New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its looking great ,you wont be disappointed with durability of the truck ,however ,probably
not the fastest with that engine ,the engines are reliable an easy to tune ,an those trucks
are tough!
Keep up the good work!...:thumbs-up:
Thank you, yeah this thing is fun, I may bump up a tooth or two on the CB because the 54t spur, so far am very pleased with this engine, so easy to tune and work on and mostly original to the MGT, I know it's not going to be a power beast but I have the red one for that lol
Thank you all for the kind words to keep me getting this thing dialed in!

Last edited:
ordered 2 pairs of pro-line velocity wheels off ebay, weren't bad pricing, saw some integy 40 series pins and wheels for sale too, but knowing their aluminum kinda made my shy away, anyone have experience with their tires/wheels?
going to have to remove the tires from wheels i have existing though.
has anyone here tried doing the acetone and or heat gun method for removing them?
I'm thinking the acetone fume way is the way to try first, or maybe acetone and Q-Tip.
sucks that i am having to not use this rims as the rest of them are near perfect condition, but searching for more for sale even in different colors is not going so well.
going off calculations as well it seems that if i bump up 1 tooth on the clutchbell it will get me closest to stock gearing. anyone have any ideas if in stock form these rigs felt undergeared anyways? or did stock gearing seem to work really well?
may just try 16 tooth instead of the stock 15 just to be safe.

ordered 2 pairs of pro-line velocity wheels off ebay, weren't bad pricing, saw some integy 40 series pins and wheels for sale too, but knowing their aluminum kinda made my shy away, anyone have experience with their tires/wheels?
going to have to remove the tires from wheels i have existing though.
has anyone here tried doing the acetone and or heat gun method for removing them?
I'm thinking the acetone fume way is the way to try first, or maybe acetone and Q-Tip.
sucks that i am having to not use this rims as the rest of them are near perfect condition, but searching for more for sale even in different colors is not going so well.
going off calculations as well it seems that if i bump up 1 tooth on the clutchbell it will get me closest to stock gearing. anyone have any ideas if in stock form these rigs felt undergeared anyways? or did stock gearing seem to work really well?
may just try 16 tooth instead of the stock 15 just to be safe.

I removed tires before by boiling the tires in a pan of water an using a utility knife blade!
it worked ok ,some spots were hard ,but the knife would help.
Have to be careful an not slice the tire!
Boiling crystalizes the glue an makes the glue crack off!

I think that the stock gearing on the 4.6 version was 15 or 16 t bell ,an 52t on the spur ,but if
your running bigger tires & wheels with the 21 ,it might hender the top end!

I removed tires before by boiling the tires in a pan of water an using a utility knife blade!
it worked ok ,some spots were hard ,but the knife would help.
Have to be careful an not slice the tire!
Boiling crystalizes the glue an makes the glue crack off!

I think that the stock gearing on the 4.6 version was 15 or 16 t bell ,an 52t on the spur ,but if
your running bigger tires & wheels with the 21 ,it might hender the top end!
was reading a bit on the boiling method, seems like more than not have had issues with wheels deforming, and foams disintegrating. foams and tires are my biggest worry, wouldnt mind keeping the wheels usable though.

am running the 40 series big joes right now, they are about .25" smaller (diameter) than stock tires, and loads lighter, also have that RRP spur which is 2 teeth higher, might bump up 2 teeth for that reason. and with the FOC and all that reverse weight id imagine it would still be a bit torque-ier feeling than stock. guess if its too much i can test it out on my other MGT gain some more torque.

am running the 40 series big joes right now, they are about .25" smaller (diameter) than stock tires, and loads lighter, also have that RRP spur which is 2 teeth higher, might bump up 2 teeth for that reason. and with the FOC and all that reverse weight id imagine it would still be a bit torque-ier feeling than stock. guess if its too much i can test it out on my other MGT gain some more torque.

I don't know what the stock 21 version gearing was ,or if it was the same as the 4.6 version.....
I jumped into the 4.6 version when it came out ,it came with the 52t!

The 54t maybe better for your 21!...:cool:

I don't know what the stock 21 version gearing was ,or if it was the same as the 4.6 version.....
I jumped into the 4.6 version when it came out ,it came with the 52t!

The 54t maybe better for your 21!...:cool:
have the 54t in both MGT's as it was the only tooth count RRP made for the MGT, from all the research i was able to dig up they are both 15tooth cb and 52 spur, the 8.0 was the only one they changed stock gearing on, i just have never ran stock gearing with stock-ish motors on them until now.

have the 54t in both MGT's as it was the only tooth count RRP made for the MGT, from all the research i was able to dig up they are both 15tooth cb and 52 spur, the 8.0 was the only one they changed stock gearing on, i just have never ran stock gearing with stock-ish motors on them until now.
so far even though it is only a .21 in the truck i have to say i am pretty impressed with the power this thing cranks out. if i had my slipper tightened a bit more and had good grip i feel i could get this thing to wheelie. still need to adjust the 2nd gear on it. wish the manual had the factory setting for the 2speed hub as a start point, think I'm gonna get the other adjusted to hit 2nd gear where i want it then get that turn count and apply it to this one for a start point. the other one is getting into second albeit at this point a bit early so i need to tighten it.
EDIT: think i found it in the setup sheet on associated's website to be 6 1/4 turns out gonna try that!
can't wait for these new wheels to come in!

Be careful an not turn it out too much!...LOL

I usually just turn it out in 1/8 increments until it starts to shift!
Too much out ,an the paw will stay out locking it into second!

Be careful an not turn it out too much!...LOL

I usually just turn it out in 1/8 increments until it starts to shift!
Too much out ,an the paw will stay out locking it into second!
more or less what I'm worried about lol.

If it is late on shifting or no shift at all ,then it needs to be turned out a little ,but ,if the engine is running
rich an sluggish ,it will cause a late shift as well!
engine was really close to how i want it tuned. i didnt really know how far to back out the screw so i backed it out 1 turn, from snug which wasn't enough, hoping the weather dries out some soon so i can attempt this again, i may throw the old tires back on it for now just to have it rolling again.

engine was really close to how i want it tuned. i didnt really know how far to back out the screw so i backed it out 1 turn, from snug which wasn't enough, hoping the weather dries out some soon so i can attempt this again, i may throw the old tires back on it for now just to have it rolling again.

That trans. hub ,an shaft assembly does every now an then get out of wack!
I remember having some issues with it ,they get sloppy an worn were sometimes the paw will hang
up an not catch for 2 gear!
Its been a long time sense I had mine apart ,! can't remember how many turns out it takes to allow
the paw to swing out an catch ,I don't even think that I counted ,I just kept turning a little at a time
until a shift ,happened!
One time that is how I discovered that something was wrong ,I turned it out almost until the grub almost
fell out an no shift ,an one time lost the screw ,spring an the little ball inside the trans ,an it messed the
gears up.
So ,I try to keep a real close check on that perticular spot when I mess with it!....:D

That trans. hub ,an shaft assembly does every now an then get out of wack!
I remember having some issues with it ,they get sloppy an worn were sometimes the paw will hang
up an not catch for 2 gear!
Its been a long time sense I had mine apart ,! can't remember how many turns out it takes to allow
the paw to swing out an catch ,I don't even think that I counted ,I just kept turning a little at a time
until a shift ,happened!
One time that is how I discovered that something was wrong ,I turned it out almost until the grub almost
fell out an no shift ,an one time lost the screw ,spring an the little ball inside the trans ,an it messed the
gears up.
So ,I try to keep a real close check on that perticular spot when I mess with it!....:D
Will definitely keep an eye on that I remember that coming apart on my maxx only have it backed 1 turn or so and that setup sheet showed 6, gonna start at 5 then go from there

Last edited:
well got the broken rim off the tire last night, did a mix of the q-tip/acetone route, and suspended above an acetone bath in a sealed container. definitely works the fingers out. came out really clean though(will post pics later.
definitely not the easiest thing I've done but the foams survived without any ill effects. did my best not to touch the foam with acetone.
for now just for the sake of getting the 2nd gear dialed in, going to start with the rear tires. going to weight the tires i think to make sure there is not a huge difference between the rims' weights.
first set of new wheels should be coming in today!
the seller on ebay is being slow about shipping the other set of rims out hoping its not going to prove an issue.

Hoping to have it ready to go by Monday/Tuesday, as its my birthday and my buddy is getting his first nitro that day (depending on the USPS gods) he ordered an old RC10GT, and a Nitro RS4 Racer 2. so will be taking some time away from my own rigs to help him get that set up, but the RS4 seems to be a complete roller, and the RC10GT is mostly RTR but the engine was seized, from the looks of it though it could have just sat and gummed up, or it still has a lot of pinch. thing looks brand new.
hoping to have the fleet going by then.

Last edited:
got the second tire off the wheel, this one proved to be a PITA, tried letting it sit suspended over acetone, worked to soften parts of it,, but not very effective. ended up going at it again with a Q-tip soaked in acetone again, then when that wasn't working well went to the heat gun, wich worked okay, in the end alternated between the heat gun and acetone q-tip. didnt really care as much for keeping the wheel intact but did my best not to destroy it.
plan on painting the wheels tomorrow, was going to go with a green as close to the color of the springs as i can, given that they are dish rims and have much more surface area, it may be too much though, gotta decide on that... soon.

got the second tire off the wheel, this one proved to be a PITA, tried letting it sit suspended over acetone, worked to soften parts of it,, but not very effective. ended up going at it again with a Q-tip soaked in acetone again, then when that wasn't working well went to the heat gun, wich worked okay, in the end alternated between the heat gun and acetone q-tip. didnt really care as much for keeping the wheel intact but did my best not to destroy it.
plan on painting the wheels tomorrow, was going to go with a green as close to the color of the springs as i can, given that they are dish rims and have much more surface area, it may be too much though, gotta decide on that... soon.

I used the fluoresnce green on my trucks with a clear coat on top of it ,the clear coat knocked some
of the brightness off of it!

I used the fluoresnce green on my trucks with a clear coat on top of it ,the clear coat knocked some
of the brightness off of it!

really like that, are those the RC Raven dual rates as well? or are those another shock?
think i might do more or less green accents, plan on doing a black lid for it with green accents. i like the cut-outs in the black mud guards.
lol was on ebay and saw this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardcore-R...umper-Mount-Associated-HCR-13212/232953169867
i like the purple touch though

really like that, are those the RC Raven dual rates as well? or are those another shock?
think i might do more or less green accents, plan on doing a black lid for it with green accents. i like the cut-outs in the black mud guards.
lol was on ebay and saw this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardcore-R...umper-Mount-Associated-HCR-13212/232953169867
i like the purple touch though

My springs are painted ,but later ,I will eventually get something else.

That HC bumper brace is nice ,but you would have to find the mate ,those parts are getting scarce ,so any time
you do find them ,snatch them up!

I had a chance one time to get the front an rear green HC body post ,but some a$$ hole snatched one
out from underneath me ,the seller was selling them separate!.....:doh::doh::doh:

My springs are painted ,but later ,I will eventually get something else.

That HC bumper brace is nice ,but you would have to find the mate ,those parts are getting scarce ,so any time
you do find them ,snatch them up!

I had a chance one time to get the front an rear green HC body post ,but some a$$ hole snatched one
out from underneath me ,the seller was selling them separate!.....:doh::doh::doh:
I will say I do really recommend the rc ravens, think on sale for like 10$ atm

I will say I do really recommend the rc ravens, think on sale for like 10$ atm

Yea I know that they are out there ,just haven't purchased any yet ,too many projects!
That green truck will probably sit for another 10 yrs.

I got to buy fuel next week ,I have to break-in a engine ,but may let it sit as well as I
want to get some of my street rides up an running ,some sat for a couple of years!....

Back