New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok just didnt know, i know my axial has a long plug. running a hot plug for winter. found a cylinder and sleeve for the .21 tempted to get to keep it original, or find a 4.6 but may just either rebuild that .25 hpi or find a different engine like another axial .28 or novarossi legend 28-7/8
forward thinking anyway, will be awhile before i upgrade. gonna wait till the .21 goes, then swap the .25, then go from there.
also thanks to @cbaker65 list may try to snag the TT variant of the .28 :p
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/ae-mip-parts.115201/

Last edited:
ok just didnt know, i know my axial has a long plug. running a hot plug for winter. found a cylinder and sleeve for the .21 tempted to get to keep it original, or find a 4.6 but may just either rebuild that .25 hpi or find a different engine like another axial .28 or novarossi legend 28-7/8
forward thinking anyway, will be awhile before i upgrade. gonna wait till the .21 goes, then swap the .25, then go from there.
also thanks to @cbaker65 list may try to snag the TT variant of the .28 :p
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/ae-mip-parts.115201/

That 28 BX engine is a good deal for 95 bucks

Just picked up an almost spotless MGT 8.0 I am looking for a header and pipe that are the side version if anyone has any ideas. Other than starting the engine prior to buying I have not had a chance to run it yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 f so I will run it along with my Losi lx2

Just picked up an almost spotless MGT 8.0 I am looking for a header and pipe that are the side version if anyone has any ideas. Other than starting the engine prior to buying I have not had a chance to run it yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 f so I will run it along with my Losi lx2
found this;
https://www.rcmodelscout.com/Gas-Glow-Motors/Associated-Optional-Header-MGT-8-0-ASC25732/333726
https://www.losipartshouse.com/ASC25732-p/asc25732.htm
what i could find anyway, the 8.0 is a bolt on type header as the 4.6/.21R are the gasket and spring retained.
Hope it helps!

That is what I looking for now to find it.
it appears that the losi parts warehouse had the header piece in stock and was only 12$, also take a look at that link that above that Cbaker65 put together for replacement parts, they are getting harder to find so that database he is putting together is pretty damn handy!

Happy Rcing!

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it states out of stock at Losi warehouse. Thank you
For 12 dollars I am all over it

Oh yeah now it is saying it is out of stock, sorry about that, I'd check that part # on Google someone might have it, or check out the manual for it, may be a part # for the blue one.
just looked i guess they didnt make a blue one sorry

Last edited:
so got the rear diff rebuilt, new bearings and grease. weirdly didnt need to shim the pinion. i think that shortly before someone sold the truck someone crashed it hard into something because the whole front end is brand new, the rear forward shock mounts on the shock tower were never threaded into, the front rearward lower a-arms were never threaded into from shock mounting screws, the diff seemed brand new. so just added a bit more grease for good measure and closed her back up. the lady even helped by cleaning the tires/rims, body, and the other bigger parts! can't wait to get the rest of the stuff to be able to run it! it is 5F though and is supposed to be that cold all week. but air filter is going to be by about the 8th anyways.

brand new Boca Bearings in today for the Hub Carriers, air filter oil, and the Slipper Clutch hardware kit (really only needed the spring but couldnt find them seperate). ordered a 4 pack of filters as well. yet to test but it seems that the gold springs are way to soft, going to be ordering some RC Raven dual rate springs before long here.

filters came in, now just waiting on the rx/tx to come in and some warmth!

wow that is no good :( hope ya start feeling better soon, its been 0F here past few days and a lot of windchill.

wow that is no good :( hope ya start feeling better soon, its been 0F here past few days and a lot of windchill.

Well ,the past few years ,the weather here has been mild in the winter ,It would freeze ,when we have a freeze ,we have
a nice warm sunny day ,but this winter ,we are having rain an cold days as we are having a lot of cold fronts ,an we are
getting more snow up in the mountains an as low as 3500 ft. ,an its not over ,it may get lower!

But anyway ,feeling better ,an want to get started back on my truck ,I do have parts prepared to go on.
I am going to start putting the stock carrier knuckles on for now until I can figure out the aluminum ones ,
I wont be bashing it too hard yet ....LOL ,but anxious on getting it back together for a run!

I never have engine problems ,so that is always good!...?

I never have engine problems ,so that is always good!...?
better knock on wood! dont want to jinx it!!! got a side header for the new mgt, i just hate the exhaust right next to the shocks.
also got the FOC in there, hold crap thats alot of weight! i really need to do that to my lst! still waiting for warmth and the radio XD

better knock on wood! dont want to jinx it!!! got a side header for the new mgt, i just hate the exhaust right next to the shocks.
also got the FOC in there, hold crap thats alot of weight! i really need to do that to my lst! still waiting for warmth and the radio XD

Glad to see you make progress ,lol ....I think that is one of the first things that people change ,the header & FOC.!

When you get rid of reverse ,you get rid of dead weight ,an its easier on the trans...That is a huge difference in
performance!

I have 2 side headers ,one on my basher an one on my queen ,however ,I don't use the queen ,I could have let
it go if you could not find one ,it is very hard to find those parts anymore ,unless a LHS may still have old stock!...?

Luckily my LHS had 3 of them, 2 blues and a silver, I did buy the silver.
The foc was the first thing I did on my other but 10 ish years I forgot just how much weight. It wasn't until just getting back into RC a month ago that I ever actually noticed that the exhaust was factory behind the engine. I really dont like that so much though, way to close to the shocks. Thanks for following the progress! Have a few ideas what next to do on it but will get there when I get there.
might go down and buy the blue one too, can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Last edited:
TX came in today, bought a "Radio System" off ebay, guess i should have taken that with a grain of salt, was TX only. luckily the LHS had a tactic receiver in stock for about 25$. i am really liking the tactic radio system so far, easy to use, good range, and really small receiver. really strange seeing receivers without crystals, and the size they are getting to be! going to need to fab up some sort of RX lid as the truck's was broken off prior to my ownership.
coming down with either a flu or a really nasty cold, and its supposed to be warmer tomorrow, hoping will be able to fire her up tomorrow.

got it fired up, took it out for its first run, all the needle settings are factory settings so tune is way off.
was getting dark so only had a few minutes.

P.S. finally figured out how to post videos to youtube so i could upload them here lol.

quick update,
found on the RC10 website that they had some parts for the .21 for sale and on clearance and saw this:
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/25387-ASC25387-ft_blue_monster_gt_cylinder_head/

and always loved the look of that cooling head so decided to buy it but i know the motor is not going to last forever so managed to find a cylinder/piston combo for right around 50$ shipped (1-2 weeks shipping sadly). so i jumped on it. (is one left if anyone wants to buy one as well).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSOCIATED-25310-Chemise-piston-MOTEUR-AE21/292043397850?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=765243a8f3634416aaf99771f74d6156&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=lo&sd=292043397850&itm=292043397850&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:434da74d-309a-11e9-bdeb-74dbd1808724|parentrq:edc70f4c1680ac3d8a2465a4fff1fddc|iid:1
i know these motors aren't the best or anything but from what I've seen in a more worn out one i am more then happy with the performance, i am not a wheelie person so the torque factor isn't huge to me.

here is a link to the rest of the .21 parts. i couldn't find the 4.6se motor parts for sale on their site, there was a .28 but it is NOT the same part number on the engine as the one that came with the 4.6se mgt
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/nitro_engines/engine_offroad/25300_21_Parts/
found the parts list for the 4.6, not as much stuff in stock but does look like they have backplates, carbs, and cases!
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/25354-ASC25354-ae_pro_4_60_engine_pull_start/

Last edited:
Back