New to hobby need help on buying my first truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pienk Blitz

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey i am looking to buy my first nitro RC truck need some help.

HSP 1/10 Monster Nitro Truck RTR ? is this a good beginers truck? only for playing on farm.

Hey i am looking to buy my first nitro RC truck need some help.

HSP 1/10 Monster Nitro Truck RTR ? is this a good beginers truck? only for playing on farm.

This truck?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Nitro-G...924989&hash=item23ac31cb63:g:nykAAOSwIMtbbOo9

It looks like a great truck to start with if your on a budget!

The trick is ,if parts are easily to get when they wear out or break ,you will need to find out!
The best place to find parts for that stuff is E-bay ,so you will need a pay-pal account ,or
maybe your local hobby store if you have one may stock parts or order your parts for you!...Good luck!...:cool:

Yes my local hobby shop have all the parts i need i am buying it from them so i will not buy somthing i will regret?

Yes my local hobby shop have all the parts i need i am buying it from them so i will not buy somthing i will regret?

That's great then ,I looked at the truck ,it looks pretty durable an it has all steel drivetrain gears!
You will need a couple xtra glow-plugs when you break the engine in!...:cool:

That's great then ,I looked at the truck ,it looks pretty durable an it has all steel drivetrain gears!
You will need a couple xtra glow-plugs when you break the engine in!...:cool:

What is the best way to break it in have been watching few youtube videos but it seems like a long proses? Realy nesasery for all thos steps and 5 tanks later?

What is the best way to break it in have been watching few youtube videos but it seems like a long proses? Realy nesasery for all thos steps and 5 tanks later?

Well ,yea!.....
I set mine up on a block ,an let it idle with short quick blips of throttle to clear the engine of ecsessive fuel for 3 tanks ,
if you don't blip the throttle ,it will die ,you got to keep it running as the engine is factory set real rich for the break-in!

Then I lean the HSN in about an1/8 of a turn ,an drive the truck around through the fourth tank ,the 5th ,lean another
1/8 turn an drive it around.
The engine will start to rev high ,so you will need to adjust the idle set screw to calm the engine down!
Never let the engine rev high at this point ,an try to hold the car still ,it will fry your clutch shoes or over heat
the engine an damage it!
Monitor the heat ,an don't let it get too hot that it will sizzle a drop of water on the cylinder head!

After you achieve this ,then you can start to fine tune the HSN & LSN settings ,but ,not too much ,because
the engine is not fully broke in ,it would only need to be tuned enough where it will run & stay running for
a few more tanks!

For a final tune ,you should read up on the engine tune guide here ;https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

I always run my engines a little on the rich side to help prolong the life of the engine ,an to save
it from any mishaps that might accure while running the ride!...:cool:

Note;This is how I break in my engines ,feel free to get other opinions!...

Last edited:
Welcome to RCT! I bought that truck for my nephew to get him started in Nitro. Was better than I expected. Break-in went real smooth and truck runs great.

Well ,yea!.....
I set mine up on a block ,an let it idle with short quick blips of throttle to clear the engine of ecsessive fuel for 3 tanks ,
if you don't blip the throttle ,it will die ,you got to keep it running as the engine is factory set real rich for the break-in!

Then I lean the HSN in about an1/8 of a turn ,an drive the truck around through the fourth tank ,the 5th ,lean another
1/8 turn an drive it around.
The engine will start to rev high ,so you will need to adjust the idle set screw to calm the engine down!
Never let the engine rev high at this point ,an try to hold the car still ,it will fry your clutch shoes or over heat
the engine an damage it!
Monitor the heat ,an don't let it get too hot that it will sizzle a drop of water on the cylinder head!

After you achieve this ,then you can start to fine tune the HSN & LSN settings ,but ,not too much ,because
the engine is not fully broke in ,it would only need to be tuned enough where it will run & stay running for
a few more tanks!

For a final tune ,you should read up on the engine tune guide here ;https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

I always run my engines a little on the rich side to help prolong the life of the engine ,an to save
it from any mishaps that might accure while running the ride!...:cool:

Note;This is how I break in my engines ,feel free to get other opinions!...

Tx i am going to buy the truck on monday so will let you know how it went.

Welcome to RCT! I bought that truck for my nephew to get him started in Nitro. Was better than I expected. Break-in went real smooth and truck runs great.

Oky that makes me much more calm to buy this truck. Tx for the heads up.

I broke it in pretty much the same way cbaker65 does. If you can try to set it on a brick or something to keep the wheels off the ground for the first few tanks you idle through. Will save your clutch shoes.

I broke it in pretty much the same way cbaker65 does. If you can try to set it on a brick or something to keep the wheels off the ground for the first few tanks you idle through. Will save your clutch shoes.

Oky all of the above i will do i read the artical cbaker65 has given and there is everything i need.
Tx for all the help.

@Pienk Blitz what is your budget for a new RC monster truck?
i live in SA so about 250 to 300$

This truck?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Nitro-G...924989&hash=item23ac31cb63:g:nykAAOSwIMtbbOo9

It looks like a great truck to start with if your on a budget!

The trick is ,if parts are easily to get when they wear out or break ,you will need to find out!
The best place to find parts for that stuff is E-bay ,so you will need a pay-pal account ,or
maybe your local hobby store if you have one may stock parts or order your parts for you!...Good luck!...:cool:
I have baught the truck ran it today and runs good on rich mixture struguls to idle for 1min straight but runs good wil lean it oit after about 2L of feul ran through
the engin

Yeah this guy is pretty knowledgeable. I’ve ordered a couple trucks from Nitrorcx.com. Always got great service from them.

i have the same truck and its enjoyable for sure!!! runs great!!! On a farm u need a light kit I'm sure its dark!!!