New To Nitro Cars, Just Bought A Used Hpi Need Help And Have Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholz26

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought i belive is a nitro rs4 2 nitro power 4wd, atleast thats wut the stickers say, the body says hpi racing, and the motor has hpi on it, I'm not sure exactly what this is, if anyone knows, plz inform me haha, i also need a rebuild kit, "rod, piston, sleeve, and poss electric starter kit. The motor was just beat, and was locked up, i got it free w/ alil oil and some patetience, but it wouldn ever roll over freely, w/ the head off. Just please fill me on on some decent websites, that sell parts for my car, would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to find parts for that one pretty easily at Tower Hobbies or Hobby People. Usually the piston/sleeve are sold together and the rod will be separate. Definitely try to strip the engine down as far as you can. Make sure the bearings are good. Then rebuild with new p/s/r and it should run well.

IMO by the time you buy a piston sleeve, rod, and possibly bearings you are going to be very close to the cost of a new mill. You can get an OS 15 from either Tower or RCBoyz for right around $100, and it will be a much better mill than the hpi mill. Also if the engine was that gummed up you can expect to possibly have carb problems too, so I would definately recommend going with the new mill over a rebuild of an HPI.

To identify your car we would need to see some pics, I dont remember the RS4 2 ever having any kind of electric start system.

I think you need a carb.:normal:

IMO by the time you buy a piston sleeve, rod, and possibly bearings you are going to be very close to the cost of a new mill. You can get an OS 15 from either Tower or RCBoyz for right around $100, and it will be a much better mill than the hpi mill. Also if the engine was that gummed up you can expect to possibly have carb problems too, so I would definately recommend going with the new mill over a rebuild of an HPI.

To identify your car we would need to see some pics, I dont remember the RS4 2 ever having any kind of electric start system.

Yeah, I agree with NCNitro on this one, and judging by those pictures, even a new piston and sleeve won't do too much for that engine. That sucker looks like it was run way, way lean so I'm betting dollars to donuts the bearings are shot as well.

I'd take the money you'd spend on a new piston and sleeve and put it towards a new engine like an OS .18 CV-R. Thing will run like a raped ape and OS engines are very reliable.

It's definately a 2, but from the looks of the engine I wouldnt even waste the money trying to rebuild it. Looks the the spur gear is pretty chewed up too, and I notice the fuel tank is missing. Most of the parts for that car are still readily available, but plan on spending at least $150 or better to get it up and running again, and that's just from what I can see from the pics.

haha

no i have the carb and gas tank and glo plug and everything, i jus took it off the body, and took the motor apart thats all, but what motors will fit on my car with no changing anything...

Back