New Traxxas Sledge

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up one a couple days back. It is a rocket! Handles really well. Havnt jumped it yet but soon will. Really is a solid truck. I have the kraton 8s and it is a lot like it but I have to give traxxas a nod for the sheer out of the box set of balls on this truggy. still need to try out the bigger pinion but I dont think its at all needed. I have no choice........I just can't not do it.

They must be selling good. I sold 3 of them my first day at the hobby shop
at first I thought it would be a little bigger. Also thought it was pretty high priced for a 1\8th scale. Considering The Xmaxx is $200 more.
But I'm not regrettin my purchase like I said though still gotta send it to know 100% I am impressed with the power and not as heavy as I imagined. My 8s Kraton is a heavy SOB and even though its much larger I asssumed the metal chassis was gonna weigh much more then it does along with the extra additions that just make sense. I do have to complain about the battery tray though. your stuck with one 6s if you use a hard pack. 2 3s hard packs wont fit from my exp.

at first I thought it would be a little bigger. Also thought it was pretty high priced for a 1\8th scale. Considering The Xmaxx is $200 more.
But I'm not regrettin my purchase like I said though still gotta send it to know 100% I am impressed with the power and not as heavy as I imagined. My 8s Kraton is a heavy SOB and even though its much larger I asssumed the metal chassis was gonna weigh much more then it does along with the extra additions that just make sense. I do have to complain about the battery tray though. your stuck with one 6s if you use a hard pack. 2 3s hard packs wont fit from my exp.
ThunderRC on youtube modified his to make it fit the 6S packs he wanted to run. Basically ground down the top piece to give more room. Not sure if that would help with 2x3S or not though.

ThunderRC on youtube modified his to make it fit the 6S packs he wanted to run. Basically ground down the top piece to give more room. Not sure if that would help with 2x3S or not though.

The problem I was facing was the width and the height of the 3s hard packs combined. I could see modifying for a 6s hard pack. But with the 3s no such luck. Tried 2 different brands and both had same dimensions. It was for a 5200mah pair. Ended up taking them out of the case and wrapping them for soft packs. It still was tight but just right. So still could go about an inch in length but not any thicker. Standing side by side. No wiggle room either for space in that regard either. Maybe if you layed them on top of each other you could gain another 1/4 to 1/2 in by doing as you said.👍
The problem I was facing was the width and the height of the 3s hard packs combined. I could see modifying for a 6s hard pack. But with the 3s no such luck. Tried 2 different brands and both had same dimensions. It was for a 5200mah pair. Ended up taking them out of the case and wrapping them for soft packs. It still was tight but just right. So still could go about an inch in length but not any thicker. Standing side by side. No wiggle room either for space in that regard either. Maybe if you layed them on top of each other you could gain another 1/4 to 1/2 in by doing as you said.👍
With soft packs only could you....wanna make sure I didn't confuse anyone with that last bit.

I completely understand that. But my point is, 7075 T6 aluminum does not bend. At all. Especially as easily as his was. He tapped it a few times with a hammer and it bent right back into shape. No 7075 T6 would ever do that. I have machined semi loads of 7075 T6, and would bet every last RC I have that the EXB chassis he had is a poop grade of aluminum, if it even is 7075. Hell, I filled up a 56' box trailer of just shavings of it off a mill in two weeks one time. 7075 T6 absolutely does not bend by smacking it with a hammer.

And Kevin even verifies that when he lays into an M2C chassis made of good 7075 T6 and it didn't bend a bit. And it doesn't matter if he ran over it with a bulldozer. It would have been broken, not bent.

Start watching at 2:40 in this vid...

Kevin is actually a very smart guy if you pay attention in some of his live streams. He knows metal. Probably not to the extent I do, but welders are no dummies. And he is a damn good welder.

Just sayin.
How did you fill a trailer up? Was it wheel barrow, bagged or boxed, barreled? I'm having a hard time picturing that. Hopefully its secure incase the aluminum shaving truck doesn't crash into the rust powder truck. 🤣🤣

I dont doubt you, but I always wondered how the sjavings are moved.
Think that was an April Fools, Arrma did the same thing with the 6 wheel drive Felony.
I checked the site friday and saturday. Nothing. Late saturday I posted thinking we were past that, I guess it just got hung up.

How did you fill a trailer up? Was it wheel barrow, bagged or boxed, barreled? I'm having a hard time picturing that. Hopefully its secure incase the aluminum shaving truck doesn't crash into the rust powder truck. 🤣🤣

I dont doubt you, but I always wondered how the sjavings are moved.

I checked the site friday and saturday. Nothing. Late saturday I posted thinking we were past that, I guess it just got hung up.
The shavings were loaded into gaylords, which were basically the size of 48" square pallets and 48" tall. They were double stacked in the semi. The shop I worked at, at that time, had usually only filled a big dumpster per month of aluminum, but this big job came in that required huge billet blanks, that weighed 700lb+ that were whittled down to parts I could remove off the machine lifting with my forearms.

The 6" facemills we used ripped shavings off, taking .200" depths of cut, approximately 3" wide at times, moving through the material at 200 inches per minute. The machine had an automatic conveyor that funneled the chips into 55 gallon drums at first. Then when we realized the scope of the material we were removing, we had to switch to plastic bag lined gaylords, because stopping every 20 minutes or so to remove a barrel of chips was getting really old. The machine's conveyor system couldn't even keep up with the amount of chips we produced, so we had to keep the conveyor running in between operations to clear the chips, and sometimes even shovel it out by hand.

Here is a video of a 2" facemill I was running, on a much smaller machine, taking much smaller cuts, just to give you an idea of what the 6" was producing at similar feeds and speeds. This is also 7075 aluminum. It is a gearbox for a machine that went in a wind tunnel to test scale vehicles on a moving road bed.

Here is one of the cars we made a lot of parts for...

We made the wheels, suspension components, a 1/4 scale Ford 9" rear end, and lots of other scaled parts for this, and their IndyCar scale models. We also made a boatload of scale semi's.

Last edited:
Looks like a cool truck! Glad to see Traxxas come up with a new platform! MSRP is $799, so it is a quite lot more expensive than the 1/8th Kraton, but I'm excited to see how it compares. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

View attachment 143927

There's a bunch more info on Traxxas Website: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/sledge/
It's better quality than arms. Handles better. You get what you pay for. Very beefy. I drive on my track daily. Every
afternoon. On 6s. I recommend a fan on motor since summer is coming up. No upgrades needed. Who wants to buy a truck for 500$ that needs another 600$ to be worthy of a track? I highly recommend the sledge and e revo 2.0

I got my new Sledge, before running it for the first time, I reinforced the body using the Fiberglass Drywall Tape and Shoe Goo Method. I also upgraded the servo to a Traxxas 400. The original 2275 servo has nice torque but was slow and made the truck seem less responsive. After I installed the Traxxas High Torque 400 and the difference was noticeable. It seem like a whole different truck the handling was quick and precise, much more so than the original servo or even my X-Maxx. I was extremely impressed with how well the Sledge handles. Its definitely a different driving experience than my X-Maxx. If I had to chose which one I liked better, I couldn't do it. They have some similarities, but they are very different and fun each in their own way. I may develop a stronger option after driving the Sledge more and doing some side by side comparison. Overall I'd the Sledge an A+ after the servo upgrade and an A- with the stock servo. The truck is well designed and very well engineered. My only out of the box complaint would be the servo, its got the power but lacks the speed which does impact how the truck handles.

I picked up one a couple days back. It is a rocket! Handles really well. Havnt jumped it yet but soon will. Really is a solid truck. I have the kraton 8s and it is a lot like it but I have to give traxxas a nod for the sheer out of the box set of balls on this truggy. still need to try out the bigger pinion but I dont think its at all needed. I have no choice........I just can't not do it.
Went from stock 13t pinion to an 18t. And boy does she rip! But the tires pizza cut like crazy. Gonna put some ear plugs in the center diff. Drop to a 16t and see how that sits with it. Gotta feeling that will be the sweet spot! Anybody else catch that video on YouTube with the Sledge on 8s? That's the way to go... just gotta come up with a battery solution.

Looks like a cool truck! Glad to see Traxxas come up with a new platform! MSRP is $799, so it is a quite lot more expensive than the 1/8th Kraton, but I'm excited to see how it compares. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

View attachment 143927

There's a bunch more info on Traxxas Website: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/sledge/
My wife got me one for our anniversary. This is by far the best rc i have ever driven. Speed and handling are insane.
I see no need to change anything on it as it is built to bash and performs beyond my expectations which were very high.

My wife got me one for our anniversary. This is by far the best rc i have ever driven. Speed and handling are insane.
I see no need to change anything on it as it is built to bash and performs beyond my expectations which were very high.
It has become my go to truck of choice as well. Drive it more then my xmaxx even. Just really well balanced if you ask me. I broke one front axel and lost a rear. But have fixed the issue with the remedy. Got it running 8s right now... cause why not? It's just as crazy as it sounds and it's awesome! We'll be changing back though cause it's just stupid powerful. Lol!