficult to give it up. I really only have time to go for a burn with the Tmaxx on the weekends, so a gallon will last me almost a month.

I don't think nitro is a dying breed. I do think that nitro has demand where it has demand. My lhs carries a lot of fuel and sells a lot of nitros as well as electrics. The problem I see with nitro is the same where I see our society is going. No one wants to pop their hood on their real car to check their fluids these days but they can text message. Our society is changing from a DIY to a DIFM. Everything is based on convience and nitro is not all that convenient but one thing is for sure, there's nothing like that smell.:D

I don't think nitro is a dying breed. I do think that nitro has demand where it has demand. My lhs carries a lot of fuel and sells a lot of nitros as well as electrics. The problem I see with nitro is the same where I see our society is going. No one wants to pop their hood on their real car to check their fluids these days but they can text message. Our society is changing from a DIY to a DIFM. Everything is based on convience and nitro is not all that convenient but one thing is for sure, there's nothing like that smell.:D

+1 on the smell, can't beat it.

DIFM?????

Had my maxx on tickover in my shed for a couple mins . Its only 10ft by 10ft . And the smell is lovely . I had to sit down for 5 mins very potent stuff .

---------- Post added at 6:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:59 PM ----------

I think difm means do it for money not sure .

---------- Post added at 6:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 6:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:04 PM ----------

I think DIFM means, DO IT FOR ME. What kind of fuel are you guys buying, mine cost me $32 for a gallon its blue thunder. I just bought my truck last week and broke the pull start/ spin start got it fixed though, took awhile to figure it out and losi is still sending me a new one so I got spare now.

If I had to guess I'd say DIFM would be do it for me because I can't do it myself.

As for nitro I'm new to the hobby but I love it. I will get a brushless rc one day. But the nitro will always be in the trunk for when my batteries are dead!

Here's the truth. My dad ran nitro boats when I was a kid. Tunnels, sport 40s, etc. In the workshop there's an old nova with a ringed piston that detonated on the engine graveyard shelf. I grew up to the smell of nitro, so for as long as I am doing rc I will be driving nitro. It isn't currently the big thing because of the brushless tech upgrade, but don't think that tech can't advance on the nitro side as well. I don't think that nitro is shrinking at all, in fact. I think that our hobby is trending so hard right now that nitro and electric are both growing, but because of ease of use most first vehicles are electric, which makes it look like nitro is dying. At least that's the case around here.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

I don't care about cost of fuel, especially if I keep getting it at 28 bucks a gallon. They are also labor intensive and finicky, but I'll never stop running nitro!

LONG LIVE NITRO!........and metal too!

Like it was staited before nitro isnt as easy as electric and you can't just come in after a bash and put it on the shelf without doing acouple tweaks to it here and there... for me I have electric for around the house ( because of complaints) as soon as I get yelled at with the nitro's I bring out the electric. but I have a small yard and the maxx doesn't like small areas!!!! nitro will always be around its just brushless vehicles are everywhere so people are able to pop in and race and then go home and put it on the shelf until the next time they want to use it. I will never give up on nitro as long as nitro is sold!!!! nothing like it !!!!

Like it was staited before nitro isnt as easy as electric and you can't just come in after a bash and put it on the shelf without doing acouple tweaks to it here and there...

Sure you can,I don't do anything to my Savage 90% of the time but that's not going to be the popular answer around here. I never use ARO and I don't drain the tank if it's not empty. My storage area has always been heated or A/C though. I might do a little different if it were just out in a storage shed or something like that.

Something that hasn't really been mentioned is the power difference. I ran nitro rigs for years. I bought my first brushless setup in '09, and there is simply no comparison in the amount of power on tap. My brushless pede will smoke everything I own now, or have ever owned if I can keep it from flipping over backwards. But it's not just the speed, it's the instant torque that is always there. The core technology behind a nitro engine really hasn't changed since the 60's when they were introduced. Conversely, electric tech has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 15 years or so.

I'm not knocking the nitro rigs, I still have one of mine. Hell, I even bought a gasser partly because I missed the sound of the two smokes. But when I want the baddest rig in the stable, I'm grabbing the electric. :D

I used to just bring them in but since I have had a few problems with the maxx and the jato, I have been cleaning them out and everything. trying to figure out what I mighta messed up on to get them to act up.

DIFM stands for do it for me because I can't, no tools, no knowledge, etc. etc. This customer came in and was a professor at the university of Buffalo and taught engineering. Over the years he has heard his students of changing the oil on the lawnmower, changing a spare tire and so on. Now all he hears is well if I can't fix it I'll just get a new one. There seems to be no willingness to learn or explore these days. Even the car which used to have so much pride is now just a throw away item just like the microwave. You don't hear people saying I drive a Toyota, you hear them say its a lease and shrug their shoulders. I think the advancement of the big blocks, bullet proof drivetrains, and the like have advanced the nitro scene but its limited. I use traxxas fuel for about 30 a gallon but blue thunder and odonnell go for about 25. To me if you wanna play you have to pay no matter what hobby or stress relief you're into.

I agree 100%. Nobody these days wants to buy a nitro rc, drive it, and clean it. I think people who are lazy buy electric so all they have to do is press buttons and go, and then plug in to a charger and wait. Not talking about you guys in general. I understand that nitro fuel wherever you guys live is expensive and keeping up with it is expensive. I live in Staten Island, New York. Here, the most money for fuel is 20 dollars for 20%. All of my friends who live here literally told me if there was no video games, they would by an ELECTRIC rc because it easier.:\ Seriously??? All they do is play video games for 10 hours a day and then sleep for the rest. I always tell them get a nitro and lets have some real fun. They tell me its too hard!! But playing games for 10 hours trying to keep your eyes open is not hard!! Gets me so madddd!!!:angry:

I agree with alot of what is being said.
Alot of people just want to play and put it away so electric is the way to go. The brushless cars and trucks are everywhere now. Nitro is more work and you can't beat the smell and sound of a nitro truck. 25 to 50 bucks a gallon is alot and we pay it, just like we pay 4 bucks a gallon for our cars and trucks to drive everyday. We still break stuff so we still have to fix them.
Maybe someone will come out with pump gas cars and truck like the baja but in alittle smaller size. That would help the industry alot.
4 bucks a gallon versus 25 to 50 a gallon hell yeah
i will allways have the nito cars and trucks.
Theres nothing like hearing a jato shift to second gear or a savage shifting from second and then to 3rd.

Theres nothing like hearing a jato shift to second gear or a savage shifting from second and then to 3rd

dont forget about the maxx hitting secound gear that is a damn good sound!!! I love it and will never give it up!!!!

or the jato hitting secound and flipping onto it's back.

I personally say Yes it is a dying breed. Its still a very exciting sound and idea, especially to people just getting into the hobby. But other than that, the cost of nitro, the hassle of tuning, the constant need of cleaning, and the lack of performance compared to an well setup electric rig, makes the nitro a huge thing of the past that is losing its place in rc's fast imo. I personally dont like the smell and the noise, although cool for a bit, is really annoying and is not appreciated by others very often.

its just prefrence I think. there will always be nitro people and electric people. sure when fule gets higher in price I am sure there will be more turning into shelf queens but the true nitro people will always have some kicken around!!

Back