New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of in the air at this point on what I want to do with the tires for this thing, found a good deal on some integy 40 series pin type tires which i am thinking about, but i haven't heard anything on their tires, i know their aluminum isn't the best.
Just dont want to buy them, glue them, then figure out they are crap tires. Not gearing anything about them even after searching for reviews could either be a bad thing, or could be an ok thing. I know this thing runs well with the big Joe's but given their size wondering if it would squeeze more out of the truck running lower profile pin tires.

Kind of in the air at this point on what I want to do with the tires for this thing, found a good deal on some integy 40 series pin type tires which i am thinking about, but i haven't heard anything on their tires, i know their aluminum isn't the best.
Just dont want to buy them, glue them, then figure out they are crap tires. Not gearing anything about them even after searching for reviews could either be a bad thing, or could be an ok thing. I know this thing runs well with the big Joe's but given their size wondering if it would squeeze more out of the truck running lower profile pin tires.

I had never ran 40 series ,I only ran the Losi claws an Tmaxx chevrons on the Mgt.'s ,however ,the green truck has
the Axial beadlocks & Team Orions soft compound tires ,never ran the truck with them!

I had never ran 40 series ,I only ran the Losi claws an Tmaxx chevrons on the Mgt.'s ,however ,the green truck has
the Axial beadlocks & Team Orions soft compound tires ,never ran the truck with them!
i guess i always forget that the losi 420 series are actually 40 series with 20 hexes, may have to see what i can find on those.

Well the Integy tires came in today, tried my hand at dying the rims, turned out well I think.
20190427_135411(0).jpg

Almost came out brownish on two, the rims when I got them were a bit sunbleached. Overall I'm happy though.
First impressions on the tires:
But softer than I was expecting, was worried that they would be rocks so i was pleased, definitely not gonna last long if i hit the pavement though. Foams were definitely a tight fit inside of them, a bit worried the foams might have semi permanently deformed from being curled up inside the tires.
20190427_141437.jpg

Fit was perfect on the bead
20190427_141448.jpg

Tires are a bit out of round from sitting in their packaging, but I think a few runs will straighten that up.
Had my nephews pushing the truck around putting weight on it to try settling in the foams before I glued them.
Got em mounted up, quite pleased with the final install.
20190427_180903.jpg

Alot smaller than the others that have been on it so am going to find a 16t or 17t clutchbell.

You will see the difference with performance ,the truck will be faster an more agile ,the steering will also be
more responsive!

A 17t is what I been wanting too!

It looks great!....:thumbs-up:

Well the Integy tires came in today, tried my hand at dying the rims, turned out well I think. View attachment 118728
Almost came out brownish on two, the rims when I got them were a bit sunbleached. Overall I'm happy though.
First impressions on the tires:
But softer than I was expecting, was worried that they would be rocks so i was pleased, definitely not gonna last long if i hit the pavement though. Foams were definitely a tight fit inside of them, a bit worried the foams might have semi permanently deformed from being curled up inside the tires.
View attachment 118729
Fit was perfect on the bead
View attachment 118730
Tires are a bit out of round from sitting in their packaging, but I think a few runs will straighten that up.
Had my nephews pushing the truck around putting weight on it to try settling in the foams before I glued them.
Got em mounted up, quite pleased with the final install.
View attachment 118731
Alot smaller than the others that have been on it so am going to find a 16t or 17t clutchbell.
looks sick!

looks sick!
You will see the difference with performance ,the truck will be faster an more agile ,the steering will also be
more responsive!

A 17t is what I been wanting too!

It looks great!....:thumbs-up:
Thanks guys!
Gonna order a 17t clutchbell tonight. It's definitely quick but definitely pretty slow lol.
The tires are super grippy, quite pleased with them. Even some running on pavement they aren't showing any signs of wear yet so have more faith in them not wearing out really fast comparatively. dont think I'm gonna be able to afford that ld3 lol
Took it for a spin today even 6 turns out can't seem to get it to shift and it feels like the set screw for the 2speed set screw in the tranny is binding. Gonna have to tear it down I think.
wondering if the threads are messed up in there.
Got a short video, going to try posting it up in the am. It's so weird seeing this small of tires on one of these trucks lol. It is super agile though hasn't tried flipping when cornering to hard like with the other tires either.

that body looks nice!
not going to lie i am a huge Dodge Ram fan, well Pre-2008 Dodge ram, 94-01 especially, but the only body for those years is Parma, and they are for smaller 1/10 scale.
Now if only i could find a Raminator body for my LST.... sidetracked. this body came out after i got the C-10 body for the RED, wish i would have held out on a body for that one, but the only other body i had on hand was a mid 60s chevy looking body that did not in the slightest hint of imagination fit.
did have a question though, has anyone used the Duratrax paints? and if so good luck with it? think i used Tamiya before, but i know the cans just didn't hold quite enough paint. so getting 2 was quite excessive, but one just wasn't enough.

did have a question though, has anyone used the Duratrax paints? and if so good luck with it? think i used Tamiya before, but i know the cans just didn't hold quite enough paint. so getting 2 was quite excessive, but one just wasn't enough.
yeah I've used duratrax paint, it was good. i got duratrax for the same reason, tamiya has too little paint and all that.

yeah I've used duratrax paint, it was good. i got duratrax for the same reason, tamiya has too little paint and all that.
gonna see if i can get it through my LHS save on some shipping and get them more business lol, probably wont be in till tuesday though, body isn't coming till friday anyway i guess gives me more time to decide on paint scheme.
always indecisive on paint schemes/colors. not going to lie kind of suck at it too, but all i can do is what i can do. clutchbell should be in on friday too.

gonna see if i can get it through my LHS save on some shipping and get them more business lol, probably wont be in till tuesday though, body isn't coming till friday anyway i guess gives me more time to decide on paint scheme.
always indecisive on paint schemes/colors. not going to lie kind of suck at it too, but all i can do is what i can do. clutchbell should be in on friday too.
I'd do something sort of based off the raminator monster truck, maybe not as complex but I'd look to the raminator for inspiration.

I'd do something sort of based off the raminator monster truck, maybe not as complex but I'd look to the raminator for inspiration.
its kind of funny you say that, i remember for christmas one year me and my brother got these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shac...57-RC-4X4-PARTS-AS-IS-No-Remote-/143207546293
kinda started the love for RC's even more than the basic Wally world, forward-backwards/turn ones. still have them but in AK. originally the plan was to rob the bodies and put them on our wheely kings.
i was tempted to go the route of modeling it after the raminator, but for the rest of the build i was wanting to go black and green for it. eventually want to do it though, probably next body i get.

hey @cbaker65 , there is supposed to be a little ball bearing and spring behind the 2nd speed shift set screw correct? i thought there was, but been awhile since i pulled the 2 speed hub apart. also the sprag that is supposed to pop out to for the 2nd shift was also pretty jammed in there, had to pry on it to make it pop out.
hoping my LHS has one in their bin.

quick update:
local LHS did not have the part needed, they did have the 2 speed support rings, but not the hub, must have been remembering out of their Losi box.
got some paint ordered though, in on tuesday, had them bring in a dynamite 2mm hex driver. can't bring myself to trust the ball end type, they had some of those there, but even automotive they are way to prone to stripping the screw if its on there really tight.

sucks the truck has to be down for the count for the rest of the week, gonna shift into getting the LST to good running shape, tuned etc.

quick update:
local LHS did not have the part needed, they did have the 2 speed support rings, but not the hub, must have been remembering out of their Losi box.
got some paint ordered though, in on tuesday, had them bring in a dynamite 2mm hex driver. can't bring myself to trust the ball end type, they had some of those there, but even automotive they are way to prone to stripping the screw if its on there really tight.

sucks the truck has to be down for the count for the rest of the week, gonna shift into getting the LST to good running shape, tuned etc.
what paint color(s)? or is it supposed to be a cliff hanger and get some suspense going? on the ball end: I've never used ball ends becuase I've heard that they strip the screws (like u said) and I've seen so many people just snap them off clean. maybe for just snugging them down but ill never use one for tightening.

what paint color(s)? or is it supposed to be a cliff hanger and get some suspense going? on the ball end: I've never used ball ends becuase I've heard that they strip the screws (like u said) and I've seen so many people just snap them off clean. maybe for just snugging them down but ill never use one for tightening.
exactly my thoughts, i would use them for snugging, but for loosening or getting really tight, no thanks!

As far as the color will have to see, depending on how the paint comes out might never know! lol
Hoping i can do a good enough job on it, but I'm very in-experienced when it comes to painting. so many flaws on my red body i can see after the fact, and its been 10+ years since i even did that one!

exactly my thoughts, i would use them for snugging, but for loosening or getting really tight, no thanks!

As far as the color will have to see, depending on how the paint comes out might never know! lol
Hoping i can do a good enough job on it, but I'm very in-experienced when it comes to painting. so many flaws on my red body i can see after the fact, and its been 10+ years since i even did that one!
wow 10+years!!

Back