New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried running it again today, think I'm having air leak issues, will fire up, if i prime it, run for a few seconds then i have to keep blipping the throttle just a little bit and wind it up to keep it running. then once it winds up it runs good good amount of smoke from the pipe. then once i let off for a second it tries doing it again. idle seems a bit higher than i want, trying to tune that down a bit but can't keep it idling for long enough to really get a good read. have it on factory settings for the most part, tried starting slowly leaning it but can't keep it running to do it. gonna try sealing the tank think i am seeing some bubbles from the tank feed side with the rubber grommet.

got some goodies in today!

have a new pipe ordered too, stock one is pretty beat up, and holy %$#@ is it loud and gravely sounding. swapped tanks from my other MGT to it so i can check if that's what the issue with it running weird. when i swapped the heads i also took out one of the head shims didn't realize there was two there. hopefully can run it tomorrow!
Also getting some rims and tires to throw on it from a fellow forum member, thank you @Monkey Wrench
looking forward to the new skins!

Last edited:
Update:
Ordered some more goodies, just waiting for them in the mail:
got a new crankcase and backplate from Associated. don't know if it is noticeable in the pictures but alot of the screw holes that hold the starter assembly on the backplate are kind of trashed (on both pieces). the alloy around the screw holes on the outside are broken off on 3 of the 4 bolts and was remedied by a longer screw and a nut for them to thread into. it holds alright but kind of wanting to bring this back to factory+. (going to need a new crank bearing for good measure as well)
got both for 20$ +shipping
ordered a pipe and header set, dont need the header but i want a different pipe that is better condition (you can see the dents and dings in the picture how bad it is) and hopefully better performance.
was going to try to find a factory team blue tuned pipe to attempt keeping it factory spec, but the ones i found were definitely at a premium

still having some running issues, going to try starting it today to try to identify better what is going on. i tend to try to give it gas to keep it running when it tried dying out so going to force myself not to, so i can see how it is dying out.

update:
some goodies came in the mail, and some from the LHS, starting to get it pretty close to how i want it.
Thank you again for the tires and rims @Monkey Wrench! exactly what i was wanting and shaved so much weight from the old ones.
pipe sounds so nice on the truck! can't wait to really get it tuned in.
also got some alloy shock caps for the Traxxas shocks.

Last edited:
update:
got the crankcase and new backplate semi-installed, bearings should be in tomorrow so i get everything installed correctly, i am excited to try fast eddy bearings, talked to Ed there and has been super helpful in selection for bearings to use for this.
found a connecting rod for relatively cheap as well, 12$, so have that on order too for when the new piston/sleeve come in.
anyways some pictures below of what the "new" engine is shaping up to be:

i am getting super excited to have this truck getting closer and closer to being built (was gonna say "done" but in this hobby... are they ever?)
to whomever reading this thanks for following along on this project.

running into an issue with the flywheel/collet, seems that upon tightening down the flywheel nut it binds the front bearing, after some researching, it seems i can put shim of some sort behind the collet. I'm thinking the reasoning is the flywheel must be impacting outer bearing because the collet is receding to far into the flywheel? got a new collet anyway too, weirdly a traxxas one fits the same as the stock one.
also got all new screws for the engine, some were getting close to stripped out, had to use a Torx T8 to loosen a head screw.
guess a lesson on why not to use cheap Hex wrenches.

Found out what rim/tire was on here, Hot Bodies UFO/ Mayhem combo. i knew the tires looked familiar, at the time was wanting a set of those for my maxx, would have been way to big...

got some new goodies today!

(don't mind the LST engine brace lol)
got some RC Raven Dual Rates (going to go for a black and green theme on this truck almost want to swap the green axial motor over to it!)
and got the new piston/Sleeve/conn rod.
i knew the spring clip was small but oh my was it tiny, took a bit of doing but was able to get it installed.
heres some pics showing old vs new!
old:

New:

Old and new side by side:

gonna get the springs on there tomorrow, stripped screws on another build got a bit unnerving, so stepping away lol.
should have them all swapped over tomorrow, am curious if the MGT springs are gonna fit on the traxxas shocks. would probably need some sort of flange or washer to get it to work. if i can't get em to work will probably just get either 4 more MGT Shocks or get the raven springs for the maxx shock, will know tomorrow!
UPDATE: RC Raven MGT Springs fit very well on the 3762A Traxxas Ultra Shock! kind of pleased with only one RC raven spring and one MGT spring per corner, as of yet to decide on swapping all 8 out to the dual rates.
not excited because now i need to wait for it to warm back up to run it again, don't want to try breaking it in while its cold out, can't imagine that would be easy on it.
just means i get to run the other MGT until then and not feel bad that i have one torn apart waiting on me!

Last edited:
not to much to update as of yet, still a bit colder than i want for breaking it in.
I am looking into a body that i want, i like the topkick body, but i know that i will probably just paint it black or red. any other color to me doesn't look right on that truck.
also is this body: https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/ram-1500-mt-clear-body.asp
but its about an inch narrower than the stock body, needing to confirm it will even work.
Though i do like the look of the body that is on it at the moment.
May just pick up another one of the ones i have on it, if i could figure out what one it is. the grill resembles a 2007 ish chevy, but all the proline bodies I'm finding are different, or are for the stampede. (way to many scale and short course bodies pop up, kind of annoying.)
any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

think i am going to try the bake method to remove the tires from the rims and paint the rims.

Last edited:
finally getting warm enough out, hoping the weather will hold today. going to try my break in after work! going to follow the Manual break in procedure, https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/shared/25300_manual.pdf
seems to be semi standard for what i had done in the past if i remember correctly. (been 10 years or so since i last broke one in.)
can't wait to hear this engine fire up! i did swap the pipe from the .28 MGT to this one as the pipe is designed more for a .21 engine. its an SH Golden lion Off road tuned pipe. can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

got the engine pretty well broken in today, oh my god when this thing gets dialed in.... thing is fast already and 6 tanks in including break in. slowly dialing it in though, trying not to stay in the throttle to much :) these Rc Raven springs are so so so plush.... kicking myself for not getting them before for all my rigs.... probably gonna be ordering some soon for the LST,
this engine was definitely worth the wait and rebuild though imo.

Found some Factory Team Shock bodies for $8 a pair so ordered enough for the truck. now just on the lookout for FT Shock caps!
really need to order 2 more pairs of RPM a-arms, so the truck has matching front and back. haven't broken an A-arm yet though.

good work @D3MON !!!!!
Thank you!
gonna need to talk the lady into videoing it next time i run it!
its crazy how much lighter this one is compared to my MGT 4.6. aluminum really adds up i guess lol :dead:

update: got the FT Shock bodies in the mail today!
FT Shock bodies.jpg

was able to get them installed today, only have 4 actual MGT shocks on the truck as of yet, so have the 4 extras for when i do get MGT shocks.
i know its kind of backwards to get the shock bodies first then get the shock caps, but the price was too good to not buy these. (or so i tell myself).
so far have no had a shock cap pop off either so at the moment not worried about it.
mid way through install:
Shock in progress.jpg

Installed:
Shock built.jpg

thanks for following the build!

Update:
was able to run about half a tank today, till had an issue, but OH MY are these shocks so plush, ended up swapping 2 of the fronts to 35WT and others being 50WT. rears are all 50WT.
steering servo seamed to lose power, or at least got really weak, going to charge the battery to make sure thats not it, but seemed way to sudden. i can hold the tire and at first it feels strong then just stops and doesn't hardly move. and when i am not holding it it seems to work, but catches during the swing and gets all choppy.
if charging the battery doesn't work, going to have to tear into it, see if gears got stripped.
was still the stock servo, and by the looks of the truck it definitely had a full life and definitely wouldnt hold it against it, if it is in fact burnt up. to be honest surprised it was still working! especially with those huge heavy tires it had when i got it.
luckily i had just upgraded "Red" steering servo because i wanted a waterproof, lipo compatible, servo. (went with a Hitec HS646WP) no crazy torque but i had the Hitec HS645 (same servo just not WP or Lipo compatible) in it before. so if it is bad i can just swap that one in. (sorry to my Axial Ax10).

Side note:
i knew it wasn't getting to 2nd gear but i thought it was because it was running to rich, nope the person before had tightened the speed adjustment (black screw) all the way. no wonder it wasn't hitting second.
next time i can try getting that adjusted to how i want it.

good news, battery was just low i think, been awhile since I've run a rx battery out... didnt think it had been that long, though with fighting with it starting before with the bad piston sleeve, looking back its definitely been on and running for awhile.
wont have to rob the servo from the crawler now!

Last edited:
Had my first wheel failure, it was kind of expected though, as when installing i knew it was weak, but it lasted long enough. ordering some new proline 40 series dishes off ebay, was hoping to be able to find wheels similar to what i had on it, but have not yet been able to track some down.
From outside.jpg
Hex Close up 2.jpg
Hex close up.jpg

Keep the prop on the back and do a amphibious build ? Would be different lol

Its looking great ,you wont be disappointed with durability of the truck ,however ,probably
not the fastest with that engine ,the engines are reliable an easy to tune ,an those trucks
are tough!
Keep up the good work!...:thumbs-up:

Back