New to crawling hobby.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daron

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello all.

I’m new to the crawling hobby. With the winter weather here in Western PA, I decided to start with a micro crawler for the indoors. What would you experienced guy’s recommend for the fist unit to be? I’m an older guy that enjoys tinkering on things. So available parts are important to me.

Thank you, Daron

Welcome aboard, the most capable out of the box in my opinion is the Axial SCX24 Deadbolt. It is also the lowest priced SCX24. Almost anything you can imagine is available in the upgrades department for the SCX24 lineup. There are lots of good rigs but this would be my first choice....wait I think it was my first mini crawler. 🤣 These things are great fun, highly portable and great for when the weather sucks. :thumbs-up:

I second an SCX24. The number of upgrades available for them is unbelievable. And they aren't bad to work on either.

SCX24
Awesome crawlers. Modification galore, and typically inexpensive to boot!
Here's one of more drastic transformation.
1212211536b.jpg

0127221644c.jpg

Welcome in @Daron , the SCX24 wins it hands down, and out of all offered, I think the Deadbolt is the best.
Awesome crawler right out of the box.

Well, after all the great advice, I ordered the Deadbolt.
Even at 58 years old, I still get excited by small mechanical items. 😂
I’m now looking at upgrades.

Thank you all.

Great choice. I installed RC4WD Mudslingers, which are a tiny bit bigger than other tire upgrades so they look awesome. Furitek Stinger brushless system, lots of brass weight down low including, brass wheel weights, diff covers,
and aluminum linkage.

IMG_0761.JPG

We corrupted another one!
5976-evil-plan.png

Awesome choice Daron. This used to be a Deadbolt, but now it goes by Deadbox. Still need to get the Deadpool figure put in it.
20220417_155225.jpg

Good brands for upgrades for them...
Treal, Hot Racing, Furitek, PN Racing, and a few others. The first thing I would do is upgrade the servo. I highly recommend the Ecopower 827 servo and Hot Racing mount, part number HRASXTF24M01. You might grab a steering linkage upgrade as well. Treal and Hot Racing have really nice ones.

From there, wheel hub extensions will make it more stable. I like the Treal +5mm. These will add a bit of scrub steer, but the Ecopower servo won't care.

From there, wheels and tires. www.rc4wd.com has a nice selection of 1.0 sized wheels and tires. www.boomracing.com also has a nice set of wheels in 1.0.

Then add a brass front diff cover, maybe upgrade the motor, and you will have something that would make a miniature moon rover jealous.

Welcome to the secret RCT SCX24 club brother Daron 😉

Last edited:
I’m going to show a little restraint. Well, for a lil while. 🤣😂🤣🤣
We corrupted another one!
View attachment 159642

Awesome choice Daron. This used to be a Deadbolt, but now it goes by Deadbox. Still need to get the Deadpool figure put in it.
View attachment 159639

Good brands for upgrades for them...
Treal, Hot Racing, Furitek, PN Racing, and a few others. The first thing I would do is upgrade the servo. I highly recommend the Ecopower 827 servo and Hot Racing mount, part number HRASXTF24M01. You might grab a steering linkage upgrade as well. Threal and Hot Racing have really nice ones.

From there, wheel hub extensions will make it more stable. I like the Treal +5mm. These will add a bit of scrub steer, but the Ecopower servo won't care.

From there, wheels and tires. www.rc4wd.com has a nice selection of 1.0 sized wheels and tires. www.boomracing.com also has a nice set of wheels in 1.0.

Then add a brass front diff cover, maybe upgrade the motor, and you will have something that would make a miniature moon rover jealous.

Welcome to the secret RCT SCX24 club brother Daron 😉
I’m addicted. Past the point of NO return.

I’m going to show a little restraint. Well, for a lil while. 🤣😂🤣🤣

I’m addicted. Past the point of NO return.
You will be fine with the Deadbolt in stock form. It's a pretty amazing little guy right out of the box. Just upgrade when you see a need.

You will be fine with the Deadbolt in stock form. It's a pretty amazing little guy right out of the box. Just upgrade when you see a need.
You are right but I do remember feeling a little frustrated by its tendency to side tip on slopes. 4 hex extensions on the axles widen the wheel base and make a huge difference for little cost. Also a little weight on the wheels. Brass wheel inserts are recommended but i just use plumbers solder for zero cost. It works fine. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/attachments/img_20211218_133923459-jpg.139236/

I stay away from adding too much rotational weight. Getting some brass steering knuckles and a brass front diff cover would be a really good way to add weight down low.

I stay away from adding too much rotational weight. Getting some brass steering knuckles and a brass front diff cover would be a really good way to add weight down low.
Thankyou, I am sure you are right although might rotational weight be less of an issue in a slow crawler? The extra value of the hex extenders is in widening the wheel base - But yes this all puts more strain on the servo. Like many here I have swapped the servo for an emax and I replaced the motor about 10 months ago both relatively cheap and easy to do. But this is where the hobby gets a bit addictive. I find it hard to resist fiddling with the rig!

Thankyou, I am sure you are right although might rotational weight be less of an issue in a slow crawler? The extra value of the hex extenders is in widening the wheel base - But yes this all puts more strain on the servo. Like many here I have swapped the servo for an emax and I replaced the motor about 10 months ago both relatively cheap and easy to do. But this is where the hobby gets a bit addictive. I find it hard to resist fiddling with the rig!
Less rotational weight is just easier on the motor and drivetrain, and you'll have better throttle response for those moments when you need to goose the throttle.

The SCX24 is really setup pretty good from the factory. The only real weak points I have seen is the motor, servo, and steering linkage. Everything else works pretty darn good. So adding other bits to lower the CG is about the only stuff I'll be adding to ours.

Even the shocks work pretty well, and if you get a little extra weight low in the chassis to get some decent droop on the shocks, it performs so much better, and you get rid of that oil-free shock bounce. But you can also put a dab of synthetic grease in them to make them a little smoother.

The aftermarket shocks I have seen park the shocks fully extended, so until someone comes out with shocks that allow a droop setup, I'll be steering clear of any upgrades there. Sourcing a lighter spring would help tremendously.

I’m taking notes on all this information. I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

I've never been concerned about rotational weights on these SCX24s. All 5 of my rigs have metal wheels along with other brass components to lower the center of gravity. I've only had one motor died. However, brushed motors for these are fairly cheap $10-$15.
There is one info that is essential. On a stock set-up, make sure you do not over tighten the screws that holds the wheel to the axle. It will cause binding. Only tighten until there's little to no play with the wheel.

Back