Next Crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevys10zr2003

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I currently have a decently upgraded Axial SCX10.2, brushless, 4 wheel steering Axial RR10 Bomber and a Redcat Gen 8 and am looking to add one more final crawler to my stable. I love my SCX10.2 and Bomber but I don't really care too much for the Gen 8. It is really slow and has some steering binding issues as well as some of the parts don't feel very well made.

The kits that I am currently looking at are the new Axial Capra, Element Enduro builders kit and the Traxxas TRX4 sport kit. Does anyone have experience with these and can recommend one over the others?

The Capra is more a rock racer/Ultra 4 rig than all out crawler. Out of those choices, I'd go with the TRX4.
Yes, stock the Capra is more rock racer. I would have to do the same thing that I did with my Bomber with putting in different gearing to slow it down and shock oils and springs to get it to be more of a crawler but that isn't a deal breaker. What is your reasoning for recommending the TRX4?

Gearing and suspension changes won't change what the frame and suspension geometry was designed to do well. I mean, I can drive a nail in the wall to hang a picture with a large crescent wrench, but a hammer is probably the better tool for the job.

I recommended the TRX because of the options listed, I think it gives the most bang for the buck. And, though people like to bag on Traxxas these days (and rightfully so in some cases), I feel the TRX is the most innovative scale rig to hit the market in a long time. And at the end of the day, all your choices are more scale rigs than pure crawler. True RC crawlers look nothing like a real vehicle usually, but have incredible performance. That being said, for most of us, scalers are more fun in most cases.

Gearing and suspension changes won't change what the frame and suspension geometry was designed to do well. I mean, I can drive a nail in the wall to hang a picture with a large crescent wrench, but a hammer is probably the better tool for the job.

I recommended the TRX because of the options listed, I think it gives the most bang for the buck. And, though people like to bag on Traxxas these days (and rightfully so in some cases), I feel the TRX is the most innovative scale rig to hit the market in a long time. And at the end of the day, all your choices are more scale rigs than pure crawler. True RC crawlers look nothing like a real vehicle usually, but have incredible performance. That being said, for most of us, scalers are more fun in most cases.
I don't know if it changes anything but I guess I should have added that I don't care about "scale" in the slightest. All that I really care about is performance. I even thought about an RC4WD Bully 2 but figured that would make everything too easy and would get boring fast. My favorite looking out of the three that I have is my Bomber and that one is also my best performing of the three even though the SCX10 is by far my most customized one. That is probably also partly due to the 2.2 tires instead of the 1.9 tires.

I'm going to recommend the Enduro kit. I love my RTR version personally, and the kit comes with the better hard plastic bits and other upgraded parts, does everything a TRX-4 can and is cheaper which gives you more options during your build process. The Enduro is gaining a lot of 3rd party support as well so there's already quite a few aftermarket options with many more companies jumping on board. Also you're supporting a company that actually cares about the hobby as a whole vs supporting a team of jackass Traxxas lawyers who shut down local hobby shops, and threaten youtubers with copyright strikes just for mentioning their products without featuring them.

I'm going to recommend the Enduro kit. I love my RTR version personally, and the kit comes with the better hard plastic bits and other upgraded parts, does everything a TRX-4 can and is cheaper which gives you more options during your build process. The Enduro is gaining a lot of 3rd party support as well so there's already quite a few aftermarket options with many more companies jumping on board. Also you're supporting a company that actually cares about the hobby as a whole vs supporting a team of jackass Traxxas lawyers who shut down local hobby shops, and threaten youtubers with copyright strikes just for mentioning their products without featuring them.

The Enduro kit is actually the one that I keep coming back to wanting ever since the rtr release. Really I want all three but I don't have enough time to maintain all three lol.

I just wonder how long will the Enduro be around. Is it going to be like the Proline vehicles where they are only made for a couple of years and then you can't find anything for them? Or will they stick around since they are AE? The Traxxas is tempting though just because of the aftermarket support that it has and that will continue to grow.

I would assume the Enduro will be around for quite a while as Element RC is just starting out as a company brand with tons of support already behind it, and the Enduro chassis is already the basis for two released vehicles (Sendero and Trailwalker). Also many of the SC10 parts fit the Enduro as well. I just got the Vanquish bumper set for mine (and love em' btw for how cheap they were!) Highly recommend them as the Enduro kit doesn't come with them, (and the RTR ones stick WAY too far out).
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vanquish-products-vs410-pro-tube-bumper-set-vps10122/p1007682

Back